WiFi sucks on iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Cyberius11, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Cyberius11 macrumors regular

My iPad Air has worked flawlessly since I purchased it. After the iOS 8 update, it barely functions on WiFi. I've resorted to using it on LTE most of the time as it is constantly dropping connections or running extremely slowly on WiFi. Same with my iPhone 6. I have an AirPort Extreme router and all my non-Apple devices are 100% fine.

I wish I hadn't upgraded my iPad - no choice on the phone unfortunately- now I'm blowing through my cellular data when I have a 100mb connection at my house they can't use.

This sucks ass. I hope Apple fixes this soon.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Did you do all the usual stuff? Reset network settings, restore as new, etc.?

3. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

try things like resetting network settings & restore + reflash the device as new then observe again before restoring backup, before just saying it sucks. cause its about 50/50 for having wifi problem or not

since u didnt specify any attempts u did to fix it. also some said disabling cell data fixes it

4. Cyberius11 thread starter macrumors regular

I've done the usual reset stuff.

Why would I disable cell data, I use cell data when I'm not at home.

----------

Also half the time it just drops the WiFi connection completely. The only way it reconnects is to turn wifi off and on, then it reconnects. No issues until I updated to 8.

5. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

i didnt tell u to i said some have said it fixed their wifi issue, if it was to work id turn off data when im on wifi then turn it on when u leave..

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

On Wi-Fi, my iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0 wouldn't speedtest any higher than 10mbps on my home cable modem.

With 8.0.2, it hit 59.37mbps, which is pretty much as fast as the cable modem goes.

For me anyway, night and day difference between Wi-Fi on 8.0 vs 8.0.2.

7. steve1960 macrumors member

What is working for me

I have an iPhone 6 which I picked up last Wednesday but had not had a chance to play with it on WiFi until this morning. Running 8.0.2

Would not connect to my office WiFi, in fact appeared not to be able to see it at all. I carried out these two actions:

a) Reset network settings - didn't help
    b) Switched off WiFi networking - phone immediately found the office WiFi

Connection to regular web sites is faster than Samsung Galaxy S3, the only benchmark I have sitting on the desk today!

Connection has not dropped in the last 6 hours.

Now I just have to see what if anything works for my wife's iPhone 5S and iPad Air this evening. She is fast approaching 'axe wielding homicidal maniac' mode

8. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Really pissed off with losing wifi in iOS 8 on my iPhone 6 Plus. The only way I get it back is rebooting the device

9. mazdamiata210 Suspended

10. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

On my iPhone 5s running 8.0.2 I get the maximum (and a little more) that my cable modem service provides (30Mbps down and 5Mbps up) when I run a test using the Speedtest.net app. I get that throughout my two floor house (even in the basement). That's with 802.11n with my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH Router.

11. I7guy macrumors G5

On my 5s wifi is stable as a rock. I think this has to do with router issues and IOS 8. Something about IOS 8 and wifi. My router, r8000, is running beta firmware. Also not having issues on other wifi networks, like Starbucks.

12. rxd macrumors newbie

I also find that iOS 8 has some wifi issues. 8.0.2 helped a lot so I'm ok with it for now. But I was having major issues with 8.0

13. steve1960 macrumors member

Best not to listen to the wife's description of a fault. Better to actually get hands on the equipment! Her actual problem was images not opening in advertisements on Ebay which was a local Ebay problem not Apple hardware or software!

So I can confirm iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPad mini, iPad Air and iPad 4th Gen all working fine with no issues on 8.0.2 so far.

14. vahdyx macrumors regular

vahdyx

I am also having this issue. I turned off WiFi networking and it still didn't find it. I had to reboot the phone then it found it.

15. rjjacobson macrumors 6502a

rjjacobson

On a more positive note, my 6plus has had no WIFI or other problems. I have however for now also not upgraded to 8.0.2 since it works fine with all routers at home and at work and elsewhere. Speedtests show I am gettting the max possible on home and office routers.

It sure looks to me like more of the 6's are having issues from 8.0 than anthing and 8.0.2 does not help. Not sure how many were find with 8.0 and then had problems with 8.0.2 so I will still wait.

16. chillstatus macrumors member

Wish I read this forum before updating my iPad Air. Wifi performance is terrible. Will try erasing everything and restoring, but this is a major pain in the ass.

17. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

My WI-FI had been rock solid with both of my 6+

18. ybenali macrumors member

Mine is working perfectly. Screenshot below

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/979915489

Attached Files:

19. i-aamir macrumors 6502a

Wifi cutting out and requries reboot to find networks again?!

The DNS 8.8.8.8 option seemed to fix the Wi-Fi losing activity on my iPhone 6 Plus (UK) but it didn't resolve the Wi-Fi just dropping out fully. Even with the new DNS setting on my phone's connections ( not from the router) the Wi-Fi dropped out fully and would not find anything when searching unless I restarted the phone. This is a big issue and very annoying. Does anyone think the Wi-Fi cutting out and not being able to find networks is a hardware issue or still related to 8.0.2?

Has anyone found a temporary fix for the Wi-Fi completely cutting out?

Just to note when the Wi-Fi does work I have never had slow speeds. Its always blazing fast.

Any comments / suggestions would be appreciated.

20. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

Mine keeps dropping i then have to keep joining my network, or sometimes it won't find the network so i have to switch power on and off

21. JDP1970 macrumors member

Since I updated to IOS 8.02 my 6 plus has dropped 5g Wifi twice. On both occasions I rebooted which resolved this. Speed has been fine.

Turning off mobile data solves nothing - I never have mobile data enabled at home.

My old iPhone 4 running on IOS 7 & on the 2.4G network has never (to my knowledge) dropped its connection.

22. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Mine is obviously not as fast as what I get wired but it is a big improvement from my 5s.

23. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Another data point for iPhone 6 and 8.0.2.

Had the not connecting to wi-fi some days back. Had it occur in the middle of the night last night.

Woke up around 1:00am and saw that the phone was showing "LTE" in the banner vs. usual wi-fi logo. Usually connect to the 5GHz connection. Tried the variations of turn wi-fi on/off, didn't try turning LTE on/off. Fell asleep. Somewhere during the night, phone connected to the 2.4GHz band. Reselected the 5GHz band in the morning, still hanging onto it.

Been running Google DNS (8.8.8.8) for years on the home router, so, not a solution, IMO. Going to try airplane mode on/off to see if that shakes anything loose, ditto LTE on/off, next time.

iPad 3 with 8.0.2 does not seem to have had any issues to-date. And don't believe it's the router (only like 2yo, and the iPad was locked in at same time iPhone was LTEing).

24. antwan448 macrumors newbie

antwan448

Maybe its just a problem on Ipads' because i still use my A5 chip Iphone 4s (16gb) and the wifi is fine with ios8, but there are still some bugs, like when you get a notification in an app, you cant swipe it up to get it away, i have to click the home button.