WiFi Sync Terrible on iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ncsmith4, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

So on my iOS 5 iPhone 4S, wifi sync was brilliant. EVERY time I was home, on wifi and plugged my iPhone or iPad in to charge, the sync animation in the status bar popped up within 2-3 seconds and a sync would begin.

Now, on iOS 6 (yes, I know, it's a beta) its VERY hit and miss. As a matter of fact I think it's only worked correctly maybe twice. If I manually initiate a wifi sync from the Mac, it'll usually work. If I manually initiate a sync from the iPhone or iPad it usually does not work.

Again, I know it's a beta. Well aware. But I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or similar/same issues? Have any of you managed to fix it?

2. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

why bother trying to fix it? the GM is coming out on wednesday anyway.

3. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Yup. Same issue here. I don't think WiFi sync has worked ever.

4. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

It's so buggy even in iOS5 that I had to stop using it...

5. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

...well all I can say is that it worked beautifully and perfectly for me until iOS 6. Hopefully it's just a beta bug for me. :-/

6. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

Yep, iOS6 beta and WiFi sync do not play nice. If you restart the iDevice, iTunes sees it and happily syncs, but as soon as it leaves the network, or you quit iTunes, then it doesn't work again until you rebook the iDevice again. Very beta!

7. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

It's always been hit or miss with me and wifi sync on ios5

8. francowg macrumors newbie

ios 6

experiencing the same issue here but like you said its beta and also apple would not put out iOS 6 with a screwed up wifi sync also i really hope the next iPhone battery is something new and amazing my 4s sucks on iOS 6 so a iPhone 5 with lte ? **** ill need a battery pack !

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's been less than perfect since ML on my iMac.....Sometimes my phone and ipad are recognised sometimes I have to restart either itunes or the devices...I've just gone back to the cable for now...It's no big deal, but it worked fine under Lion.

10. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm no dev:) But I'm sure Apple know..Funnily enough I just did my phone and my ipad prior to tomorrow night...Both worked perfectly first time:)

12. chrisu91 macrumors regular

Wifi sync has worked fine for me on iOS 6 beta. Home Sharing, however, is giving me trouble (although it could be crappy iTunes 10.6.3).

13. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep.

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

15. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

Excellent.

16. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

17. kevo0822 macrumors regular

Not for me... I spent 20 minutes last night trying to figure out why my iPad wasn't syncing over wifi... Eventually I just gave up and plugged the damn thing into MBP.

18. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Yeah, not working here either. Turned on and off and tried instigating it manually. Just stuck on "Looking for [computer name]".

Terrible :/

19. Lopes macrumors 6502

glad I'm not the only one :/ I've tried combinations of rebooting phone, rebooting iTunes, REBOOTING MAC, checking/unchecking the wifi sync and open itunes when connected boxes in iTunes...tons of combinations work some of the time, but no combination works all of the time. It was flawless on iOS 5 for me, and an indispensable feature.

20. Speedyparker87 macrumors member

Could be that development was focused on iTunes 11 synching compatibility... and there will be a few weeks where it doesn't work very well until the update and/or 6.1...

21. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

No.

22. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

Yeah, really buggy in iOS 5 and as buggy with the GM of iOS 6. No change. I suspect that one would need an Apple Wifi router to have it working perfectly.

23. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Today I added some songs to my iTunes library; time to sync to iPhone!

I looked over into the sidebar, no iPhone!
    -Restarted laptop, no dice.
    -Restarted iPhone, ok! iPhone shows up.

Great.

Fast forward 4 hours later when I added some more tracks, guess what? iPad on iOS 5 shows up fine, but again, iPhone disappears.
    -Restarted laptop, nothing.
    -Restarted iPhone; nothing.

This is ridiculous.

24. FoundAHalo macrumors member

FoundAHalo

My iOS 6 Beta devices were buggy as heck with WiFi sync, but since the GM and iTunes 10.7, WiFi sync is working like a charm - as good or better than it was with iOS 5. So I'm happily reporting success! Am I the only one though?

Added: Running on OS X 10.8.1 since GM launch, and now 10.8.2 with no WiFi sync problems using iPhone 4, 4S, and iPad 3.

25. JesalTV Guest

Wifi sync is awesome on my iPhone 4, and since they just released the iTunes update, it's considerably quicker too.

It's a great feature and I hope the public release iOS 6 doesn't mess it up!