Widescreen iBooks?

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
cooknwitha said:
How reliable is Think Secret?
They are pretty much spot on 99% of the time. Sometimes they have issues with the timing of product releases, but if they publish specs, you can bet that they are identical (or really close).

Hickman

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
Apple likes to release products on Tuesday, and at an "even" hour, so we should be seeing them at 11am EST, 1pm, or 3pm. 5pm would be going a little too late, I think.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
iBook 12.1" ship times in the UK store are 7 days which is much longer than usual.

I'd guess we may well be due a new iBook this week. A nice 13.1" widescreen iBook a little smaller than the current 12.1" overall would be very nice. Sony T2 or Fujitsu Lifebook kind of size.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I am too pretty sure thinksecret are correct with there news, we will surely see a new iBook this week or next week at latest.....

ShadOW :)

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Well, I would love to see it if they do. There has been a lack of new Mac developments in the past few months (Intel switch notwithstanding), and the laptop line is in need of updating.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Thinksecret says wide screen, cool. I think they will update very soon for the back to school season. If they do increase the specs along with a new widescreen form, what will happen to the powerbook line?

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
powerbook will not seem so nice with new ibooks

might have widescreen, probably faster processors and what not for the ibooks.

can only hope for dual core g4's or something before intel takes over for the powerbooks

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
i would need an iBook. cheaper would be great. i actually don't care if it has a widescreen or not. as long as they update it next week at the latest.

when does the "buy a mac, get a free iPod" end? would that be an indication?

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
redAPPLE said:
i would need an iBook. cheaper would be great. i actually don't care if it has a widescreen or not. as long as they update it next week at the latest.

Whoa..where is the free iPod promotion. *heads to apple store*

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
anyone think Apple will eventually (perhaps with the intel processors) merge each of its notebook lines?

for instance, Dell sells the Inspiron 6000 with multiple configurations--you can get it with a piece of **** celeron processor or with a 2GHz Centrino...

Anyone think Apple might go all-aluminum at some point, with pretty much the same cases for their notebooks (less ports on the cheaper ones), and offer, say, nine models to choose from (low end 12.1 inch/15/17 inch, middle end 12/15/17, and high end 12/15/17?

sort of how they used to have "fast" "faster" "fastest" and "ultimate" configurations?

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
villanova329 said:
The one thing that I truly wish for is that Apple would pump up the features of the Airport .Express. There is so much potential in that little brick. The one feature I everso pray for is to control appliances plugged into the airport express. Great alternative for those that don't want to invest in a complete automated home system. Imagine when you turn on the music in the living room, the lights dim at the same time.... =)
yes, apple has definately not taken airport express seriously enough. it's unfortunate...it's been out so long i would have hoped to have at least some accessories for it that are made by apple and not Griffin tech or some other company.

but if you're really an audiophile and ambience freak, check out Crestron. you can get wall panels installed that control radio, tv, lighting, mp3s (you can hook it up to a system that is basically a huge hard drive and it rips CDs to it so you can access it through any wall panel). it's damn expensive but also really cool. one step up from Sonos. www.crestron.com

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Airport Express NEEDS a modem jack! I'd love that portability, but 90% of the places I travel don't have broadband. They ALL have phone jacks. For mobility, you can't rely on Ethernet alone.

And Airports with modems NEED V.92 already! Otherwise you miss calls... and so does the person who is loaning you their phone line! Their callers don't even get a busy signal. Not good. Modem-on-hold and call notification is old news. I love it on my PowerBook, and so do the people I visit and check my mail without losing their incoming calls. So bring it to AirPort already.

I'm done :)

As for iBooks... it would be weird to change the case twice in a row, so maybe if there are new iBooks soon, that means the Intel ones next year will use the same basic casing, even though a new CPU chip generally means a new case.

Which isn't all that odd in a way: keeping the shell adds a sense of stability to a transition that makes some buyers nervous.

And the G3 tower case was re-used for the G4 towers, after all, just cosmetically changed.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
SpaceMagic said:
If Apple bring out a 13.1" Widescreen iBook, I'll press One-Click buy within the hour of release.
I wouldn't. Maybe on a 15.4" PowerBook MacTel.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001

Last month's Widescreen iBook rumor has resurfaced in a Think Secret article today saying that sources have confirmed an iBook update "very soon" and possibly today or this week.

The last iBook updates were nine months ago today, making this the longest-ever interval without updates. The article speculates, based on an unconfirmed tip, that the delay is a result of a change in form factor, to widescreen configurations.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
redAPPLE said:
September 24th, hope it's not that long of a wait.

I like the idea of the last ppc and first intel ibooks sharing the same case, downplays the switch.

Mac

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
This will again put the iBooks on the map.

Now, they are REALLY, REALLY old (9 months..pheeew).

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Apple UK store is saying 7 Days shipping, yesterday I'm certain it was Within 24hours. (I realise there was a thread on this last week, saying BTO options were taking 7-10days, but stock iBooks were still Within 24hours).

The US Store is still saying Same Business Day, however.. so could this just be another Red Herring?