Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svsf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Hi,

I am looking for a way to setup a wifi to ethernet bridge under OSX.

This is not officially supported, only Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt (to Gigabit adapter) to ethernet, however, maybe there is a workaround.

Internet sharing is ruled out as it turns OSX into its own DHCP server and that way the direct cable connected device on the ethernet port will never become visible on LAN.

So, this will need to be done manually, maybe with static IP addresses?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
I believe the concept of ICS is to make the Mac an ad-hoc "Router". So, the WiFi port on the Mac gets a network address from the WiFi Router (or Access Point), and creates a "Private" network for anything that connects to the LAN port. So, if WiFi is on 192.168.0.x, the LAN ports might get 172.x.x.x addresses. Apple does all of this under the hood to make it "Just Work" without requiring tinkering. But, the Mac was never intended to be a Network appliance. Since the Mac is acting as a NAT device for everything connected to the LAN port, even static IP will not be visible to hosts on the other side of the Mac due to NAT blocking inbound traffic.

If what you are trying to do is create a more permanent bridge to another part of your home, maybe something like an Airport Express might be in order? With APExpress, it can connect to your network via 2.4 or 5Ghz 802.11n WiFi (or Ethernet), and the 100Mbps LAN port can be connected to a hub\switch to share the LAN port with more devices. If you decide to go this route, the APExpress can be setup as a "Client" on your WiFi (ie, it joins the WiFi, but doesn't provide another WiFi access point for wireless devices). Cost: ~$50 for used AP Express on eBay, $99 new on Apple.com.

If speed is an issue, something like APExtreme with 1Gbps LAN, and 802.11ac WiFi would be in order. Cost: ~$75-100 used on eBay, $199 on Apple.com.

If you are not big on Airport lines, there are plenty of WiFi routers and Access Points in the market, many WiFi routers can be configured as an Access Point to create a WiFi to Ethernet Bridge. Prices will vary greatly.

If it is possible to run Ethernet to the location, that would be the best bet, but if Ethernet cabling is impractical to reach this remote location, perhaps a Powerline or MOCA ethernet adapter would do the job. Newer Powerline adapters can reach speeds approaching 1Gbps between the remote location and router using your power lines to transmit the data. MOCA can similarly do this with in home Coax cables, and it too can reach 1Gbps speeds. If you go this route, don't go with cheap, older generation adapters, the first few iterations of these adapters were pretty slow by comparison. Cost: $75-150 give or take. Examples: Powerline MOCA

svsf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Thanks for your insights.

Haven't tried it yet but I know from others that ethernet to ethernet bridge will work and provide the device attached with a proper IP address from the DHCP server. Will try and see. I am talking Mac Mini 2014 as music server with a direct cable connection to a network streamer that provides a GUI and for that I need DHCP to be accessible.

Only question was if the same can work with Wifi and ethernet on the same device.

Chris

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Why not just buy a cheap, 4 port Ethernet switch, connect one port to the router, one to the Mac mini, and one to the Network Streamer? Should cost less than a TB2-Ethernet dongle.

svsf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
I have Thunderbolt to ethernet working now. Both devices have a unique IP address. Wifi to ethernet won't work.

I have plenty of switches at home, I wanted this direct cable connection for a specific purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.