Widescreen iBook?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Digitimes claims that Quanta Computer has recently obtained orders for a New model of Apple iBook.

Quanta, already the biggest contract maker for Apple’s PowerBooks, will start to ship 14.1-inch widescreen iBooks as early as the fourth quarter of 2005, the sources said.
In general, Digitimes' reports have been consistently inaccurate. Last report claimed that Apple would be shipping G5 iBooks as well as G5 PowerBooks by end of the 2nd Quarter of 2005.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Eventually it will happen. I am seeing more and more High Definition wide screen PC laptops that support HD video. The screens are very bright and clear. At least if we can't have G5's in a notebook, we can have better displays.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Hmmm... could be nice, but not exactly a quantum-leap for apple... On the other hand I love the iBooks, so I very welcome further development on them.

A

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
I agree that this will eventually happen, especially if this is the year of HDTV and Apple.

But why is this a Page 1 item if Digitimes has been so unreliable in the past? Appleinsider has been more accurate and their last item was put on Page 2.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
wilburpan said:
But why is this a Page 1 item if Digitimes has been so unreliable in the past? Appleinsider has been more accurate and their last item was put on Page 2.
I think arn sometimes puts reports on the front page if there's going to be a high level of interest about it, even if the reports are likely to be wrong.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
slipper said:
this absurd thread makes me want to puke all over myself.
nice .. if you puke on your lap people will think you just bought a dell LOL

also where's mini mod to close the other ibook widescreen thread ?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
wilburpan said:
The last Appleinsider article didn't really offer much details - page 2, not for not being reliable - just for not being very substantial.

Digitimes unfortunately gets reported on by lots of web sites. As a result, people are going to be submitting this news item all day. it made more sense just to post it and say it's not likely to happen.

arn

cal6n

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Macrumors said:
In general, Digitimes' reports have been consistently inaccurate. Last report claimed that Apple would be shipping G5 iBooks as well as G5 PowerBooks by end of the 2nd Quarter of 2005.
There's nearly 3 months till the end of Q2, so how is this unreliable?

slipper said:
this absurd thread makes me want to puke all over myself.
Feel free. Why should we care about your personal hygene?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
MacsRgr8 said:
I'll just be happy if they upped the rez on the 14" model.
Something like 1280 x 960 would be nice.

Apple's display resolution is falling way behind the industry.

My 14" Dell laptop has 13% more pixels than a 17" PowerBook....

- Dell D600 - 1400x1050 - 1.470 MPixels
- PB 17" - 1440x900 - 1.296 MPixels

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
AidenShaw said:
Apple's display resolution is falling way behind the industry.

My 14" Dell laptop has 13% more pixels than a 17" PowerBook....

- Dell D600 - 1400x1050 - 1.470 MPixels
- PB 17" - 1440x900 - 1.296 MPixels
so i take it you get a bigger blue screen of death then ? lol

but you are right if apple wants to take the lead on displays it needs to start uping some of them! HD anyone ?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
If Apple was to provide higher resolution notebook displays, is there an automatic way to size up icons, fonts, etc to make them as large as they currently are with 1024 x 768?

I'm all for more resolution, but I wouldn't want to have to strain my eyes just to read text or click on an icon.

Currently, I know of just one way, and that would be manually adjust every icon and text size. :confused:

alms

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2003
Boston
What makes it wide screen?

If it's still a 14.1 inch iBook, what makes it "wide screen"? (Clearly I'm out of the loop on HD lingo.)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
joshuawaire said:
If Apple was to provide higher resolution notebook displays, is there an automatic way to size up icons, fonts, etc to make them as large as they currently are with 1024 x 768?

I'm all for more resolution, but I wouldn't want to have to strain my eyes just to read text or click on an icon.

Currently, I know of just one way, and that would be manually adjust every icon and text size. :confused:
Finder: View -> Show View Options (cmd-J)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
arn said:
Digitimes unfortunately gets reported on by lots of web sites. As a result, people are going to be submitting this news item all day. it made more sense just to post it and say it's not likely to happen.
Ah, see now that you've said that it makes more sense. Would be nice to get a widescreen mini-book though.

AidenShaw said:
No, a smaller, brighter, more detailed BSOD !! ;)
I do believe that's the funniest thing I've ever heard you say. And I also would like better displays on some of the notebooks. But am I the only one that likes low resolution displays? Bad eyes. The 20" iMac is fine, but the 17" isn't so great, and it's even worse when you try to lower the res (being LCDs and all).

I can't imagine a 12" book at higher than 1024. 14", maybe. But even then I'm squinting. You guys must have pretty good vision, or you sit a lot closer.

ccuilla

Dec 19, 2003
arn said:
Financial Q2 is about to end.
Was the rumor tied to financial or calendar quarters? Whenever I hear something that is non-financial, I generally assume calendar quarters.

That said, yes, they have been wrong before, and it also seems highly unlikely we'll see the G5 in a portable computer very soon. And almost certainly not by June 30th.

jnicolso1

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
Adelaide
ccuilla said:
Was the rumor tied to financial or calendar quarters? Whenever I hear something that is non-financial, I generally assume calendar quarters.

That said, yes, they have been wrong before, and it also seems highly unlikely we'll see the G5 in a portable computer very soon. And almost certainly not by June 30th.
I have given up hope and am going to keep running my machine until they release the next G5 desktop. I will just use my G4 PB to run the G5 using timbuktu when I am away.