Wifi Sync Doesn't Work (iPhone 4/iPad 2)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sooner518, Oct 5, 2011.

1. sooner518 macrumors member

Installed iOS 5 GM last night on both my iPad 2, and iPhone 4 without any problems. Running Windows 7, 64 bit and iTunes 10.5 beta 7 (10.5.0.113). Before last night, was on the most recent versions of iOS (4.3.x. Dont remember exactly)

I cannot get iTunes to recognize my iPad or my iPhone over wifi. I have checked off the box on iTunes (Sync over Wi-Fi) when my phone is plugged into the computer, applied the setting and sync-ed. I have restarted both the phone and the computer. (I have tried this while the phone is plugged into the wall-charger as well as without the charger).

When I go to "iTunes Wifi Sync" in Settings (both iPad and iPhone), the "Sync Now" button is greyed out and says "Sync will resume when "Computer Name" is available". iTunes never seems to recognize my phone or iPad over the wi-fi network. (yes, they are definitely on the same network).

Is there some setting I am missing or forgetting? Ive searched all throughout the forums and havent found anything that can help. Thanks a ton

2. ZManChu macrumors newbie

I've having the exact same issue. Havent figured it out either...

3. ZManChu macrumors newbie

Fixed it! Bonjour was not installed. I downloaded from apple site, installed, rebooted and it worked!

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

What is Bonjour?

(I'm on a Mac and I am having the same issue).

5. sooner518 thread starter macrumors member

ive had Bonjour problems in the past. Can you specify a link or what you did to install that specifically? Im pretty sure I have Bonjour installed on the computer, ut maybe its not current. Thanks! (I'd look around for it now, but Im at work and wont be home til this afternoon)

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Here is a link to the page on Apple.com
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999

7. sooner518 thread starter macrumors member

Sweet. Installing bonjour and rebooting worked for me. Thanks!

8. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

What if you have a Mac and don't have Bonjour, the apple site seems to only show Windows downloads.

9. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

this didn't work for me (windows 7 64 bit) stop stating this as a fix...

10. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Bonjour is built in on a Mac.

11. CupawnTae macrumors newbie

Check Windows Firewall

I had the same problem on Windows 7 x64. Saw this thread and checked Bonjour was running ok, but it got me thinking and I checked my windows firewall. For some reason, Bonjour was being blocked for "Private" and "Domain" networks and allowed for "Public". Possibly a bug in the iTunes beta 7 x64 installer (this was on a clean install of Win7).

In case this is your problem, you can check it as follows:

Control Panel->Windows Firewall->Advanced settings->Inbound Rules

Find any entries for Bonjour Service, and see what it says under "Profile". If it says "Public", that could be your problem. Double-click each entry, goto advanced tab and enable Private and Domain. Seems to me "Public" should probably be disabled so you're not advertising your presence on public networks; use your own discretion there.

Once I enabled these two profiles and restarted iTunes, bingo! iPhone is now visible in iTunes, and "Sync Now" button is enabled in iPhone settings.

Win 7 x64, iOS5 GM, iTunes beta 7

12. dwain macrumors newbie

dwain

This didn't help me. Actually my profiles were already private :(

13. CupawnTae macrumors newbie

Is your "Sync ... over Wi-Fi" option in iTunes still checked when you plug into USB? I have a separate problem which I haven't found a solution for where that option periodically resets itself and I have to plug into USB to re-enable it (same behaviour since beta 4, through clean reinstall of windows and clean iOS5 GM install, and many people seem to have it).

If the option is staying checked for you, is your network definitely configured as a "home" network? (Apologies if you already know this stuff). Go to Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center. Under "View your active networks", your network should be listed with "Home network" underneath. If it says "Public network", try clicking that and changing to "Home network".

You could also try one of the Bonjour browser iOS Apps to see if any Bonjour services on your computer are visible. For example, when iTunes is running, I can see "Digital Audio Access Protocol (iTunes)" listed for my computer. If you can see these, I guess it means Bonjour is making it through your firewall ok and there's something else wrong.

14. dwain macrumors newbie

dwain

Yes I can see sync over wifi checked each time I plug my phone to USB.

I have a home network set up so I don't think anything else should be wrong about this.

But I've found another problem with other programs. AirMouse uses Bonjour too I guess. I could use airmouse before updating the phone and the itunes. When I launch air mouse trough my phone it can't find the server. But when I enter my computer's internal network ip and the port for airmouse it can connect. So in this case I'm thinking what could cause this. Probably whatever causes this also causes Itunes not to be able to sync over wifi with the phone.

15. Moe UK macrumors regular

This beta is buggy as hell I have lots of instances where the app just crashes or stops working. Wifi sync seems to work sometimes but I had a few instances where I got a message mid sync that iTunes could not find my iPhone.

I also have the problem that iTunes forgets that my phone and pad is connected. I think most of these problems will be ironed out in the official release next week.

16. dwain macrumors newbie

dwain

I've just updated to the latest iTunes version. (Not beta)

But syncing over wifi still is not working. Not only syncing but also Air mouse and Remote are not working either.

I don't know what else to do. I've tried everything.

17. Krandor macrumors 6502

Exactly. I expect tomorrow we are going to get a brand new version of iTunes (maybe even 11) that will be much more reliable for wifi sync then the beta iTunes is.

I expect wifi sync to "just work" once we get all the official software.

----------

What is the exact version number of iTuns you upgraded to? I don't see an official iTunes release.

18. dwain macrumors newbie

dwain

Please check Apple's download page. The new itunes version is available.

19. reale5t macrumors newbie

Same problem here. I have the iOS5 GM with iTunes 10.5 released today running on a Windows computer wired to the internet (no wireless). I also have Bonjour installed on the computer and Bonjour Browser on the iPhone. The iPhone recognizes my iTunes in the Bonjour browser but not in iTunes WiFi Sync. The computer is connected to a Time Capsule and the iPhone is using the same network on the Time Capsule. Any ideas would be helpful.

Also, Airplay from the music on my iPhone to my Apple TV isn't working either, but worked previously with the old 4.3.5 firmware.

20. thx76uk macrumors newbie

Wifi Sync Doesn't Work (iPhone 4/iPad 2)

Hello I have been having the same problem and I think I may know what it could be.

Windows 7 64Bit U
    iTunes 10.5.0.142
    iOS 5

In msconfig > Startup Tab,

Look for AppleSyncNotifier

And see if that's not ticked I think it's why the Wi-Fi sync wasn't working for me. I hope that works for the rest of you as it's been driving me nuts lol

Karl B

21. Zacasaur, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

Zacasaur macrumors newbie

possible solution

I know this may sound dumb but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why wifi sync wasn't working with my iPad. Then I went to the device tab in preferences and saw that I had Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically checked once uncheck worked like a charm. I felt kinda dumb having over looked such a simple thing. Hope my mistake helps someone else

22. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Your mistake just helped me! Thank you very much! :)

23. nero147 macrumors newbie

This worked for me

I was having the same issues. I had wifi sync enabled, my firewall configured and the newest version of bonjour installed. I unchecked open itunes when my iphone is connected (right above the wifi sync option in the summary for the device in itunes) and then it worked for me.

24. dwain macrumors newbie

dwain

I don't have this fie on my computer. Even after reinstallibg itunes.

Nothing worked for me with the suggestions on this page :(

25. bozhan macrumors newbie

i was experiencing the same problem since yesterday. i followed this page whole day. tried everything but nothing worked. finally i found a stupid way to solve it by chance. i just signed up here to tell it 2 u because i know how frustrating this prob is. dont kno why but may work 4 u too.
    i'm using windows 7. i was connected via lan to my router. i changed it to wifi and everything worked out just fine.
    hope this works 4 u too