Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
I just noticed the warning message mentioned in the title. It definitely wasn't there in the past. I don't know if an iOS or router firmware update caused this issue. Also strange: This warning message only appears for the 5 GHz network and not the 2.4 GHz one. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this issue? Thanks a lot in advance. This is how the message looks like (in German):
IMG_3203.jpeg

Reactions: southnorth

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Looks like the solution was simpler than expected: A restart of my iPhone solved the issue :p

Reactions: Samdh90

Samdh90

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2021
Not sure if this helps but other people running iOS 14 had this issue as well. One thing that you can try that is not mentioned in this thread is to forget the known network, then reconnect and see if you are still getting the warning. Otherwise, look here;

Reactions: chris4565

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I just noticed the warning message mentioned in the title. It definitely wasn't there in the past. I don't know if an iOS or router firmware update caused this issue. Also strange: This warning message only appears for the 5 GHz network and not the 2.4 GHz one. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this issue? Thanks a lot in advance. This is how the message looks like (in German):
View attachment 1905886

Your case being an exception this message isn't always something that needs to be "fixed". That said, on a home network you should check on your end device (iPhone in this case) to make sure if you are using DNS servers that support encryption. Also parental control functions (even if they aren't targeting you) can cause this.

Not saying you in particular, but often people will see 'network blocking encryption' and jump to that meaning "not secure" therefore there must be a problem that needs fixing. Often this is actually caused by the opposite, a network that has security at levels considered oppressive.

Enterprise level business and government facilities can and will block their DNS ports and redirect DNS queries to their own DNS resolver. If they are not deploying encrypted DNS protocols they will be blocked causing apps to 'fallback' to using unencrypted DNS queries. If the app uses a "strict" encryption DNS policy via iOS it will be unable to obtain an IP address from the domain name that was typed in and just not work.

The purpose of this is to protect the network, its data and the users on it regardless of their computer savviness. On a large network with a lot of users there is bound to be someone that is computer illiterate and is unknowingly and actively trying to install malware via a phishing scam. Network admins can then see this and address it proactively versus dealing the aftermath of a virus spreading across the network.

TL;DR. Check your devices DNS servers for accuracy and ability use encrypted DNS protocols. Address any parental controls that are monitoring and/or filtering your DNS traffic.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Ive noticed sometimes my iPad has the warning, sometimes my iPgone, both on 5Ghz both on a AX router using WPA2 AES/WPA3 at 80Mhz, it appears that when my ISP renews the lease on my fixed IP it sets the warning off, also if the gateway changes that can cause it too. I'm guessing there may be a bug in this that needs working on as turning your phone off for 30 seconds and back on seems to cure it for a while, then again a facetime call can trigger it too for me, so I'm putting this down to iOS 15 being a buggy because I never had the issues with 14.8.1 on my old iPhone 12 and the iPad Pro 3rd Gen hasn't changed. Even forgetting networks and wiping the iPad (it needed it) didn't cure this warning appearing now and then.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
It seems this warning is just telling you your network does not support Encrypted DNS (DoH or DoT) oBlivious DNS is really DoH and my router does not support it, also I dont use iCloud so I dont even know why it was turned on under Limit IP Tracking, as I would not gain any benefit from it being on (which I tested) also I was losing some throughput. I know some Asus routers with Merlins firmware support it, but since mine does not as it examines my DNS lookups to make sure I'm not going anywhere bad, a bit like NextDNS its fine for me to not worry about it and turning it off just gets rid of that warning on my home network. I have not seen the warning since, but basically its turned off so I wont but since it wasn't doing anything for me it was just annoying and slowed me down a bit, but having the warning does not mean there is a issue its just that, a warning your hardware or network provider do not support DoH It may be worth asking your router manufacture or ISP if you use their one if they plan to enable it.

Some VPN's are getting confused by it too as they think its a VPN already (it isn't as we know) so they wont work as they think you have one already, I guess this is why its still in beta. Be aware turning off Limit IP Address Tracking is like turning off Relay for your home Network or Cellular provider, but if it does not work and you get that warning, there really is no harm anyway turning it off for now as I see it.

*Edit Well that didnt stop if for long so I turned it back on, basically unless your router supports DNS over DoH or DNS over DoT this warning will keep coming back. I wish Apple would sort it out so it didn't persist as I never had this warning in 14.8.1 which had Encrypted DNS I believe and people keep restarting their phones trying to get rid of the thing until it comes back again. Most routers don't support this and corporate/Enterprise networks more than likely won't either, as they tend to monitor their environment more closely. Apple should turn the heat down a bit for the average home network because I'm not going out to buy a new router that does support it just to get rid of a warning, and I didn't have to turn off my iPhone and iPad in iOS 14 to stop this warning.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.