Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grire974

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2020
Software definitely has a part to play. Can barely get my m1 MBA to hold a wifi connection, drops every 10 seconds or so. Didn't notice the problem until after I restored my new MBA from a time machine backup of my Mac Pro tower (2013); then after that the connection started dropping. Booted into 'options' by holding power button (e.g. the equivalent of command+r on a m1 mac); and ran safari from there & wifi is fine.. 530 Mbps. Will probably erase & re-install and manually re-install all of my apps. Caution though, you need internet to do this on a m1 mac. Will post an update; but exactly the same hardware works fine in recovery mode; terribly after restoring from time machine.

Prorege1

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2020
Did you try running first aid using the disk utility? You may imported some odd settings to the new M1.

doktorkay

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
These days the situation seems to have stabilized enough for me, except when I tried to download Fortnite with the Epic Games installer. Download speeds up to 50Mb/s, but at 22% the connection dropped.
The diagnostic system has identified a connection error and generated the diagnosis file, now I try to share it with Apple to see if they can do something about it.

grire974

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2020
couple of updates here.
1) Did a clean re-install of osx including deleting Macintosh HD as described here https://support.apple.com/en-au/gui...y app window,Reinstall macOS on your computer.

Note; I think you can brick your device doing this; as to 'reactivate' e.g. re-install os x you have to enter the apple ID login creds previously associated with the computer; if there was a glitch here, you wouldn't be able to install os x.

2) Am now officially stuck creating my account; can't get past the screen where I enter my new password to create my new login account (e.g. after the install is completed).. has gone from bad to worse. this machine is terrifying

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
couple of updates here.
1) Did a clean re-install of osx including deleting Macintosh HD as described here https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchl82829c17/mac#:~:text=In the Recovery app window,Reinstall macOS on your computer.

Note; I think you can brick your device doing this; as to 'reactivate' e.g. re-install os x you have to enter the apple ID login creds previously associated with the computer; if there was a glitch here, you wouldn't be able to install os x.

2) Am now officially stuck creating my account; can't get past the screen where I enter my new password to create my new login account (e.g. after the install is completed).. has gone from bad to worse. this machine is terrifying
Does it just freeze? How long did you leave it?
Others have had problems at a similar stage sometimes ending with unable to personalize account but there have been other errors too.
Some people have had success after removing the M1 from iCloud and (iirc) Find my mac, then re-trying the installation again.
there are also other instructions from Apple about resetting the password in the terminal.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211983

Last edited:

cobracnvt

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2017
TLDR; make sure your network's wifi channels are not competing with anything.

I have a Macbook Pro 16 and use a Ubiquiti Unifi network environment with two Ubiquiti nano access points, which provide 802.11ac 5Ghz and a 2.4Ghz network. My MBP 16 disconnected randomly, whether I connected to 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz.

I wasn't noticing the disconnects with other "older" devices on the network including various iPhones, iPads, 2016 and 2012 MacBook Pros and Windows laptops. Everyone I asked here, thought the network connection was great and they didn't have issues, so I thought the issue was with the MBP 16.

With myMacBook Pro 16 being a new device, I was hoping the Catalina upgrades over the summer or the upgrade to Big Sur would fix the disconnect problems with the MBP 16, but it didn't.

It was getting to the point that I was turning the Macbook Pro's wifi off and on, out of habit, to fix my network connection. This would fix the issue for random periods of time, 10 mins up to hours without a disconnect. It seemed to be especially bad when I initially woke up the laptop.

Here are some more details about my network environment. I have 2 Ubiquiti Nano wifi access points, that are about 50 feet from each other on different on different floors. The access points are each connected back to the network using an ethernet cable, so there is no meshing or wifi backhaul connections in use. The access points both broadcast out the same SSIDs, and my end user devices are supposed to roam to the access point with the best signal.

After digging into the problem and environment for a few days, I found a setting within the Ubiquiti Unifi management software that has resolved the issue for me. I had the access points set to "automatically" select their wifi channels.

Since the entire network is managed through a single Ubiquiti administration program, I assumed that the two managed access points would work correctly with "automatic" wifi channel selection.

It turns out the two access points were both "automatically" being set to the exact same wifi channels and the access points were apparently competing with each other.

Once I "manually" set each access point to use unique, non-overlapping wifi channels, with the same SSID, my connectivity issues went away. It's been over a week now without a single drop!

My devices are now roaming correctly from one access point to the other, and no more network disconnects. I've had a ping going for days between the MBP 16 and my firewall, and there hasn't been a single failed ping.

I hope this helps someone.

grire974

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2020
OK managed to fix my issue.. it was a bit of a roller coaster; but got some good help from apple support - here's what happened

1) After trying to migrate a recent time machine backup from my mac pro tower to my new MBA, my MBA started dropping wifi (about every 10 seconds).
2) I suspected this was due to the time machine migration, as I didn't notice any problems when I first un-boxed the MBA. Checked all obvious network settings, nothing obvious.
3) To confirm this was a software / config problem (from time machine migration) I rebooted into recover mode (long hold power button when booting up; then choose 'options').
4) From here you can run safari from within recovery mode, and try tools like fast.com or whatever your favourite network speed testing website is.. Internet was working well, 550 Mbps from recovery mode; could barely connect to a website from within OS X. This proved in my situation that it was a software problem, not a hardware problem; hence the following steps.
5) I choose to 're-install mac os' following apple silicon specific instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/mchl82829c17/mac#:~:text=In the Recovery app window,Reinstall macOS on your computer.
6) This didn't fix my wifi problem so I kicked it up a notch and performed 'erase and re-install mac os' from the same guide from step 5
7) This created another problem, now I couldn't get past the 'create account screen' e.g. when you've finished installing, and are setting up your account for the first time; It wouldn't let me create an account on my computer no matter what; no matter whether I skipped iCloud, nor whether I created a 'test account' using a completely different name.. Nada; couldn't get into OS X
8) Repeated step 6 again; but noticed in Disk utility that a separate 'data' partition had been created; e.g. now there was two when originally there was only 1. So I deleted both of these (deleted not erased) and then erased Macintosh HD again & repeated step 6
9) Still no dice. Got online with apple support. Ultimately it seems like some sort of security bug (feature?) that makes it really hard to do a real clean re-install of OS X. You'll notice during step 6 that you can't erase & re-install unless you sign into recovery activation with your iCloud id again (e.g. to discourage people from stealing these computers).. So really it's not a clean recovery at all because your account details are still in there somewhere (e.g. maybe the t2 chip).
10) Next, boot into recovery again. This time open terminal and type (without the quotes) 'resetpassword' and press return. A password recovery window will appear. Oddly, leave that window there & in the top left of the screen under the 'Recovery Assistant' menu, choose 'erase mac' and follow the steps to erase the mac
11) Oddly also, after the computer reboots & you re-enter your wifi details & such; the next step is to repeat step 10; that is choose terminal; type 'resetpassword' again and again with the reset password window open choose 'erase mac' from the 'recovery assistant' menu
12) Your mac should now be 'activated' without you having to enter in your icloud login details.. This means that your mac is ACTUALLY now wiped clean. I was told to re-install big sur using the menu, except there was no volume available to re-install on (e.g. couldn't choose macintosh hd during the setup because it wasn't there).
13) Then I was shown this other apple silicon instruction page: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211983
14) we tried the terminal thing (e.g. pasting in all of the commands in step 3) of the terminal instructions. That didn't work because there was no folder /Volumes/Untitled
15) So we went back to disk utility and 'erased' the internal drive to create a new Macintosh HD. This failed on first atempt, but created a propper disk heirarcy (e.g. device name->disk name) under 'internal). So selecting the sub disk created under the device that was just created, tried 'erasing' this again. Which worked.
16) Exited back to recovery utilities, and 'reinstalled big sur' again.
17) This time everything worked.. Was able to set up a new account again & log into big sur, wifi is fast and solid. Not going to try my luck with time machine again; going to manually re-install things one at a time.. That way when/if it breaks again I'll know what the cause was.

Reactions: ChrisChaval

Papa23

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia
Did you try to run first aid using the Disk Utility? If it was working prior tp the migration you may have imported some odd settings from the old MBP?

Also try to run the wireless diagnostic tool: https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/mac-help/mchlf4de377f/mac
Had the phone call with tech support. Erased the Mac, reloaded Big Sur, manually copied the items from external hard drive, and problem solved. Tech said issue appeared to be a hiccup in Big Sur. All good now. Riding down the interstate, working away...

Reactions: Retryc

zidaneism

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2020
Are you using a Wifi 6 router? I discovered that my macbook pro m1 does the same thing as yours when connected to a wifi 6 router (ASUS TUF AX3000). When connecting to other 5GHz routers, it's fine. What's your router model?
By the way if the macbook pro is connected to the 2.4Ghz network, it is also working fine without issue. I also really hope it's just a driver issue.
Exactly the same issue with Asus RT-AX3000 (Same model with different model no for different region?)! I will try to connect to 2.4GHz network.

Prorege1

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2020
Wifi 6 is broadcast on the 5 GHz band, try manually to set the channel width to 80.

My system settings as follows MBP M1 (in Danish):

Ubiquiti UniFi Wifi:
PHY-funktion: 802.11ax
BSSID: xxxxxxxxxx
Kanal: 60
Landekode: DK
Netværkstype: Infrastruktur
Sikkerhed: WPA2 Personal
Signal/støj: -67 dBm / -90 dBm
Overførselshastighed: 432
MCS-indeks: 4

Last edited:

intrivil

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
For me, I only have wifi issue with the Asus wifi 6 (AX) router. The asus normal AC router or TPLink wifi 6 router are working fine without issues. I'll try to report this to both apple AND asus, hopefully it can be resolve through a firmware/software update.
For now, if you're looking for a wifi 6 router, I would suggest you stay away from Asus Wifi 6 router for now. If you can wait, wait until this is resolved because Asus router is otherwise great, just not compatible with the Macbook M1 right now.

Reactions: zidaneism

faxao

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2008
Milano, Italy
For me, I only have wifi issue with the Asus wifi 6 (AX) router. The asus normal AC router or TPLink wifi 6 router are working fine without issues. I'll try to report this to both apple AND asus, hopefully it can be resolve through a firmware/software update.
For now, if you're looking for a wifi 6 router, I would suggest you stay away from Asus Wifi 6 router for now. If you can wait, wait until this is resolved because Asus router is otherwise great, just not compatible with the Macbook M1 right now.
No wifi 6 problems whatsoever here with my RT-AX88U router and MBA M1: fast and rock solid since day 1.

Prorege1

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2020
Try these settings: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ax3000-troubles.63847/

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
Don't know if I can help somebody, but I had WiFi Issues (Disconnects, especially Personal Hotspot from iPhone).
No Workaround fixed it so I decided to clean install.
In the process, I erased my SSD and somehow killed my Mac. It stucked in the account creation. So I had to revive it via Apple Configurator 2 and another Mac.

But know it works like a charm. I hope it will stay like this.

Reactions: faxao

nepe

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2015
Running wifi on a new Azores wifi 6 mesh router. Have had issues with loss of wifi waking from sleep and randomly while using my new MBA M1. I found that turning wifi off and then back on would reconnect. Wife's 2019 MBA Intel having no problems. Continued, so I called Apple support. Was asked to reboot modem and router, which I did, but problem is still ongoing. Apple support didn't seem to be very interested. Problem is still happening. It's frustrating to have the newest technology from Apple and it has a persistent nagging problem. I am hoping that if enough people raise the issue to Apple they will investigate and fix it with an future update.

tommy7600

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
I have the same issue. Tried anything to resolve it. Today I have made VPN connection and I didn't see the network traffic drop. Hope it's not only a happy accident.

tommy7600

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
BTW, my WiFi driver: "wl0: Dec 8 2020 23:40:39 version 18.27.2.0.7.8.102 FWID 01-be15e2c1"

heisenberg832

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
I am a first time Mac owner and I have an M1 MBP and an Asus GT-AX11000 and experiencing the same issue, having to disable/re-enable wifi constantly to get it working again. I am always streaming video in multiple windows like YouTube, Hulu, and an RDP connection to a Windows machine that controls my surveillance cameras and randomly all my video streams, web pages, RDP connection start buffering endlessly before the WiFi icon starts animating and telling me there's no internet connection while there are no issues with any other device, including an iPad, iPhone, Windows PCs, etc. I contacted Apple support and they were of no help. I don't know what to do, I read everything I could about this online and I haven't found a good fix. I see a common denominator with this issue appears to be Asus Wifi 6 routers which is troubling because I paid like $500 for my router and I'm not about to sell it and spend more money to downgrade.

tommy7600

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
I am a first time Mac owner and I have an M1 MBP and an Asus GT-AX11000 and experiencing the same issue, having to disable/re-enable wifi constantly to get it working again. I am always streaming video in multiple windows like YouTube, Hulu, and an RDP connection to a Windows machine that controls my surveillance cameras and randomly all my video streams, web pages, RDP connection start buffering endlessly before the WiFi icon starts animating and telling me there's no internet connection while there are no issues with any other device, including an iPad, iPhone, Windows PCs, etc. I contacted Apple support and they were of no help. I don't know what to do, I read everything I could about this online and I haven't found a good fix. I see a common denominator with this issue appears to be Asus Wifi 6 routers which is troubling because I paid like $500 for my router and I'm not about to sell it and spend more money to downgrade.
Try to use QoS on your router and limit bandwidth to 500 mbps on M1.

ahendarman

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2013
I had Wi-Fi issue on my 2019 16” and 2018 13”, traced it down to unlock with Apple Watch. I have a rock solid Wi-Fi since turning it off.
Maybe it’s the same with M1 model.

Reference thread

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.