Wii Fit....is....simply breathtaking! (quite literally)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by student_trap, Apr 25, 2008.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

Hello all,

Just thought that i'd let you all know that after little thought (wondered about it yesterday!), i picked up wii fit, and have to say that it is simply outstanding.

Out the box, the 'scales' like accessory is seriously well made, very heavy with nice rubber moveable feet which sit steady even on an uneven surface, and of course sinks very easily. Furthermore, once the game itself is on you are given some really useful infomation such as your exact weight and bmi, proving the accessory itself to be very useful even without all the excercises!

The excersises are very special, coming in four catagories: yoga, muscle, aeorbic and balance, which as you may guess range from simple pose based excercise, through more intensive excercise and then more fun mini games aimed at improving balance. all in all, at the moment i am ill and still cant resist having a go at skiing or hula hooping my way through unlocking more excercises/poses etc, and mroeover, wii fit has found the hearts of all of my flat mates too!

Of course, the real test for this game will be longevity, and i can see some things getting annoying, suchnas the repetitive words of encouragement offered by the digital personal trainers, however the game does seemat the moment at least, to offer much in the way of variation and a good difficulty curve. Furthermore, i am impressed at the way that my flatmates and i have, upon returning to the game a few times each, been faced with different tests and challanges picked with our particular strengths and weaknesses in mind, while the trainers, despite being digital and thusly epigrammatically challenged, do provide the support to keep you continuing (although this support of course is only offered once the disc is inserted!).

Overall, in my first day of owning the game i can see how this could really improve my fitness, and moreover, it really is very fun. I can see how it wont float all boats also, and it is very expensive, but for those who are uncertain, i really would give it a go!

PS, please excuse my typing, i am currently using a keyboard that should probably have been thrown years ago!

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Having bought it myself I love it..... It really is great but....

This is just in regards to Yoga,

the Yoga is good but for absolute beginners I must say that it does not give proper counter balanced poses or instruction in the importance of doing so and really if you have never done it before you could end up with an injury.

I've been doing yoga everyday for the last 18 months and have private tuition two times a week in it too. I'm in the gym 7 days a week and use Yoga as my counter balance exercises to all my cardiovascular and weight programmes.

It does not give you proper cooling down or resting poses either which again is not ideal. I can envision people having injury from this.

Good for people who know yoga, dangerous for those that do not.

Also if you are doing any of the Yoga exercises, invest in a Yoga mat it is an essential.

---

Overall I'm impressed with reservations. The cardio stuff seems safe enough though, but the Yoga and some of the muscle exercises are really not for beginners.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not bothering with this until xmas (seems like a good gift idea for non-gamers) but I keep hearing very good things about it. Kinda gets me excited for it but I'm already spent up with Brawl, Kart and Crisis Core coming out :eek:

All that said I've got a multigym and running machine in my house so I don't know if I'll bother with a virtual trainer!

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I live only 50 yards away from my pool & gym, and about .25 km from blue flag beach and the atlantic sea :p

http://www.bannabeachhotel.net/webpilot/banna_beach1.asp?cid=20

I still bought it though, I mainly see it getting used as another party game thing, but only on the simpler cardio activities.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

The only "game" I really want this year and the Europas get it first.... boooo :p

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Mario Kart, then Wii Fit!!! :p That's what you get for getting Brawl first :D

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Grumbles, no such pools around here even though our new town logo appears to be an aerial view of a polo swimming. And our nearest gym isn't so near :(
    But yea I'm sorta hoping a couple of other devs use the board. Theres probably a million creative uses for it.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Hey, I didn't realize this was out in Europe. I haven't gotten to mess around with it since last year's E3, but I loved it back then. So the final product is good then? :)

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

**** yoga:D I want to do push ups and any other manly exercise to show off my big e-penis to all on Nintendo wifi;)

I'm kidding.....I would love to get my hands/feet on this game.....thing.....instead of me doing my normal routine in the morning I'll use wiiFit.

Bless

10. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

Yes this is very true. have myself been doing astanga for a while so i was familiar with the poses, but i could imagine beginners adapting their bodies to do the poses in a way which goes against the aim of yoga itself.

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I picked myself up a Wii Board yesterday afternoon and am really enjoying it. Curiously, when I used to go to the gym I usually worked on strength work rather than aerobic because I hate aerobic exercises, however, with Wii Fit I find myself doing the aerobic exercises more. I'm a big fan of the hula hoop game and am really enjoying the jogging one even though I usually hate running.

I'm hoping I'll use this a bit more than I usually stick to exercises. I prefer being able to exercise on my own and with minimal effort, i.e. the last time I stuck to going to the gym regularly, it was a quiet and empty school gym a few minutes walk from my room.

We'll see how this thing works. I could certainly lose more than a few pounds!!

PS I really hope people work out how to sync this thing with PCs and Macs. It would make it a hell of a lot easier for me to weigh the cat.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

personally i prefer a carnivore program
    ;)

that said nintendo needs to get a good skiing/snowboard game out for the balancing board
    racing down alpine world cup courses would be awesome .. i remember an arcade game from years ago where you could do that

13. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I have a tough decision ahead, what to get first. Its either the "Fit", or "Mario Kart Wii". I'll most likely just say "to hell with it" and get both. How's the skiing game? I saw a youtube vid of the Japan version with it, and it looks awsome.................

14. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I got Wii Fit on Friday, it's fantastic. (Apart from when it told me that I was overweight :mad:)

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I just have to chirp in again :D

Yes yoga and muscle exercises are not for beginners, but I have to say I used it today this morning as my warm up routine before I had to run a TriAthlon. (5km running, 15km cycling, 2km swimming)

Great great great machine / game / fitness thing. I am loving it to bits. Even though I am very very good reaching bodybuilder/pro and yoga master **** on the harder exercise stuff... I'm utter crap on things like the slalom and tightrope walking, though you should see my hulahoop swinging, I put J-Lo to shame....

So anyway with the help of wii this morning..

Today I competed against 100 other people in and came 3rd :) Delighted with my result as the first and second prize people are real fitness pro's (one a ti-quan-do national champion and the other runs marathons regularly) so to have my fitness up with them is great....

Even if my Wii BMI is a bit bullpoop as it doesn't take into account muscle rather than fat (though it still tells me I'm ideal)...

Oh and I think the graphics are great on it too. All the mii games are perfect and the other stuff really suits too.

Yay!!!! :)

16. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

This is another case of Americans getting screwed over by Nintendo.

Mario Kart Wii and now Wii Fit. :mad:

Anywho, I will be getting Wii Fit...but maybe later in the year. I have too much other stuff on my plate right now. And have a regular gym I go too...so, it doesn't suit me yet.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Welcome to how Europe has been treated for over a decade by Nintendo....
    ;)

18. MacAodh macrumors regular

You really got to wonder if this thread is for the wii fit or for people to talk about how fit they are... Most of whom i'm going to assume are telling little tails anyway

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Bless.... a dub just a weeshie bit jealous of a kerryman :p

And as the game is about fitness, surely it stands to reason that those interested in fitness are more likely to be the ones who first snap this up, those that can't give a rats ass about their saggy arses are hardly likely to blow €90 yo-yo's.

20. MacAodh macrumors regular

Anyone able to be that close to Cork and not go mad deserves respect but jealousy... wouldn't go that far :rolleyes:.

True people interested in fitness would buy it but i would suspect most people buying this will be the same people that get a gym membership every January...

But I've a question about it. I've had bad knee problems for last while and I've been going to a physio for the last few weeks. He said that he wanted me to buy a wobble board soon enough but i was wondering if these are anything like them? or are they just completely different?

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL!! Id say there's more chance of stray gunshot from limerick. :p

It's different to a wobble board, they do promote balance and such but they do what the name suggests and actually wobble. The control comes for you balancing it.. The wii fit board is flat and whilst it detects your balance, it doesn't do anything like what a proper wobble board would directly. The stimulation of the muscle would be different.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That being said the balance stuff is very good and the muscle and yoga workouts are very acurate at judging your balance, and so it could be of some use to you, but only maybe in correlation with balance/wobble board that the physio is recommending.

Also they are only about €30 for a wobble board on the net, be wary if your physio is trying to sell you one as they can often charge you OTT for the same thing.

Good luck with it... :)

22. MacAodh macrumors regular

I did see that, the one he's giving me is forty and the fit is seventy five. so if it was more fun might be worth it. Just wondering if the wii balancing thing might do the same deal...

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

The Wii wobble board looks safer, as you are unlikely to fall as a result of using it.

Instead, it uses bio-feedback to keep you on track.

A nice compromise.

24. MacAodh macrumors regular

To tell you the truth, if i got that one i might just use it a little more. It looks quite fun :)

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ But because the wii board doesnt force you to address the issue of balance, after all you can just stand slumped on it, it may not rectify the issue your physio is trying to sort. €40 for the balance board, or €75 for the wii + more visits to the physio = a lot more..