Wifi SLOW after 10.6.4 update! :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hexero, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Hexero macrumors regular

Hi guys! After I updated to 10.6.4, my Wifi is dead slow! Sometimes, if I play Diablo II, I'm loosing the connection, getting 1000ping, etc. My Wifi is also very much slower than before. My father is not having the same problem with he's Laptop running W7. Somebody experiencing the same problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Hexero.

2. owdin macrumors member

I'm having similar issues.

Since 10.6.4 my wifi is limited to 1.5MB/s where before it was 2.5MB/s (G wifi)

Over ethernet I still have my native 3.5MB/s.

However I don't want to use ethernet cables all over the house.

Anygow, this is quite annoying.

3. itsboosting macrumors newbie

i thought i was the only one with the problem. i get random spikes in my wifi where i'll be running at normal speed, and other times where my wifi just freezes. initially i thought it was my bt hogging up all the bandwidth :confused:

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Are these all the new MBP? My iMac does not have these issues. I will look at the 13" MBP I just got and see if it has any issues.

Cheers,

5. owdin macrumors member

I'm having it on a Unibody macbook from 2008, the early versions, now called Macbook pro 13 :p

6. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

I just upgraded to 10.6.4 and no problems so far, internet is behaving as usual...

7. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Same problem with my MBP! Sometimes I'm getting 1-2 bars or it's asking which network to choose... It's been in the same spot for 3 months :)

8. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. Check my sig for MBP stats.

Just installed Windows 7 in boot camp, WIFI seems faster here. And the WIFI seems better in OS X too now, but its unstable.. Downloading in Windows is normal, downloading in OS X is ass.

9. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

super excited to find this post I am having the same issue, more "iffy" than slow exactly, it dies randomly. never happened before update, very very sad here. tried reseting safari, cookies, cache, router connection rest, etc, not helping. this is like ruining my computing experience, since internet is what I use on my macbook pro 90% of the time.

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

This is interesting, I too thought it was just my problem. My wifi has been acting a bit sluggish when just normal browsing, downloads seem to be fine, but loading a page seems to take quite a bit of effort and time. Although it might just be my modem, since I've been having these problems on and off for a while now.

11. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I havent noticed any slow downs as far as download speed goes but I did revert back to Safari 4 from time machine.

12. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

So what should we do? It IRRITATES me everytime I play.. I'm lagging as hell. Could somebody call Apple? I don't have a phone available ATM..

13. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Same problem here. It took 4 hours to download 10.6.4. Downloading things on my windoze computer is still way quicker.

14. autdavid macrumors newbie

try "verify disk permission" after u installed the update.

15. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

You mean repair.

16. ottomobille macrumors newbie

Same on new Mac mini

I just got the new unibody mac mini and my wifi is acting very slow and jumpy too, i usually have to reload the page 4 or 5 times for it to fully load.

17. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

i also tried to repair permissons and it did not work, apple needs to roll out another update, and is it just me or did they put back the blue progress bar in the address field? I get so angry at it when its suck 1/8 the way through.

18. owdin macrumors member

Got my normal speed back by installing the update of iTunes...

19. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking of just re-installing OSX, 'cause then I'll get the 10.6.3 back..
    If I put the CD in, and choose install, will all my data get lost?

20. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for DP, but OMG JESUS...
    Valve says Steam runs worse on the 10.6.4 update PLUS that my computer uses 20 seconds to turn off.
    Now I AM bringing my Snow Leopard disk up from the case! God how unprofessional of Apple..

21. EHVio macrumors newbie

So I'm getting the feeling I should stay at 10.6.3. I haven't bothered to update yet, as everything's working fine for me....

22. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

Don't even think about doing it! Seriously..
    OSX 10.6.4 is unstable ATM.

But same question again: If I put in the Snow Leopard CD and install everything as normal, will I loose all of my programs + boot camp?

23. Phazer macrumors member

Same problem here.
    I even did a clean install, but internet is blocked at 1,1mb/s instead of my usual 2,6mb/s :(
    I hope they fix this quickly!
    I sometimes think they don't even test the updates before they release them...

24. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I just noticed that as well,that's why i don't use safari anymore,Chrome is much faster.

25. khooke macrumors newbie

Same here - MBP 15" just installed 10.4.6 last week and have been suffering since. Just found this post since my suspicion from some experiments so far is that as soon as I power on my MBP it also impacts the performance of my other PCs on my wifi network - the issue comes and goes which is very random.