Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustCrusin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Loving my new M1 MacBook Pro, ...but I'm losing internet signal. I have a rock solid signal on my other devices sitting in the same spot at the same time so I'm doubtful it's my internet.

Issues range from slow speeds to disconnection and off and on getting "you are not connected to the internet" messages.

Anything to try before calling apple?

Thanks.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Are you running IPv4 or IPv6?
If v4, try turning off v6, and see what happens...

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Too think I thought they fixed it in the new M1. My 16" 2019 MacBook pro does the same thing. It can go hours without disconnecting but then I usually have to turn off Wifi and back on again. I wonder if the new M1 Air suffers the same fate.

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
Got my M1 Air yesterday and finished setting it up earlier today. I'm getting occasional " You are not Connected to the Internet" messages, and the WiFi icon in the Menu Bar shows that it is looking for WiFi.
Signal is solid on my Wife's i5 2020 Air sitting at the other end of the table.

JustCrusin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Got my M1 Air yesterday and finished setting it up earlier today. I'm getting occasional " You are not Connected to the Internet" messages, and the WiFi icon in the Menu Bar shows that it is looking for WiFi.
Signal is solid on my Wife's i5 2020 Air sitting at the other end of the table.
I have an Orbi and have isolated my issue to my MacBook connecting to 2.4ghz when it has the issue, but I would think it could seamlessly switch between the two.

ap0

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2015
I'm having a similar problem. It seems to only happen when downloading large files. The WiFi shows as connected, but it doesn't seem to send any traffic over the network. I can't ping the router -- it just times out. The Tx Rate in the wifi menu fluctuates a little bit, which makes me think it's sort of connected, but no traffic goes through. Turning wifi off and on again fixes it immediately. No other devices I have have ever had a similar issue. I'm hoping it's just a driver bug and not a hardware problem.

intrivil

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
I'm having a similar problem. It seems to only happen when downloading large files. The WiFi shows as connected, but it doesn't seem to send any traffic over the network. I can't ping the router -- it just times out. The Tx Rate in the wifi menu fluctuates a little bit, which makes me think it's sort of connected, but no traffic goes through. Turning wifi off and on again fixes it immediately. No other devices I have have ever had a similar issue. I'm hoping it's just a driver bug and not a hardware problem.
Are you using a Wifi 6 router? I discovered that my macbook pro m1 does the same thing as yours when connected to a wifi 6 router (ASUS TUF AX3000). When connecting to other 5GHz routers, it's fine. What's your router model?
By the way if the macbook pro is connected to the 2.4Ghz network, it is also working fine without issue. I also really hope it's just a driver issue.

Reactions: zidaneism

ap0

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2015
Are you using a Wifi 6 router? I discovered that my macbook pro m1 does the same thing as yours when connected to a wifi 6 router (ASUS TUF AX3000). When connecting to other 5GHz routers, it's fine. What's your router model?
By the way if the macbook pro is connected to the 2.4Ghz network, it is also working fine without issue. I also really hope it's just a driver issue.
I'm using an ASUS RT-AC86U which isn't WiFi 6. Maybe it's just an ASUS thing?

intrivil

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
I've had a few issues with Zoom calls, too on my new M1.
Can you try to download a 10gb files to see if you get any disconnection? Search google for hetzner test files and download the 10gb file to see if you get disconnected. Thanks

intrivil

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
Same here. They told me to go somewhere and try it.
I just want to know if this is a hardware or a software issue. This is frustrating. I've just test, 2.4Ghz wifi is also affected by this issue. This is either a hardware issue or just a big sur issue I think.
Consider how many people are using these devices, why only us are affected :(.

ap0

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2015
I ran Wireshark and was able to reproduce the disconnection issue by installing Xcode from the App Store. Downloads for awhile and then stops. It's weird, though -- traffic still seems to come in on the interface. Mostly mDNS broadcast requests from other devices on the network. I can see my outgoing ping requests to my router but they don't get a response. I also see a fair number of TCP retransmissions from the MBA to destination. Seems more like a driver bug than anything.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 10.55.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 10.55.49 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 757
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 10.59.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 10.59.25 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 623

intrivil

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
I ran Wireshark and was able to reproduce the disconnection issue by installing Xcode from the App Store. Downloads for awhile and then stops. It's weird, though -- traffic still seems to come in on the interface. Mostly mDNS broadcast requests from other devices on the network. I can see my outgoing ping requests to my router but they don't get a response. I also see a fair number of TCP retransmissions from the MBA to destination. Seems more like a driver bug than anything.
The problem is how to get Apple to fix this ? I even offer the network diagnostic report to them but they don't even want it. It's not a "known" problem to them. And I still don't know why there are many people out there having the mac M1 without any issue. This make me want to return this Macbook pro

intrivil

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
Have you by any chance reinstalled macOS ?

ap0

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2015
Have you by any chance reinstalled macOS ?
I actually did a clean install yesterday because of another bug with Find My where it wouldn't show up after logging out and back in from my iCloud account. I was experiencing this bug prior to reinstalling it though.

intrivil

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
I have install Big Sur 11.1 Beta 2 and the problem is still there. I'm second away from selling this "Macbook Pro M1" that can't even having a stable internet connection, while every other devices do.

Reactions: stevenaaus

Bmolad

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2020
Same thing happening to me. I got it yesterday and randomly I get dropouts and the connection goes to like 0.1 mbs. Do you reckon it’s a software or hardware problem?

gintonyx

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2020
I have been using my new M1 for three days now and it does have this issue. All other Apple products (and we have a few) don't show this problem.

It's so bad that Time Machine Backup won't complete because the connection is lost before it can finish. Boy that sucks.

JustCrusin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
In sorry that everyone is having the issue but glad it isn’t just me. Hopefully a software issue. If anyone talks to support with a different solution please update. They told me to try the computer on another router.

intrivil

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
What s****d suggestion. My AirPort has been working for 10 years and it's still working with all my other Macs, iPads and iPhones. I just bought a new laptop, I'm not buying a new router.
Yeah but ... today I bought another wifi 6 router and guess what, the problem is gone !!! I switched from the Asus TUF AX3000 to the Asus RT-AX56U and there is no problem when I downloading large files, no disconnecting issue anymore.
However, it is a downgrade from Ax3000 to Ax1800 so I still hope somehow this issue got fixed. I don't know if it's a issue of Asus router or Macbook M1.
If anyone has the same problem, please specify your router model so hopefully we can have a better insight at this sh#t.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.