Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
This makes me think all those purported iPhone 6 shells out there were really just for these Android based knock-offs.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
lawsuit in 3..2..1..

Are you kidding me? It's not the US. It's China. A good portion of things made in China are stolen intellectual property. The gov't looks the other way and keeps a few people employed. Perhaps a form a welfare? This is the luxury of world's manufacturing superpower.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
You mean like back in 2007?

Yup! Like that one time in 2007. Even then the iPhone rumors swirled for two years. But it was a shocker when announced and revealed to the world. At this point I don't understand the shroud in secrecy by Apple. Every announcement is a huge disappointment because we are all expecting the features that won't appear until next years model: i.e. 32GB starting size, etc...

Even grandmothers at the supermarket are talking to one another: Don't get the 5S, the 6 is coming on September 19th in two sizes: 4.7 and 5.5. And there are rumors of a shapphire display and haptic feedback on the 5.5. Until apple makes the phones in a bunker underneath Cupertino, those announcements will NEVER have any surprises.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
In a world where people who love Apple quality hardware and iOS and the ecosystem can buy an Apple phone as they do now.

Also, as Apple make a LOT of profit on hardware.

The majority of people who don't want iOS but prefer the openness of Android, BUT would enjoy the look and build quality of an Apple device.

Then Apple can offer their hardware to both camps, people who want to use iOS and people who want to use Android.

Why would that be such a crazy concept if they make money either way?

Unless you feel that current Apple users would leave iOS as they could get Android, on Apple build hardware.

Android iPhone? Now there's a novel idea! How about doing a Windows iPhone? ; > \
Somebody get this Piggie home and way clear of Apple branding and corporate strategy sessions...OR...rent the lil oinkster to KMart, Walmart, JCP or why not just go all the way and waddle around in the mud with any remaining Sears and other 'lets be all things to everybody, lotta money to be had' crowd." Oink.

Th3taJ

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2014
Milford, NH
I'm sure we'd all be VERY interested to see just how well an Android based iPhone would sell.

I would hazard a guess it would sell very very well.

Perhaps a future market for Apple as they make so much money from the hardware, why not sell iOS and Android iPhones ?

I think this would be cool since, honestly, I buy Apple for their hardware and because they look fantastic. :p When it comes to the iPhone, I do virtually everything on iOS 7 that I did on Android so I never really felt like one was superior to the other.

33man

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I would love that the people smashing iphones upon apple launch day in apple store will buy an iphone but smash this piece of... so at least no more extra production of iphone for all people smashing the phone on launch day :)

No shortage anymore :) :D

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
It's a ridiculous idea. Hardware/ Software integration is what makes the iphone so great. Apple likes to control every aspect of their device. They would never, I repeat NEVER use a direct competitors software on their hardware. It makes absolutely no sense from a business standpoint. I can't tell if you honestly think it's a good idea or if you're just saying it because you want an iPhone with android.

In the same way that you can run Windows on a Mac right? I’m sure there are plenty of people that want do do exactly as Piggie has said although I’m sure Apple won’t do it.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Complete with Android's ScrollLag™ technology!

And the one quarter resolution (960x540 pixels) that the actual iPhone 6 will have (I hope it's 1080p!)

In any case, the resolution of this phone is less than even the iPhone 4, it must look horrible on such a large 4.7 inch screen! The pixel density would be 234 ppi, that's closer to the original iPhone pixel density than any Retina iPhone since. Even less than the full size Retina iPad.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
That video justifies why Apple is being so secretive.

It's not about Microsoft, Google and Samsung copying them, it's about the Chinese.

Are all the leaks we've seen just parts for these knock-off phones? How do people know what the 6 will look like before it's released anyway?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I wouldn't count on that. There is a huge market for knock offs.
People want to have the prestige of looking like they own an iconic brand without having to pay the real price.

Notice the attention to detail of this clone. To the untrained eye it would look like the real thing. I bet if you put the real product next to the copy that most people would have trouble figuring out which was which.
They didn't show making a purchase from the :apple: App Store though.

The market may never die, but the individual companies could. I'd rather buy something that's less of a knockoff, like a Samsung phone. In general, everything I've bought from a company based in China has lost support quickly due to the company dying off, merging, changing names, etc, especially stuff that's grey-area like that HDCP removal box I needed for my Apple TV to work with my TV.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
This makes me think all those purported iPhone 6 shells out there were really just for these Android based knock-offs.

Exactly what I'm wondering. Maybe they've kind of fallen for their own mock-ups.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
Quad core and 1GB RAM and it still lags more than an iPhone 4 running iOS7..

this was what i was thinking

b46c2a.jpg

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Then Apple can offer their hardware to both camps, people who want to use iOS and people who want to use Android.

Why would that be such a crazy concept if they make money either way?

Unless you feel that current Apple users would leave iOS as they could get Android, on Apple build hardware.

Why would Apple support a competing ecosystem?

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Apple is building ~30 million of their devices as we speak. This garbage is probably built for about 100,000 people in China who don't know any better or care.

How is this anything more than a future lawsuit?

You can't sue a Chinese company that clones your device if they only sell it in China. China has no international patent laws. If this company attempts to export this product then Apple can block the export, but Apple can't do anything about this if the product is only sold to the Chinese.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
Apple is building ~30 million of their devices as we speak. This garbage is probably built for about 100,000 people in China who don't know any better or care.

How is this anything more than a future lawsuit?

It will sell way over 100,000. I travel several times a year on business through the Philippines. I was shocked at how huge the chinese iPhone clone market is in the Philippines. They even sell iPhone clones that run a clone of iOS!

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
I'm sure we'd all be VERY interested to see just how well an Android based iPhone would sell.

I would hazard a guess it would sell very very well.

Perhaps a future market for Apple as they make so much money from the hardware, why not sell iOS and Android iPhones ?

You didn't remotely understand why iOS works so good, why you can update iOS on older hardware, and especially you dind't understand Apple philosophy. Sure maybe if Apple will be near bankrupt in a quite impossible future scenario, and if Amelio runs Apple again.... Then it could happen this nightmare.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
100,000 people in China who don't know any better or care

Not to defend these rippoffs... but i imagine there are a crapload of poor people in China for who buying real Apple products at Apple prices is an impossibility... so its less to do with not knowing or caring and more to do with going with their only option.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I miss the days when innovation meant more to Apple than a slightly enlarged version of an existing product.

Unfortunately, the buying public doesn't care about innovation. The majority seem to only care about bigger screens and "flashy" features that don't really present new ideas.... Manufacturers cater to the things that will get people to buy, not trying something bold and new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.