Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
In any event one should be able to change the aspect ratio prior to taking the picture. It would be nice to take 16:9 or 16:10 photos and not have to crop afterwards.

The sensor is 4:3 so cropping just removes part of the image. Even if the iPhone had a setting to do wide screen, it would be still just cropping the 4:3 sensor. There are plenty of apps that you can crop as you wish.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So then make it a pain for the user to constantly switch between the two modes?

Most users just want a picture. The iOS camera isn't designed to be for pro photographers.

Plus, like I said, when you need to get those larger shots, you have panorama mode.

The benefits of 16:9 are less than any other. It's not optimal for sharing.
The sensor is 4:3 so cropping just removes part of the image. Even if the iPhone had a setting to do wide screen, it would be still just cropping the 4:3 sensor. There are plenty of apps that you can crop as you wish.

But then again they did add the "square" option.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Easy solution: they can include a setting that automatically sets ratio to 4:3 when in portrait and 16:9 when in landscape. Best of both worlds. They can call it "optimal" or something else catchy. As far as I know, android doesn't even have that.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
What models are they? Most modern digital cameras offer this, except DSLRs.

my nikon has a widescreen mode. i dont see why apple cant at least give us the option, i mean we do have square for all the instagram addicts out there too

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Do the the people that are lobbying for a wide screen aspect ratio setting for the camera actually prefer the camera to make an arbitrary decision on the information to crop from the sensor instead of them making a choice?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do the the people that are lobbying for a wide screen aspect ratio setting for the camera actually prefer the camera to make an arbitrary decision on the information to crop from the sensor instead of them making a choice?
It seems they are saying it would be good if Apple offers that option (in particular when in landscape mode) that the user can choose to select and use, similar to how they offer a "square" option.

EthanLMT

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2015
The ProCam 2 app let's you set aspect ratio before shooting. (of course this just crops the cameras view but it's as close as you are going to get)

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
It seems they are saying it would be good if Apple offers that option (in particular when in landscape mode) that the user can choose to select and use, similar to how they offer a "square" option.

I wouldn't use that at all. I'd prefer to make the decision on chopping off the top or bottom of the picture myself. I can't believe someone would turn that decision over to the camera.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wouldn't use that at all. I'd prefer to make the decision on chopping off the top or bottom of the picture myself. I can't believe someone would turn that decision over to the camera.

Well, again, they did that with the "square" option, so this wouldn't exactly be anything all that new or strange in that sense.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010

It's not turning the decision over to the camera. What you see on screen is exactly what the sensor will record. YOU decide how to frame the picture before it is taken.

----------

The ProCam 2 app let's you set aspect ratio before shooting. (of course this just crops the cameras view but it's as close as you are going to get)

That's true. There are several camera apps that provide much greater flexibility than the standard Apple Camera app. The biggest difference is convenience. The Apple Camera app is quickly accessible from the lock screen and as far as I know, other camera apps aren't. That's not an insurmountable obstacle, but it is a minor deterrent when I want to snap a very quick photo.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
When I saw that Apple added a square option I was really hoping for 16:9, but of course that didn't happen. Everywhere I look at my photos (on the iPhone, on a laptop, on a monitor, on a tv, etc) the screen is 16:9 and I hate having black bars, especially on the sides.

So since the iPhone 5 I've been searching for the perfect app that takes the photo in 16:9 instead of having to change the aspect ratio afterwards. ProCamera is the one I use and I love it (you can also almost take RAW images). I will never go back to the default app again.

And for everyone who is afraid that 16:9 cuts off data of your 4:3 photo: when you use an app with a 16:9 viewfinder you will frame photos differently then you would with a 4:3 viewfinder, so things will not get cut off because you just take a step backwards for instance. Therefore it's a much better option then editing it afterwards.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
No one is saying that 16:9 should be the default for all things photography. Where do you typically look at photos taken on your phone? Chances are you use your phone or computer, both of which are almost always 16:9. This leads to a more pleasant viewing experience as the photo fills the entire display without cropping.

Android phones also have 4:3 sensors, but give you the option to shoot in 16:9 if you desire. I shoot all my photos in 16:9, mainly because most photos taken on my phone are landscape scenes which look better in widescreen anyways.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Pretty much this.

I had to re-read the OP a couple of times to make sure that he was really asking what I think he was asking. Some people think Apple can just ignore physics.

There is a 1:1 option which crops a lot more than a 16:9 would do (and nobody even uses 1:1). OP is asking for a 16:9 option when taking photos instead of 4:3 or 1:1. That's all. Nothing weird about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
There is a 1:1 option which crops a lot more than a 16:9 would do (and nobody even uses 1:1). OP is asking for a 16:9 option when taking photos instead of 4:3 or 1:1. That's all. Nothing weird about that.

There is something weird about wanting a 16:9 sensor when it's not the industry standard. We're talking about photos here, not videos. As stated earlier, OP can crop his photos to 16:9 if he wants, but it's less effective than just simply using Panorama if he wants a wider image. The camera will always crop out part of the image to make it 16:9 since the sensor is not 16:9.

Also why would one want the camera to choose what part of the image to crop out to make it 16:9 when you could crop it yourself and choose what area to crop? I'd rather the latter, than the camera decide for me which part to cut out.

Perhaps you should read through the topic and replies at hand next time before jumping to conclusions.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Earth to McFly! You look at the screen and choose how to frame it before the photo is taken. The phone doesn't just arbitrarily crop for you.

Yes you can manually crop but what a PITA when you want to AiPlay a bunch of photos.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is something weird about wanting a 16:9 sensor when it's not the industry standard. We're talking about photos here, not videos. As stated earlier, OP can crop his photos to 16:9 if he wants, but it's less effective than just simply using Panorama if he wants a wider image. The camera will always crop out part of the image to make it 16:9 since the sensor is not 16:9.

Also why would one want the camera to choose what part of the image to crop out to make it 16:9 when you could crop it yourself and choose what area to crop? I'd rather the latter, than the camera decide for me which part to cut out.

Perhaps you should read through the topic and replies at hand next time before jumping to conclusions
Same can be applied to using the "square" option, and yet it's still there.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
Lol on this thread.

CROP it before the picture taken is what OP wants. Crop it after the picture taken is what iPhone allows now...really what is the difference?

Sorry, but only a novice iphonographer would be asking about this.

How come my SLR/phone will not take widescreen photos? It does, and they both give you some extra content above and below that widescreen aspect ratio.

Hello? Again, CROP THE PHOTO.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Lol on this thread.

CROP it before the picture taken is what OP wants. Crop it after the picture taken is what iPhone allows now...really what is the difference?

How come my SLR/phone will not take widescreen photos? It does, and they both give you some extra content above and below that widescreen aspect ratio.

Same can be done with the square version and yet that option has been added to the camera app. So LOL indeed.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008

Perhaps you should read through the topic and replies at hand next time before jumping to conclusions.
Nobody is asking for a 16:9 sensor. You're making stuff up. He wants to take 16:9 photos.

Again: Apple provides the 1:1 option, but completely ignores 16:9 (which is much more useful). You actively seem to try to avoid this fact, as you're not responding to this.

Also, the camera is not choosing what part of the image to crop, you're doing that yourself when you're taking the photo. It's just easier to take a 16:9 photos than to crop it.

You're reasoning is flawed. You don't seem to be able to understand that not everyone is like you, and some people actually have normal reasoning that makes sense.

----------

Same can be done with the square version and yet that option has been added to the camera app. So LOL indeed.

No one seems to understand this.

Cropping a photo takes a lot more effort than taking a 16:9 photo. If you want to take 16:9 photos only, you'd have to edit +/- 100 photos after a holiday or something. Real fun job yes. :rolleyes:

Also, who cares about "cropping the sensor" - you're framing the image when you're taking the photo right? Really guys, stop being so narrowminded.

Ninjuit

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2014
United Kingdom
Honestly, I don't get why Apple hasn't included it as an option. Even if they included it in the settings app, like adjusting frame rate for videos.

The OP isn't talking about a 16:9 sensor, and you get to see which part of the image is included, so you know what is in the image.

auzzuro

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
how come when i shoot photo using iphone 6 in between there is two black bar where else taking photo with samsung s6 give me a photo with fullscreen ... is there any jailbreak tweak can change that ?

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Lol on this thread.

Again ... what's the difference, you ask?

You go to the renaissance festival with your family. You are looking forward to showing everyone the 67 photos you took on your new HDTV when you get home. It is quicker and easier to:

a. Change a setting before you take the pictures and AirPlay the photos immediately when you get home.

b. Spend 15 or 20 minutes cropping each one individually to an appropriate size before you can show them, realizing along the way that some of your framing is off because you didn't have any kind of 16x9 grid to inform your composition.

I am guessing, of course, but I bet more people would actually want & use 16x9 than 3x2, if given the option. Honestly, this is not some out-in-left-field request. The display is 16x9 for crying out loud! It is logical.

PS - I've never taken a single photo using 'square'. Not one. But it doesn't bother me that it is there. My only gripe would be to switch the order to 'square' and 'pano' so I don't have to scroll past square everytime I want to take a panoramic photo.

Graveth

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
Guys, guys, i just found an acceptable solution.

My last official camera supported 16/9 named as HD.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, again, they did that with the "square" option, so this wouldn't exactly be anything all that new or strange in that sense.

The square option is just cutting some of the sides out (not the same as cropping) and doesn't need to resize it to fix the screen again. (Because the height isn't changed.) If there was a 16:9 crop option it would have to resize the image (basically zoomed in) and would make it not as sharp to fit the screen. Any kind of cropping on a 8mp image degrades the quality by a lot.

The newer 12mp sensor on the 6s will help and could maybe be implemented then. Megapixels is the biggest factor to cropping power. (Higher the mp the better the image can stay sharp as you crop in.) Apple probably doesn't want their images to get cropped and have a drop in image quality from their "own" option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.