Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
With all the complaining about AT&T's lack of 3G coverage, I thought it was worth sharing my positive experience with AT&T 3G =)

I spent this past weekend up in Vero Beach, and as is true in most large states, Florida has it's big cities, but lots of open space of absolutely nothing in between. I checked my phone periodically throughout the drive up, and to my surprise I had 3G the entire way. (Unfortunately, I was driving, so I couldn't take advantage of it... but still :p )

Seriously though, would you expect to get 3G coverage in a place like this:
3ginthemiddleofnowhere.jpg

PS. Don't take pictures while driving... it's very dangerous ;)

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
I live in Kissimmee and I've also found that the 3g is pretty good near major highways over a good portion of the state. I hand over the Tilt to the kids while we're rolling along and they use the mobile video. I have also used it to watch pre-launch coverage directly from Nasa TV's website while driving over to watch a launch.

From what I've read here, we should count ourselves pretty lucky to live in an area with such good coverage.

BTW: I'm in Montana (visiting Yellowstone) right now and using old style roaming. I have the data turned off to save charges and I'm realizing how much I miss it. There are areas out here that don't even have signal :eek:.

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
yea, if you're living in the middle of fkin nowhere, I bet you can get great 3G signal....

but for people (like me) who live in near big cities and buildings etc, it's terrible. Let me spell it for ya, T E R R I B L E....

I am so tired of bouncing between 3G and Edge, it's not even funny.
I get full 5 bars 3G one second, and back down to "E" the next.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Deannn,

What area of Florida do you permanently reside in and how is the service there?

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I live in Fort Lauderdale (Cooper City to be exact) and service is great! I don't have any complaints. I think all 4 major carriers work pretty well around here.

I used to live in Boca before returning up north but I might be making a Florida comeback and service in Chicago hasn't exactly been what one might consider for a market of this size and caliber. Wondering if Florida is fairing any better?

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I used to live in Boca before returning up north but I might be making a Florida comeback and service in Chicago hasn't exactly been what one might consider for a market of this size and caliber. Wondering if Florida is fairing any better?

Yeah I've definitely been happy with AT&T's coverage (I switched from Sprint)... and Boca is not far from here at all. I won't be here for too much longer though... I'm moving up to New York City for college next month =) I think I can trust that service will be decent there? lol... unless all those buildings screw it up.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Yeah I've definitely been happy with AT&T's coverage (I switched from Sprint)... and Boca is not far from here at all. I won't be here for too much longer though... I'm moving up to New York City for college next month =) I think I can trust that service will be decent there? lol... unless all those buildings screw it up.

Well considering Chicago is as urban as New York is I can imagine that the 3G service in theory is ever present and superb. Thats in theory though.

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I was just in Florida this past week.

I Spent time in Orlando and Gainsville.

I found the 3G coverage good in Orlando with decent speeds in the 700-900 range. I checked the coverage in various places in Orlando and found the speeds pretty consistant. Even when I only had 1-2 bars, I still found I had pretty good speeds.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
For the most part 3G coverage is along the east coast in Florida, I recently took a trip to Tampa and driving down Alligator Ally 3G was pretty much non-existent.. if you're driving up and down I-95 or the Turnpike 90% of the time you'll be in 3G

Out on the west coast and in parts of Central Fla, 3G coverage is very spotty..

Attachments

• CaminoScreenSnapz001.jpg
    CaminoScreenSnapz001.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,277

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
For the most part 3G coverage is along the east coast in Florida, I recently took a trip to Tampa and driving down Alligator Ally 3G was pretty much non-existent.. if you're driving up and down I-95 or the Turnpike 90% of the time you'll be in 3G

Out on the west coast and in parts of Central Fla, 3G coverage is very spotty..

I will have to agree with 3g coverage can be spotty in Central Florida. I have been in Lake Mary, Florida (about 15 miles north of Orlando) for the past 2 months. While 3G coverage is out here, there are spots where my 3g phones will switch to EDGE randomly. I got so spoiled living in the Washington DC area where 3G coverage was really good. I'm not sure when 3g coverage started in the Orlando area but it seems about 2 years behind the Washington DC market. I think I started getting 3G coverage in the DC area near the end of 2005.

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I will have to agree with 3g coverage can be spotty in Central Florida. I have been in Lake Mary, Florida (about 15 miles north of Orlando) for the past 2 months. While 3G coverage is out here, there are spots where my 3g phones will switch to EDGE randomly. I got so spoiled living in the Washington DC area where 3G coverage was really good. I'm not sure when 3g coverage started in the Orlando area but it seems about 2 years behind the Washington DC market. I think I started getting 3G coverage in the DC area near the end of 2005.

I too live in orlando and so far 3g seems pretty solid. I have seen a lot of jumping though... 5 bars one second and then down to 2 bars the next second... but so far I've never dropped a call.

KDuniverse

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Here in SW FL, we got it the Wed before the iphone came out. It's been kind of crappy but I hope it's because it's just starting. Service drops calls a lot now, and that never used to happen.

Hardcoredan52

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I'm about 20 mins from Tampa, Fl in a little town called Plant City. And I get 3G everywhere... its nice. I haven't had a drop call or static yet either 3G or edge.

lermal

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
Florida
I was just in Boca Raton and South Beach this past week, and coverage was excellent. Had 5 bars (3G) pretty much wherever I was from South Beach to Boca.

TonyMil

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
In Pensacola (NW Fl in the panhandle) with no 3G yet. We keep hearing "It's coming!" and we're still waiting. One day we'll get it.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
No 3G here in Bradenton. Ive seen reports of thee being pretty good coverage in Sarasota and Lakewood Ranch, though. Still not enough to justify the upgrade to me, though.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
I live in Kissimmee and I've also found that the 3g is pretty good near major highways over a good portion of the state. I hand over the Tilt to the kids while we're rolling along and they use the mobile video. I have also used it to watch pre-launch coverage directly from Nasa TV's website while driving over to watch a launch.

From what I've read here, we should count ourselves pretty lucky to live in an area with such good coverage.

BTW: I'm in Montana (visiting Yellowstone) right now and using old style roaming. I have the data turned off to save charges and I'm realizing how much I miss it. There are areas out here that don't even have signal :eek:.

You shouldn't get charged for data roaming in the US, as far as I know. You won't get charged for roaming calls. Unless you're talking about not being on an unlimited data plan.

I live in Tampa, and there's 3G about 20-40 miles in almost any direction.

Well considering Chicago is as urban as New York is I can imagine that the 3G service in theory is ever present and superb. Thats in theory though.

When I was in NY, I'm pretty sure I had 3G most of the time. Although I didn't check my phone every few seconds :)

ibistony

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
Lady Lake Area

We just got a tower installed this month in the Lady Lake area of Central Florida. This is an area called The Villages, FL, The 3G signal is working great. I have Wifi in my house and when I drive away the Iphone switches to 3G. Still running very fast.

sjslamg

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2008
CA
I get fast-as-hell full-bars 3G in Tampa. Pretty much throughout the entire city and its vicinities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.