Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Hi all,

Really hoping that someone in here can help me. I used to have a 15" Retina MacBook Pro (base level 2013 model) that I 'downgraded' from to a MacBook (base level 1.1GHz). I've just returned from vacation and didn't have any problems with the WiFi while travelling to various motels and hotels. Now I'm home, the problems I was having with the WiFi on my old machine have resurfaced on the new one.

Basically I get very long ping responses and lots of disconnects from the WiFi, Safari takes ages and streaming anything to the Apple TV is a pain as it stops and starts. I originally thought it was Yosemite on my 15" rMBP but the same symptoms seem to have come to my new MacBook now that I am home. I did a Time Machine backup before I got rid of the old machine and used this to restore the new machine. There's something clearly affecting OS X, that was on the Time Machine backup, thats now been brought to the new machine.

I know its the machine and not a problem with the router as none of my other devices experience any problems. I'm actually writing this post on my sisters refurb Early 2014 13" MacBook Air (that I also got while on vacation). I've got a terminal window open on each machine and I'm pinging my router. The ping response from the MacBook Air are all fine. Mostly about 2-5ms with the occasional jump up to about 20ms, but on my rMB I get anything from 1ms right up and over 1000ms and lots of time outs. I've opened up Console and am looking at system.log and can see when the rMB reestablishes connection to the router. There are also lots of errors regarding QuickTimePlayerX not having permission to save file assets in the folder cloudkit.

Any help or advice would be appreciated (except of course a reinstall of OS X...)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-27 at 17.32.37.png
    Screen Shot 2015-06-27 at 17.32.37.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 478

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Interestingly, I've just logged in with my partners account on my machine and pings are fine. Must be something about my profile :S

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Looks like I'm not the only one who had these issues.
Fixes are either turn on&off wifi, quit and open safari, or reboot.
I have no clue why this problem hasn't been fixed yet as it seems to be a software problem (hopefully!)

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Turning WiFi off and back on again doesn't work for me. A reboot fixes it.

I'm certain there is something weird with my profile on the machine though as I've got another account set up and if I do the ping test, I don't get the same symptoms. Also, the problem originated on my old machine and has reoccured on the new one. So it has to be something funky with my profile.

Might create a new one and move over to that for a while and see how I get on.

pac

facrat

macrumors member
May 15, 2015
Turning WiFi off and back on again doesn't work for me. A reboot fixes it.

I'm certain there is something weird with my profile on the machine though as I've got another account set up and if I do the ping test, I don't get the same symptoms. Also, the problem originated on my old machine and has reoccured on the new one. So it has to be something funky with my profile.

Might create a new one and move over to that for a while and see how I get on.

pac
Did you try the tips linked in my post? Those are pretty standard now for fixing WiFi issues on Yosemite.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
No change in my issue on 10.10.4-- still lose internet connection a) when resuming from sleep; and b) randomly during use; both requireing turning wifi off/on to reconnect to the internet.

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I update to 10.4.4 and I am still have random connection issues when it wakes from sleep.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Try this;
  • Copy these instructions, you will be disconnected and need to reboot the system
  • Network Preferences - Select Wi-Fi Service (in the left column) - Click the Cog icon - Select "Make Service Inactive" - Select Apply
  • Select the same Wi-Fi Service - Delete It and reboot the system
  • Network Preferences - Create a New Service
  • Select Wi-Fi under Interface, name the Service something other than Wi-Fi (if you retain the previous name the WiFi dropping can reoccur on reboot) - Click Create
  • Click Apply
Q-6

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Try this;
  • Copy these instructions, you will be disconnected and need to reboot the system
  • Network Preferences - Select Wi-Fi Service (in the left column) - Click the Cog icon - Select "Make Service Inactive" - Select Apply
  • Select Wi-Fi under Interface, name the Service something other than Wi-Fi (if you retain the previous name the WiFi dropping can reoccur on reboot) - Click Create
  • Click Apply
Q-6

Brilliant! I will give this a go.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Having issues here as well. I posted about this a while back and no one was able to relate to my issues. 10.10.4 didn't help much.

Dayv

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
Try this;
  • Click Apply
Q-6
This seems to be doing the trick so far.

Edit: nope, still happening.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.