Wild speculation - site revamp, liquid metal, is there a link?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m1chael, Jan 26, 2011.

1. m1chael macrumors newbie

Earlier today, many of us noticed or read that Apple revamped its web site and updated the navigation bar with a newer, darker, glossier sheen. I've been randomly wondering about it for much of the day today, and I started to speculate. The "conclusion" I reached (again, pure speculation) is this: what if Apple pre-emptively changed the color of the nav bar so that it would better reflect their upcoming products?

What I mean is this: last year, Apple's decision to license liquid metal technology made a pretty big splash in the tech blogosphere. It's probably not too crazy to think that Apple could begin incorporating this new technology into its products as early as the upcoming refresh. If that were the case, then perhaps new Macs using the new liquid metal material will be darker in color. I've always secretly wished the MBP was just a little bit of a darker shade, something closer to "gunmetal gray," but not too dark. I don't think it's beyond possibility, really; when Apple made the transition to the unibody MBP, they got slightly darker. Could this upcoming refresh usher in the newer, slightly darker MBP I've been wanting for years?

Moreover, this kind of site-to-product symmetry isn't completely unheard of for Apple. Remember when Apple still sold the black MacBook? When a user went to purchase one, the "Select" button in the store was black for the black MacBook, and white for the white one. Apple still employs this tactic when they sell the colored iPods. So, obviously Apple cares about these little details to some extent.

I know it may seem like I'm reaching pretty far, but there's just something about the fact that they changed the color of that nav bar that piques my interest. Thoughts?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

OMG isn't the thread that first announced this already speculating about this? Apple finally got all of their products to look the same with the aluminum. What makes you think they would change now?

Heres the thread to throw your speculation into. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1086096

3. Mangos86 macrumors member

I would think there definitely is a link, and hopefully that is the case because a darker mbp would look awesome, as well as a possible all black version. And who really cares if there was a thread started about this before, are you hosting the site? Is there some forum size limit we are closely approaching? Does it inconvenience you that much for people to post things again. I think you, like everyone else has the ability to overlook threads they don't care to see.

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

There are other threads

That don't mention this at all.

What? It's true.

5. Hornzog macrumors member

I feel this link could potentially be strong enough to deserve it's own thread. Why else would Apple change the colour? I'm willing to bet it wasn't because they 'fancied a change'.

As for the likelihood of them using LiquidMetal in the upcoming refresh a few things to think about: What sort of engineering processes would have to be undergone in order to switch production? Is it too soon after the unibody design to be changing everything? Or is a design update due?

Go forth and speculate

6. CopperX macrumors member

My guess: They'll switch to dark aluminum, in that way they don't have to change their current process. They will do this to better match OS X Lion.

After a year, we'll se Liquid Metal MBPs, once they get that manufacturing process ready.