Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
Got a 5th gen iPad Pro and my understanding is that it supports 802.11ax (WiFi 6). Just got a WiFi 6 router (a Spectrum one that has virtually no controls). Is there any way (software) to tell I am getting WiFi 6 on my iPad?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
You should have controls if you login to the router but you can always do a speedtest to see what speeds you're getting. Depending on the type of internet, congestion, location, connection and configuration it might be different. Example; I have 1GB Verizon and get about 700-800MB down over WiFI as long as I'm under 25ft but I did a good amount of configuring to get that.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
If you have at least gigabit internet at home wifi 6 will give you 100-300MB more (wifi 5 is around 500-550MB, wifi 6 is around 650-800)

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have WiFi 6 (802.11ax) and have looked at network characteristics with a number of utilities on my 2021 12.9 and haven't seen anything that indicates the connection type. My Internet speeds indirectly indicate it.

Reactions: paulcons

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I have WiFi 6 (802.11ax) and have looked at network characteristics with a number of utilities on my 2021 12.9 and haven't seen anything that indicates the connection type. My Internet speeds indirectly indicate it.
Option-click on the WiFi menu and you should see all of the configuration info for the access point. One of the items is PHY Mode. I'm at work so I don't have access to my home WiFi 6 network but it currently says 802.11ac which implies that if you are on WiFi 6 it should be 802.11ax.

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed you are talking about using an iPad. I gave the instructions on a Mac.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Option-click on the WiFi menu and you should see all of the configuration info for the access point. One of the items is PHY Mode. I'm at work so I don't have access to my home WiFi 6 network but it currently says 802.11ac which implies that if you are on WiFi 6 it should be 802.11ax.

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed you are talking about using an iPad. I gave the instructions on a Mac.

Yeah - checked mine on a PC.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Got a 5th gen iPad Pro and my understanding is that it supports 802.11ax (WiFi 6). Just got a WiFi 6 router (a Spectrum one that has virtually no controls). Is there any way (software) to tell I am getting WiFi 6 on my iPad?
Speed test, assuming your internet connection exceeds Wi-Fi 6's capacity.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
There are applications which will give you this information, such as WiFi Explorer:

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 1.13.06 AM.png

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City

Speed is no indication of WiFi 6 as my connection runs 230mbs... so WiFi 5 and 6 report the exact same speed. I'm just trying to double check what the cable company gave me (my IPP is the only WiFi 6 device) for a WiFi 6 Router.

Tried to log into the router, no such luck, it points to the cable co. website, they want any "configuration" done from there and that means network name and password only! Oh, it seems to have some control over port forwarding, but I have no need to go there.

<rant>Seriously, nobody has made such a utility? <expletive deleted> iOS... figures</rant>

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Speed is no indication of WiFi 6 as my connection runs 230mbs... so WiFi 5 and 6 report the exact same speed. I'm just trying to double check what the cable company gave me (my IPP is the only WiFi 6 device) for a WiFi 6 Router.

Tried to log into the router, no such luck, it points to the cable co. website, they want any "configuration" done from there and that means network name and password only! Oh, it seems to have some control over port forwarding, but I have no need to go there.

<rant>Seriously, nobody has made such a utility? <expletive deleted> iOS... figures</rant>

My guess is that iPadOS/iOS does not expose that particular data so it's unavailable to apps; otherwise, I would have expected that one of the network info utilities already out there would display it.

paulcons

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
I feel/hear ya... hence my rant. There is an inevitable slide to it being just a toaster. At least I spent a bunch of time ResEditing back in the day... Macs were fun and useful in those days. The days of Hertzfeld & Atikinson et al are gone, gone, gone.

d.o.p.

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015

It is a speedtest app for iphone but its also works fine on ipad. You can use it to measure your wireless network speed…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.