Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRicktoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2017
SD CA
Will be. I should have said Monday is the official release date.

Thanks for the clarification. The big question is whether or not I will still need to carry my phone around the house. Are you still experiencing a significant improvement?

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for the clarification. The big question is whether or not I will still need to carry my phone around the house. Are you still experiencing a significant improvement?

Yes pretty significant for me. The way I noticed was I had my phone at one end of the house and I was at the other end. My watch rang and I realized I didn’t have my phone with me. In Control Center it should I was on my WiFi. It has never done that, it has alway stayed on Bluetooth.
When I get home later I’m going to do a test to see how far away I have to be in order for it to switch.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
So yes at the other side of my house it switches over to WiFi. Before the only way for me to get it to switch over anywhere in my house was to turn off Bluetooth. Also the switch over is fairly quick as I walk away then walk back. So all around good news.
Maybe I'll start using my watch more for calls.

iRicktoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2017
SD CA
The watch still holds on to the bluetooth signal even 30 or 40 feet away from the handset before using very strong wifi.
Does anyone see improvement with the new IOS?

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I do see an improvement. It's by no means perfect but for me works much better.
Are you able to make it handoff at all?

iRicktoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2017
SD CA
I do see a handoff but I can be 30 or 40 feet away from the phone, very close to a Wi-Fi and I still see the watch connected to the phone.

When I did receive a call yesterday it was a very poor quality and then it failed so I assume it did not switch over to Wi-Fi even though I was at a great distance away and very close to the Wi-Fi.

iRicktoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2017
SD CA
I do see a handoff but I can be 30 or 40 feet away from the phone, very close to a Wi-Fi and I still see the watch connected to the phone.

When I did receive a call yesterday it was a very poor quality and then it failed so I assume it did not switch over to Wi-Fi even though I was at a great distance away and very close to the Wi-Fi.

Has this issue been resolved, or resolved by purchasing the new Apple watch 4?

Halamaj

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2019
Has this issue been resolved, or resolved by purchasing the new Apple watch 4?

No, I have iphone7 plus with Apple Watch series 4 with cellular. I started looking into this because I cannot stream Apple Radio on watch while running on treadmill with phone in another room.
Even with phone 2 inches away from watch, speedcheck shows .02Mbps on watch. Same test with Bluetooth turned off on phone goes to 20Mbps on watch.
So only solution for me to use watch in my house is to disable Bluetooth on phone. The Bluetooth spec should be much faster than this 0.02Mbps so this must be a bug Apple could fix.
Going to test with my wife’s watch tonight to see if same issue exists there as well. For now, seems Apple has Bluetooth radio so power efficient that it won’t function.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.