Wifi speed on iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aevan, Nov 21, 2015.

1. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I never understood wifi networks or networks in general. I know how to change channels and frequencies on my router, but that's it.

Anyway, I have a 50Mbps connection at home - however, I never get those speeds on my iOS devices. On my iMac, I get around 40Mbps on wifi and full 48-50Mbps when I hook the LAN cable. However, on my iPhone 6 and now iPad Pro, I get 30Mbps tops, usually around 25Mbps.

I'm not sure why it works better on my iMac, but I'm guessing the iPad pro should be able to hit these maximum speeds as well. I'm using some Cisco router that was installed by the cable provider. It doesn't support 5Ghz, only 2.4Ghz, and is probably not a great router.

Do you think a better router would help these things? Any suggestions?

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Better router will probably help, but you are traditionally not going to get the 50 over wifi. You should be able to get the same as the iMac is getting though.

3. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

Better wifi access point might help, most "free" routers that providers use are cheap and crappy. but are there any other signals that interfere? I understand you don't like it, but it looks like your only solution is to get more knowledgable or find help.

I have a huge interference in my neihgboorhood combined with heavy insulation in every ceiling so the only solution is to have have a wifi ap on every floor. And my Mac mini and thunderbolt screen are wired. My internet connection at home is a 500/500 fibre and I can get that without trouble via Ethernet cat6 and somewhere between 350/450 via wifi on my iPhone 6s or iPad pro. Indisabled the wifi on the router I got from my provider and only use it to login and then use 3com Ethernet splitters and ruckus wifi ap's.

4. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

I get great wifi from Comcast.

Attached Files:

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Your issue is your router. 2.4ghz depending on obstructions will see 30-40 5ghz however will allow access to your full 50 that you pay for.

6. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

I don't mind learning more stuff, but I am not sure where to look for it - or help. The thing is, servicemen from the cable company seem to know even less then me. To be honest, I'm not even sure what to Google for - as the topic seems to be a complex one.

Either way, thanks for the advice everyone, at least I know it should be possible to reach the speeds I have on my Macs. I will explore more.

7. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

Thanks! I'll try a better router then.

8. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Get an ac router, and it will help immensely.

9. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

the problem is your router, you need at least an 802.11ac 2*2 (i.e. 1200m) router to take full advantege of ipad.
    my connection is comcast 150mbps, so the max i got on my ipad/ipone is ~180 (guess you already know how comcast is so fast during off-peak hours, and during peak hours, i only got <20mbps.... shame on you comcast!), there is little to no difference between full 3*3 imac and ios devices.
    and internal LAN speed, the max i got on my ipad was 500-600mbps, and on imac sometimes 900+mbps (i have a time capsule)

change your router, you will see a huge boost. especially internal LAN speed (i.e., imac <--> ipad)

10. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

X2

11. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

so basically how your network is like this

comcast server ------1------- your cable modem ------2------- your (wireless router) ------3------ your devices (wired/wireless)

the cable company only take cares of 1 and 2, that is saying as long as your cable modem is getting the right speed, they dont give a s*** to what speed you get on your devices.

and for your, your bottleneck is 3, because you are using a weak router, so your router is not capable to deliver full 50 mbps speed to your devices wirelessly. so replaceing it with a better, premium router will solve your network speed.

12. S197Mike macrumors member

I was literally going to recommend the same router. I've had this router for a while now and it is amazing. I kept killing routers, bad throughput and always dropping signal. I gave up, did some research, and landed with the nighthawk ac1900. Best damn router for under 200 bucks I'd say, all the linksys routers have pretty bad reviews.

13. friedmud macrumors 65816

iPad Pro screams on Verizon Fios with the "FIOS Quantum Gateway" router (their new 802.11AC router). I'm signed up at 75Mbps bi-directional... and I get it....

image.png

14. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

The Netgear Nightghawk X6 Tri-band is delivering me a solid 80 MB/s down and 10 MB/s up on my Pro throughout my three home, best router I have ever owned

15. alexgarlock macrumors newbie

Little late to the party but found this image. I notice I get about 300 Mbps down on mine. I have three apple extremes (1 for every floor) connected at 5ghz

Attached Files:

16. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah. I get 100MBps via wifi and I connect to the Fios Quantum router 5Ghz network.

17. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

My experience with Apple extreme routers is that they deliver solid connections, fast speeds, average range and do not break down even after many years of use.

The latest model with Wifi AC delivers 100% of my cable bandwidth (60Mbps)

18. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Did something change in this in 9.3? On my Air 2, I'm suddenly getting 87Mbps on my Comcast link here at home when last I tested - under 9.2.1 - I was seeing about 56Mbps. My other machines - Windows boxes and Galaxy Note 4 phone - are still getting in the 50-60Mbps range. The only new element in all of this is 9.3. I'm using the Speedtest utility everywhere, running all against the same server, all on 2.4GHz.

edit - Scratch that as apparently it is an improvement from the Comcast side as I am now getting the same 80+Mbps on my Note 4 phone.

19. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Wow!!! Nice!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2016 ---
    Just soooooo jealous!!!

20. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I get just over half my paid for speed on average over wifi.

BUT...

image.jpeg

I pay for 300 down/20 up. I get over 300 over Ethernet. On wifi, I lose quite a bit, but I live in a crowded NYC apt building with tons of interference, and my speeds are still higher than my iPad knows what to do with, so no complaints.

As others have mentioned, an AC router will help, but getting 25-30 on a 50 connection is pretty darn good for wifi.

21. Farns514, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016

Farns514 macrumors 6502

Farns514

i pay for 75Mbps through Comcast and i bought the modem they recommend from Best Buy and then purchased a Nighthawk X4 AC2350 and I am getting 90Mbps DOWN and between 12-18Mbps UP. I think the router definitely does make a difference with controlling and processing bandwidth.

22. alexgarlock macrumors newbie

Still need to figure out why upload is slower. Not quite sure there. Not like 80mbs isn't enough though haha

Attached Files:

23. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Providers optimize bandwidth utilization for download speed since it has the greatest usage.

24. aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

I solved my issue by getting an Asus RT-AC66U router. Now I get full speeds over wifi but only when using a 5Ghz network.