Wii Zapper pack-in game is...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Sky Blue, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Zelda Crossbow Training ??!?!?11

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...es-wii-zapper-pack-in-zelda-crossbow-training

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Haha, what? For a mega cheapo game I'm interested to see this in action.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

That's really, really weird. I mean, why are they packaging a CROSSBOW game with a GUN attachment. Yes, I understand that the mechanics would be the same, but it's a bit incongruous. I get that they wanted something "family" friendly, but it's a gun attachment so anything they do with it is going to end up being for a somewhat older crowd anyways.

There's just so many COOL things they could have done - a remake of Hogan's Alley, a port of an older arcade gun game, etc. Or even a collection of virtual console zapper/superscope/Sega light gun games, all the old 8 and 16 bit light gun games. Ah well... if using the Wii controller like a zapper takes off and there are lots of new/ported shooter games released it'll definitely be something that would get me more inclined to buy one.

5. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Who's to say "Zelda Crossbow Training" will be the only pack-in game? That could actually be just one of several mini-shooter games that will be included to help demo the functionality of the Zapper attachment....

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The Zapper is a plastic shell with the trigger in the wrong place!!! :eek:

<]=)

7. giganten macrumors 6502a

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Have you tried Wii Play? There's a sort of duck hunting game on there....

What we really need is a "First Person" Mega Man game. I think that would totally reinvigorate the Mega Man series. And the Zapper would translate perfectly to his arm cannon/weapon.

9. Sky Blue thread starter Guest

Sky Blue

i'll probably pick this up...$20 for a piece of plastic, woo hoo!

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Alright!

I'd buy it w/o a game...I'm ready to shoot 'em up on RE:UC, MoHL Heros 2 and Ghost Squad(I was playing Time Crisis 4 on the arcade, and wow its rocks!)

11. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i want a Time Crisis game :D

edit:dammit you beat me to it.

12. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I want a new House of the Dead!

And yeah, with Nintendo's press release, it looks like the Link Crossbow game will be the only game included.

13. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I thought I read a quote from Reggie, something along the lines of "the pack-in will appease long time fans". From that I gathered it would be an update of one of the classic NES shooters...Duck Hunt, Hogan's Alley, Gumshoe (Gumshoe was one of my fave NES titles).

So...when they unveiled it as Zelda Crossbow Training...umm, sorry /scratches head/ how exactly, Reggie, does that appease long time fans? Because it's got Link in it? Come on, you can do better than this, guys. :rolleyes:

14. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

At least it's something. A lot more people are going to buy this with a small game included than if it was just the zapper shell...

What I don't get is why it's being released after Umbrella Chronicles when that was supposed to be the first game to support it.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

What's to support? you can already point and shoot in just about every game... sure you don't do it two handed but won't this also cripple the accelerometers in the nun-chuck attachment since it's now connected to the Wiimote through the blaster?

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yeah, I've thought of it a bazillion times. A MegaMan Prime of sorts.

MegaMan Zero has been great on the GBA, but the X series on consoles has faltered.

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I was actually thinking they should do a MegaMan 3rd person shooter... Gears of War style. Not too much of a "It worked for Metroid, let's do it with MegaMan", but something new and interesting for the series.

18. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

You're right, but in my book, it's yet another "pass" on something new that they're trying to release that I have no interest in whatsoever (WiiFit being the first).

I'm the minority I'm sure but some of these ideas...I'll never stop scratching my head over. Seriously, how many peripherals will the Wii end up with before all's said and done? And what does history show about peripherals and console add-ons that aren't free or included with the original system purchase? Zapper, steering wheel, Classic controller, WiiFit...and then 3rd party shells that include a tennis racket, baseball bat, and golf club?? What's next...a frying pan? Spatula? Fly swatter? Ginormous paint brush?

I just don't get it with some of this stuff. :confused: :rolleyes: (WiiFit especially.) There's no question in my mind that, with all due respect - Nintendo isn't speaking to "me" in my gamer world at the moment; I'm being overlooked in favor of the 'traditional non-gamer', who cares about the lifelong gamer, the "hardcore gamer" anymore. :confused:

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That'd be even better; first person probably wouldn't adapt longtime MegaMan X staples like wall-jumping :)

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

As a long time fan I'll be pleased if they have memorable enemies from the series and remixes or arrangements of previous Zelda tunes.

I'd take that over Duck Hunt any day.

A new Duck Hunt is coming out on WiiWare. shrugs

21. pcypert macrumors 6502

Depending on how deep the game is I'm happier for a Zelda shooter than a duck hunt.

Here in Thailand they do have "frying pan" and "spatula" mods from Japan...cooking Mama accessories to snap your Wiimote into....seriously.

There's actually more than one game for this peripheral that I'm interested in and at 20 bucks I don't mind this one. If Wii fit is 80+ and then Guitar Hero....then I'm starting to get light in the pocket and will have to pick them up slower...but there's one that counters you...Guitar Hero peripherals and games are doing really well...

Paul

22. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I think Guitar Hero has done well because you get the guitar with the game for $20 more which is a steal IMO. DDR mats have sorta fallen by the wayside but those were popular for awhile as well.

Otherwise, peripherals just have never done well as far as I can remember. The Zapper came with the NES and the Master System came with it's own gun but otherwise, other systems with light guns didn't fare so well (Super Scope 6 on the SNES and the Menacer on the Genesis). Many of the Namco titles came with the Guncon on the PSX so (again) as a pack-in it did good.

Some of the older systems just had peripherals all over the place. NES with the Power Glove (I owned one) and the U-Force, Genesis had the Activator...then you can really expand it to talk about the non-controller based add-ons like the Genesis' SegaCD (owned one) and 32X and even stuff like the N64DD.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thing is, as far as we can tell the Zapper isn't necessary. You can still play with the Wii remote on its bill if you want to. It doesn't add functionality like dance mats or instrument controllers - it's just a method to way to hold the Wii remote like a gun.

24. Agilus macrumors regular

Technically, dance mats aren't necessary, either. You can just push the corresponding buttons on a normal controller. (yes, I know I'm being a punk) :)

25. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

As I had mentioned... it also seems like it cripples the nun-chuck. With the Wiimote and nun-chuck tethered together how would you use any of the nun-chuck motion sensing capability?