Wifi stuttering every 5 minutes

proudnixon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Hello! I’ve got MBP 15 2017, Mojave. I’m playing video games using cloud platform based on realtime video streaming, so the connection stability is critical for me. I’m using wifi and almost everything works fine, except one thing: I’ve got some kind of lag every 5 minutes. Connection starts loosing packages for 3-5 seconds and then comes back to normal. At first I thought it was my router, but I tested it with windows laptop and got no lag. So, it’s definitely my mac’s problem. And every time the interval between these lags is EXACTLY 5 minutes and 0 seconds, so it looks like this is smth being programmed to happen. Feels like telemetry or «refreshing connection status» to me. Because the same package loss happens when I click wifi icon in the status bar and it starts scanning for new networks. No other traffic in the net monitor during the lag, btw. Anybody got ideas wtf is this? And how can I disable this or increase this interval between the lags maybe?

BODYBUILDERPAUL

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
Are you using 5Ghz WiFi setting or 2.4Ghz? 2.4 is prone to interference. An example, I have 400mbps fibre BUT on the 2.4ghz setting my neighbours WiFi interferes - neighbours not using Ch1,6, 11 but 2,3,5,7,9 etc which blocks everything out and I get 0.5mbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I switched off on the router the 2.4ghz setting and only use 5ghz which is 99% reliable :)

proudnixon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
I'm using 5GHz and everything works smooth as butter between these intervals. As I said, it's not something external, that's my mac doing something intentionally that disrupts the connection. Maybe refreshing the networks scanning, telemetry, etc...

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
I don’t mean to insult your intelligence, but are you sure you’re using 5GHz? Is your 2.4Ghz disabled? Another SSID? Are you sure it’s not bouncing between them? Just asking because sometimes people are certain they’re using 5GHz and then it turns out that they’re not really.

Any other 5GHz networks?

Is it every 5 minutes of use? Or five minutes of real time? Like 12:05, 12:10, 12:15; or is it five minute intervals from when you start using it? So if you start playing at 12:02 it will predictably be 12:07?
Do data transfers also stop?

What channel are you using? And does it change?

What does Activity Monitor show for network usage during these 3-5 seconds?

How far are you from an airport?