Wife wants my 15" SR MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gman901, Apr 4, 2008.

  1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #1
    So, if I give her my 2.4 Ghz MBP she would let me get the latest one (2.5 Ghz with 512 VRAM). I am just thinking should I wait to July and is the latest revision really that much better than my current version, especially for gaming, i.e. Crysis, COD4, Bioshock, etc. Would just upgrading my Ram to 4gb get me better performance with my 256 VRAM? Thanks!
     
  2. bestthereis27 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #2
    Why does she want your used one when she can get a brand new one for herself?
     
  3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
  4. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

    teerexx52

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    Location:
    Florida West Coast
    #4
    My wife got my 2.2 MacBook Pro and I got a 2.4 Penryn. She's a good wife:)
     
  5. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #5
    :D We've been talking about converting her from Windows over to Apple for a while now, and I told her instead of getting a new Macbook or Air, I would just give her mine since it's better than both of those.
     
  6. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Location:
    Connecticut
    #6
    I'd wait. If you need it, get it, otherwise, put the money in a savings account and let it grow interest until you need a new laptop.
     
  7. a4abt macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2008
    Location:
    Miami
    #7
    I wouldn't wait. The MBP you're looking at is a great computer and I'm sure it would suit your needs! There will always be updates, you just have to see if the current model fits what you need and enjoy it if it does.
     
  8. Csmitte macrumors 6502

    Csmitte

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    #8
    Buy if you need? that is not the American way? seriously you have a good wife.
     
  9. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #9
    Get the current updates before your wife reads this on MR and asks for a new computer.
     
  10. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

    DaveTheGrey

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2003
    #10
    IMHO you should wait. The Penryn update isn't that much improving (except for SS4) and the switch to the nehalem architecture which will come by the next update could bring a case redesign...
     
  11. drpellypo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Northumberland, UK
    #11
    Funny you should say that cos I've just experienced the same thing, kinda. I had a macbook SR and the wife kept looking at it with envy when she was on her Dell laptop. We happened to notice the MBP had upgraded (albeit slightly) so she said 'why don't you buy that and I'll have your macbook' Needless to say, I am writing this on a macbook pro! I'm not sure how she managed to con me out of the money mind you because she has kept the money she made from selling the Dell!
     
  12. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #12
    Do you find that the latest MBP is faster and has noticeable better graphics with 512 vs the 256 card? I don't care about the benchmarks, I just want to get real user opinions if it's worth the upgrade? My wife read the post already and she doesn't care as long as it's my last one for a few years. I am also thinking if I wait, they may make the new case thinner, but I am wondering what they will sacrifice for thinness...thanks for all your previous replies!
     
  13. MoeOz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    #13
    juz get it now please .. :)

    well the new redesign , thinner , faster , nelham , etc .. u could just wait for that like a year or so and u mite loose it after all , nothin is certin what u see is what u get for now , go ahead mate enjoy it u will have the whole full package , os software's , great v.card , screen , rams , cooler machine , Led , even some fun with multitouch .. dont u think its better than wait for somethin you really dont know ? and trust me that would get soo long and u will hate it , even if it will be like the best update ever the new design will start a punch of probelms till it get patched later on and so on .. MBP nowdays are just wonderful in every single way ;)

    yeah .. juz ma lil 2 cents .
     
  14. steve31 macrumors 6502a

    steve31

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2007
    Location:
    Edmonton Canada
    #14
    I had a 2.4 and gave it to my wife and bought a 2.5 also.:D The things that I noticed the most were that my 2.5 runs a lot cooler, multi touch, and slightly better battery life. The only game that I have played on it so far has been Call of Duty4 and it runs it great. I dont game enough to be able to say how much better the 2.5 is.
     
  15. kwfl macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2007
    #15
    my advice. if you want a MBP, buy the day you want it.

    the nehlam thing will be good, but it will mean you wont be able to use a machine for 6-12 months. it is worth it?

    if i were you, i would buy this and then when you want to upgrade, buy the one that comes after nehlam, maybe after 3 years.
     
  16. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #16
    :apple:Cool! I'll buy today, plus I get a $200 corporate rate discount at the store. Now I have to figure out how to get my old one cleaned up. I have XP home on the current model... wondering if I should get an OEM of Vista Pro for my new one just for gaming purposes or get another XP OEM.
     
  17. tMac85 macrumors 65816

    tMac85

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    Location:
    in a great place
    #17
    all good things come to those who wait.

    thats not a common motto for nothing!

    i dont understand why half the people on this forum are impulse byers.
     
  18. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #18
    I am not an impulse buyer. I really wanted to get the MBP with 512 VRAM in the first place for future proofing upcoming games and video editing abilities. I think this about does it for me for the next several years. If my wife did not want to have a Mac, I wouldn't even consider upgrading for a while anyway.
     
  19. tMac85 macrumors 65816

    tMac85

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    Location:
    in a great place
    #19

    i wasnt referring to you. just the many that seem to talk people into buying their computer with the " if you want it now, then buy now" comment.

    no offense towards you my friend. you seem to have made a great decision and either way you are getting a mac!:D
     
  20. iFizz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    Third planet from the star called "Sun"
    #20
    Errr....did anyone else get the wrong idea from the title of this thread?
    :D
    No offense. It was like one of those Jay Leno skits where he makes fun of news headlines that sound "funny" when you take them in a different context.

    Seriously though, in my experience, whatever it takes to keep the significant other reasonably happy will benefit you in the long run.
     
  21. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #21
    Hey, no offense taken! :) I agree that I hear that a lot... "just go and buy it now", but the timing for me seems pretty good. My wfe actually thought I was going to want to get the Air, but I told her that there are too many compromises in going with it just for a sleek machine.

    I also realized later that the title of my thread seems funny (if I left off the SR MBP), but I really wasn't intending it that way! :D
     
  22. thechidz macrumors 68000

    thechidz

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Location:
    New York City
    #22
    LOLZ... most people on here own apple stock so this is like walking into a room and asking people if you should give them money..

    of course they are going to say yes:p

    the penryn update will not give you real world differences in performance, unless you are in love with multitouch trackpad...
     
  23. Live in 3D macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2008
    #23
    In my personal experience with my Penryn 2.6 17" hi-res with 4 gigs Ram and 512 MB VRAM and my brothers Santa Rosa 2.4 15" with 256 MB VRAM, I would say there is honestly not a very big jump in performance gaming wise between the two. It has been discussed here before but apparently the video cards in these computers are decidedly mid level and cannot really take advantage of the entire 512 MB anyway. That being said, there are some improvements in other areas that are very noticeable. Battery life is definitely much better on the Penryn, and while gaming you could probably fry an egg on his while i play with mine in my lap without incident. Also, I have really become attached to the multi-touch features. My two cents: If the gaming performance is really important to you then you might want to wait (although my Macbook Pro is no slouch, it certainly isn't going to be running Crysis maxed out anytime soon), otherwise now is a great time to buy. I know that it will be years before my computer is hopelessly outdated. Just don't expect a big leap in performance from your SR Macbook Pro though.
     
  24. ert3 macrumors 6502a

    ert3

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2007
    #24
    I concure with the above.

    Gaming wise your just getting more ram which for a bit in the gamming industry won't really matter.

    If you do then just get one with 512mb of Vram and chill as the next update will probubly be an insubstantial jump in processing power. (2.6 maybe 3.0 at a stretch).

    If you really want to wait then put it off to 2010 when we should be seeing quad core mobile processors.
     
  25. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #25
    Nehalem's laptop chips aren't coming until early 2009 so it would be a long wait. Montevina is coming sooner (early June), but I would be surprised if Apple updates to Montevina straight away for the MBP.
     

Share This Page