WiFigate...Very slow WiFi on the 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macky Mac, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Macky Mac macrumors member

I have the 4s, actually own 3 of them, and I have had this problem since day one. My device connects to WiFi but only delivers a fraction of the available speed. No matter what I change my router settings, which happens to be an Apple Airport latest generation that was released a few months ago, all 3 devices still only have very slow connections.

My home network runs great...I have 25 meg service and easily get those sppeds (or close to that speed) on any other device I test. I have an ipad2 and my speed usually shows anywhere from 10 - 20+. All 3 iphones usually test between 1 - 4 megs. Sometimes I can get the iphones to over 15, but then it returns to 1 - 4.

I have tried everything I can think of....changed settings, reset settings, moved router, new network, guest network, channels, used N/off N....anyway you get the point.

I have cruised the Apple forums and see many people have the same issue with the 4s.....Curious to see if anyone here might have a suggestion on how to get WiFi working on all 3 devices.

2. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

I don't know! My phone works great on wifi, so it would be nice to know if this is something more widespread.

3. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

wifi-GATE? seriously?...... seriously?????

enough with the gate problems!!!! jesus....

omg my case that fit my iphone 4 doesn't fit my 4s.... CASEGATE!!!

my buttons aren't as clicky as i remember on my 4.... BUTTONGATE!!!

..... not everything is a GATE issue....

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

THANK YOU!!!! Boy who cried wolf and all that as well.

5. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

My iPhone 4S seems much better than my iPhone 4 was on Wi-Fi. I have a 64 Mbit/s connection with a new AirPort Extreme Base Station. When running Speedtest on my old iPhone 4 I was getting around 12 Mbit/s but I've had 25+ Mbit/s with my 4S. I get 60+ Mbit/s on my MacBook Pro (on the 5GHz band). I don't really know what I should be getting on an iPhone but I'm happy with it so far - it's fast! :)

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My desire to talk about Wifi problems is about 100x less powerful than my need to also complain about this fact.

Yes, I agree that all 'gate' threads need to be filled with talk about the word 'gate' rather than responding to the actual technical problem.

7. FilipH macrumors regular

+1 These "gate" problems are getting really annoying lately.

8. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

Im here to tell the OP that making a thread called "WifiGate" is annoying.

Please go to another forum.

9. trouble747 macrumors 6502

I do not have this problem. Although I have had an occasional issue with my phone dropping my home wifi connection and being unable to reconnect without a restart (of the phone).

10. LoveSteve macrumors member

My iPhone 4 has the same problem too .. not limited to 4S

11. Zcott macrumors 68020

Try updating your firmware on your Airport device; firmware 7.6 was released a few days ago.

12. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

hi

you could play with your router settings. Is it set to mixed mode b/g/n or N only? trying changing it see what happens.

is it possible the 3 iphones are interfering with each other? try switching only 1 on at a time.

try changing the channel your router is using (usually 1 -13 ) on pc or mac you can get wifi scanners that show what wifi channel routers around you are using. Try to avoid using the same ones. Have a separation of at least 2 channels between yours and your neighbours.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I don't think this problem is widespread at all. No one I know has this problem either

14. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Thread namer-gate. Attach "gate" to every little issue with iPhone.

How about fingerprint-gate
    Or Dropped Call-gate

15. Macky Mac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to all that actually read and tried to help. I did upgrade and I actually think it got slower. I tried to mess with all the settings...channels and B/G mixed, etc. I did notice that when i messed with the multicast setting it seem to work for 1 day. Not really sure what multicast really does?

I'm going to try stopping all my WiFi connections (Currently have 8 devices on WiFi) and try the suggestion of 1 iphone on WiFi.

16. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Smartphones are like computers- people don't know how to use them.

17. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I blame Nixon.

18. 2IS Suspended

Maybe the phones just don't like your access point? Last thursday I upgraded about a dozen phones to 5.0.1 via wifi. Half of them were 4S the other were 4. The 4S phones did not download the update any slower, if anything it may have been a tick faster.

and yes, wifi"gate" is kind of lame.

19. zodiaque macrumors member

true that

20. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

this is clearly a widespread problem with a massive coverup, just like earbudgate and simtoolgate.

21. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

It's possible the number of devices you have connected is the problem?

Mine is quick, much quicker than the IPhone 4. The Speedtest app has just been updated the other day and it seems to be giving more accurate readings.

[​IMG]

22. Mr.C macrumors 601

People wouldn't be so critical if you hadn't chosen a silly name like Wi-FiGate. This naming of threads with gate at the end of the word is getting out of hand.

23. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Without bashing a certain group of individuals whom there is nothing wrong with, "gate" threads are a 3 letter word that starts with G and ends with Y, and it's not GUY.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No problems on my 4S with Wifi. I have a similar network connection with 25Mbps down, 5mbps up.

[​IMG]

This is using a Motorola SBG650 gateway (a broadband modem with ethernet/WiFi-n router built in).

What model of router do you have? There might be a commonality among those you say are having problems and the type of router they're using. Kind of like when the iPad first came out and they didn't play well with Cisco routers.