Wife is returning her BB Torch for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eye.surgeon, Aug 16, 2010.

1. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

My wife is a BB fan, and last week got the new Torch to replace her Bold, which has been a solid phone. Bottom line is the Torch sucks. The new software is buggy, and the touch screen is horrible. The touch is at times insensitive and at other times hypersensitive. It's light years behind the touch screen of the iphone. It is a solidly built, attractive phone and the keyboard is of course great. After 3 days she is fed up and is returning it and getting an iphone 4. She was hoping the Torch would bring BB up to iphone levels of user interface but not even close.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

she had unrealistic expectations then. The Torch isn't an iPhone nor is it meant to be. And it's hardly surprising that the new OS is buggy. Heck - OS 4.0 is buggy.

But good that she's going to get a phone she prefers vs sticking it out with one she is unhappy with. Ultimately - that's all that matters

3. iPadztr macrumors 6502

Not till they do an overhaul of their OS. Have almost the same situation, but my wife skipped the torch and heading to captivate. Which also shares a few quirks here and there.

4. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

President of the company I work for got a Torch yesterday. I was playing around with it this morning and while it is definitely the nicest BB on the market right now, it really just feels inadequate compared to my iPhone (and this is coming from someone who has been an avid BB user until about 6 months ago). Its like you said.....the touch screen on the Torch is so inconsistent that it really just takes away from the user experience. I also have no idea why they are still using a sub-1GHz chip to drive the boat on their flagship device.

6. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

My wife and two sons moved from VZ on Moto Droid and HTC Droid Eris because the new OS is very buggy and eating up the battery. I knew the kids wanted iPhones and to move over to AT&T but since my wife got her new iPhone 4 16GB two weeks ago, she has not put the thing down, she uses it more then her iPad at home.

I am not a big fan of Android OS, however if I had to choose one, I would go with the HTC Incredible, seems as close to the ip4 as anything gets.

7. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Imo, the torch is horrendous looking. iPhone4 and torch are on a table next to each other. I'd be willing to bet on looks alone 9/10 people would go for the ip4. It's truely is a beautifully designed phone compared to anything on the market now hands down.

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Those of us that are rational Mac users and live outside of "Apples walled garden of control" are not surprised. Had just a little research been done it's likely the Torch would not have been purchased in the first place. After all at the end of the day, unless one handles huge volumes of email, and is fully committed to a conventional keyboard, RIM has nothing to offer. It's been that way for more than two years now.

9. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

The Torch to me is a hideous phone, even though I own a Curve.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The OS is immature so you have to expect some bugs but with that said, I think RIM whiffed on this one. Small screen, low resolution, low pixel depth. Slow processor. Many reviewers complained at the pokey pace the phone operates on. I'm unimpressed with the UI as well. those stick figure icons don't do much for me.

I don't see RIM re-capturing the momentum with this phone or the OS.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is a great analysis and I agree completely.

12. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Doesn't the Torch cost $199 with a mail in rebate? Anyway, I think it was a super smart move to return the BB Torch and get an iPhone 4. First of all the torch uses a 624MHz processor which doesnt even compare to a 1GHz Apple A4 chip used in the iPhone 4. The screen is also low res, and smaller than the iPhone 4. Even if the Torch looks pretty nice, the iPhone 4 is just way better performance wise and design wise in my eyes. My 2 cents.

13. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

MY first and only experience with blackberry was the Storm.

I lived, breathed, and bled crackberry.com for 9 months. Just waiting for that next OS to be leaked every fews weeks. Hoping, and praying that this would be the OS that would validate my faith in blackberry, and fill that void for a phone that was enjoyable to use, that I didn't have to spend every friday/sat night trying to tweak to make it just right, but never getting there.

**** that ****. I got the 3G S the day it came out, and have never looked back. I kick myself everyday for not switching over sooner.

You think apple has fan boys? Try bashing RIM over on crackberry and see what happens to ya

14. Smtevo macrumors 6502

I asked some guys over there why they think iPhone 4's camera "isnt as good" as the Torch's as they all were saying, and I got several ridiculous responses that included even my BB 9700 camera blows the iPhone 4's away. I cant help to get a laugh over there sometimes.

15. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I'm sure that you could find someone who holds that their 8320 is far superior to the iPhone 4 over there. Poor deluded schmucks.

16. italeki macrumors regular

17. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Using 3G data on the BB Torch was so slow at the AT&T store, that it was like using EDGE on my iP4. So glad that I moved on to the iPhone now. :)

18. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Gizmodo is reporting that the Torch is now being sold at half price after one week of bad sales.

19. timerollson macrumors 65816

Never considered the Torch. It's a slider. Eww.

I would like to see what they plan to do with the Storm 3 though but I have a feeling it'll just be OS 6 slapped on the Torch without the keypad. :(

20. tkao2025 macrumors regular

I generally like BB's and have owned several......I played with the Torch at the AT&T store and actually liked it, but did not leave with it because I know I'll miss certain Apps on my Iphone....namely Skype which for some reason is not offered on BB's...

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Actually iPhone 4's are readily available. There are four Apple stores in my area with phones in stock. Just walk in and buy one. My brother went to the store closest to us yesterday and was out with his new iPhone in just twenty five minutes.

22. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

This is no surprise. RIM has been out of touch for some time now.

23. SPX macrumors member

No problem; As a matter of fact, I walked out of the Apple store last week with two!

24. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I'm not fond of sliders, however the Torch is the exception. I tried it and found it's extremely smooth, solid & well designed. Conversely the problems created from using the slow processor and buggy OS, cancel out the great hardware. I doubt the Torch will survive.

25. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Does anyone else share my opinion that in the near future (within 3-4 years) WebOS will be referred to in the business world as the new Blackberry? HP is in a great position here if they play their cards right. MS is trying too hard to be everything with WM7, it seems.