WideProtect: Call Blocker

Paco II

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2009
I think it would be good to have some visual indication of this. Right now I see nothing in the app to validate that numbers are being pushed to iCloud.

Yeah, actually it's always enabled (every time you add/edit/delete some prefix, the app is trying to save new list to iCloud, if it's available).

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
Next version is issued (4.9):
- added ability to share prefix list via AirDrop
- added News screen (instead of popup view on main screen), hope it will be less annoying :)

csutak40

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2020
I have been using the app for quite a while, been very happy with it, just discovered this thread :)
I have two questions.
Recently upgraded my iPhone and it now has a setting to "silence unknown callers" which works brilliantly. I have a long list of blocked numbers in the app, but had no need to add any more since I discovered this. So, I am wondering, is there any purpose to keep using the app?
My next question is about the SMS-s. I hadn't noticed this before, went to set it up, and got this warning from Apple. That sounds pretty scary!
Apart from the obvious reason I wouldn't want this to happen (does it?) it made me realise that it may not be a great idea to set this up (also discovered that Apple has a similar setting too) because that would include verification codes I get as well. Shame really, I regularly get spam text messages as well (usually asking me to follow a link)

Attachments

valerii

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2017
Kharkiv, Ukraine
I have been using the app for quite a while, been very happy with it, just discovered this thread :)
I have two questions.
Recently upgraded my iPhone and it now has a setting to "silence unknown callers" which works brilliantly. I have a long list of blocked numbers in the app, but had no need to add any more since I discovered this. So, I am wondering, is there any purpose to keep using the app?
My next question is about the SMS-s. I hadn't noticed this before, went to set it up, and got this warning from Apple. That sounds pretty scary!
Apart from the obvious reason I wouldn't want this to happen (does it?) it made me realise that it may not be a great idea to set this up (also discovered that Apple has a similar setting too) because that would include verification codes I get as well. Shame really, I regularly get spam text messages as well (usually asking me to follow a link)
Hi, thank you very much for the message :)

First thing - "silence unknown callers" means blocking callers with hidden number (usually they are displayed as "Unknown number" or "Unknown caller"), but it does not mean callers not from your contacts. So, you should still use WideProtect to block spammers using prefix.
SMSs - iOS provides two ways to mark SMSs as "spam":
1) app can ask own web-service (and send there sender number and sms text) to recognize that it's a spam
2) app can decide locally if this sms is spam
WideProtect uses only second case, it mark SMS as spam based on sender number (check it by prefixes in the app) and text (check it by keywords in the app).