Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Come on Apple filling/syncing 256 and 512 GB models with USB 2 speeds would be insulting your loyal buyers.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Who still plugs up to sync with iTunes?

Intersting. I actually did just this a week ago (after about 3 years of not doing it) as I was having trouble with the lack of a file system (and the cloud was no help).

Apparently, this may not be such an issue moving forward (we shall see)

Reactions: centauratlas

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
What a load of crap. So buying 512 GB of iPad is out of question.
If you want to transfer 450 GB mp4 movies/tv shows to it through itunes, the sync will take

450 GB x 1024 MB / 30 (MBPS USB 2.0 transfer speed per sec) = 15360 sec

15360 sec / 3600 sec (1 hr) = 4.26 hrs or (4hrs and 10 mins) best case scenario.
If your files are mp3 and tiny, expect the sync time to double.

This is madness!

How do you expect to fill up 512 GB storage? Do you expect everyone to keep filming random stuff in 4k even when it is not needed? Not everyone has Unlimited 4G data or fast home broadband to keep syncing through cloud or downloading episodes.

This one seems to be Apple’s way of deliberately holding features back only to announce them at a later date with great pomp.

Last edited:
Reactions: the future

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
If you want to transfer 450 GB mp4 movies/tv shows to it through itunes, the sync will take

15360 sec / 3600 sec (1 hr) = 4.26 hrs or (4hrs and 10 mins) best case scenario.

This is madness!

How do you expect to fill up 512 GB storage? Do you expect everyone to keep filming random stuff in 4k even when it is not needed? Not everyone has Unlimited 4G data or fast home broadband to keep syncing through cloud or downloading episodes.

This one seems to be Apple’s way of deliberately holding features back only to announce them at a later date with great pomp.

why are you using usb2 speed? The new ipads are usb3

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
I'm thinking we will see sync at this speed: these things being now so powerful and spacious. The capability is in place, so there's no reason I can see (limited as my info is), why they should not implement this in a variety of ways.

Just because it wasn't highlighted at the presentation, doesn't mean it's a no-go. After all, they had a lot to cover.

Reactions: ABC5S

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013

This is madness!

I actually have filled up 200gb in plex movies. That's wireless syncing though.

Reactions: rui no onna

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
why are you using usb2 speed? The new ipads are usb3
2015 12.9” iPad Pro syncs at USB 2 speed even if you use Apple USB-C to Lightning cable connected to PC’s USB-C port. Everyone was expecting USB 3 speeds but Apple has not shown a cable which will transfer at that rate.

We will have clear picture in a few days.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
And I'd like to add that wireless AC is pretty fast for Apple to be holding back features.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
And I'd like to add that wireless AC is pretty fast for Apple to be holding back features.
I have tested and with my iPad kept 1 feet away from ASUS RT-AC88U router and connected at 866 Mbps speed, the actual transfer speed was between 20-25 MBps which was still slower than USB 2’s 30 MBps

I guess you have not compared usb 2 and wifi speeds.

Reactions: upandown

appleman1988

Suspended
May 22, 2017
I'm a big advocate of the 29w adapter. Changed my game completely. I love it. Also faster data speeds are nice. I have the 1st gen 12.9. Wish I could have got 512GB, I got the 256GB.
[doublepost=1497147273][/doublepost]

I do certainly. I have songs I've ripped from my CDs that I want, as well as movies and tv shows from other sources. I also have iTunes purchased music. Not an Apple Music user. I have Google Play Music as a part of YouTube Red. But honestly I tend to just use the YouTube app if not listening to my own music in iTunes or the music app. I tend to buy CD's from albums I like, singles from iTunes, and the occasional stream. I still like having physical media for the stuff I love.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
I'm a big advocate of the 29w adapter. Changed my game completely. I love it. Also faster data speeds are nice. I have the 1st gen 12.9. Wish I could have got 512GB, I got the 256GB.
[doublepost=1497147273][/doublepost]

I do certainly. I have songs I've ripped from my CDs that I want, as well as movies and tv shows from other sources. I also have iTunes purchased music. Not an Apple Music user. I have Google Play Music as a part of YouTube Red. But honestly I tend to just use the YouTube app if not listening to my own music in iTunes or the music app. I tend to buy CD's from albums I like, singles from iTunes, and the occasional stream. I still like having physical media for the stuff I love.

I have 200gb of media I sync from plex, wirelessly. Maybe plex just makes it easy on me?
[doublepost=1497157422][/doublepost]
I have tested and with my iPad kept 1 feet away from ASUS RT-AC88U router and connected at 866 Mbps speed, the actual transfer speed was between 20-25 MBps which was still slower than USB 2’s 30 MBps

I guess you have not compared usb 2 and wifi speeds.
There is a such thing as being too close.

Tried changing channels?

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
I have 200gb of media I sync from plex, wirelessly. Maybe plex just makes it easy on me?
[doublepost=1497157422][/doublepost]
There is a such thing as being too close.

Tried changing channels?
Tried everything. 1 feet, 10 feet, 20 feet and even changed router. But speeds are consistently horrible on wireless. I rather sync at USB 2 speeds than do it over wifi.

Wireless is not a reliable tech to transfer big files at high speed. Period!

Reactions: crf8

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Tried everything. 1 feet, 10 feet, 20 feet and even changed router. But speeds are consistently horrible on wireless. I rather sync at USB 2 speeds than do it over wifi.

Wireless is not a reliable tech to transfer big files at high speed. Period!

I haven't done any scientific research but I would agree with his findings. I transfer large movie files from my '12 retina Mac to my 9.7 Pro and it's ridiculously painfully slow over USB through iTunes. Try using wireless transfer? HA. Forget about it!

Edit: In fact, can anyone else confirm usb transfers have gotten slower through iTunes after one of the recent updates?? I just know it's been taking a lot longer....

Reactions: d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
I haven't done any scientific research but I would agree with his findings. I transfer large movie files from my '12 retina Mac to my 9.7 Pro and it's ridiculously painfully slow over USB through iTunes. Try using wireless transfer? HA. Forget about it!

Edit: In fact, can anyone else confirm usb transfers have gotten slower through iTunes after one of the recent updates?? I just know it's been taking a lot longer....
Yes they have.
Firstly Apple blocked 2-way syncing updated apps from iDevice to PC. But you can transfer apps from PC to iDevice. The transfer speed is painfully slow 20-25 Mbps even on USB 2 specs. If one of the app installed on iDevice gets an update on App Store, it will download the app 2 times. 1s time, it will download the delta update. The update progress circle will reset to start and then download the full app again to your device.

So at one hand, Apple wants us to go fully cloud and stop using itunes to sync our apps and multimedia by limiting transfer speed. But on the other hand, they want to upsell their highest tier 512 GB iPads which we won't be able to fill fast because of USB 2 port speed restrictions.

WTF Apple? It's truly baffling how tech sites are giving a pass at Apple for this.
This truly is the biggest bollocks to come out of Apple.

Reactions: Craiguyver

lesserpanda

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Apple is ridiculous in keeping the port at USB 2 speed. I will hold off this time until next year version. Anyway, I am happy with my Air2 at the moment

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
If we don't get USB 3 sync speed now, what makes you think we'll get it next year? Apparently this is something Apple just doesn't want to implement.

Reactions: Craiguyver

lesserpanda

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
At some point in time, they will just have to do it. May not be next year... Anyway, I am not in a hurry to replace my iPad yet.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
IMG_2084.PNG
Is everyone purely upset at s

This is madness!

For movies I don't 'sync' through iTunes. I just download straight from my purchased videos in iTunes via wi-if. Is this what you are referencing?

I do have 250mbps service and I know not everyone has that convenience.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Yes they have.
Firstly Apple blocked 2-way syncing updated apps from iDevice to PC. But you can transfer apps from PC to iDevice. The transfer speed is painfully slow 20-25 Mbps even on USB 2 specs. If one of the app installed on iDevice gets an update on App Store, it will download the app 2 times. 1s time, it will download the delta update. The update progress circle will reset to start and then download the full app again to your device.

So at one hand, Apple wants us to go fully cloud and stop using itunes to sync our apps and multimedia by limiting transfer speed. But on the other hand, they want to upsell their highest tier 512 GB iPads which we won't be able to fill fast because of USB 2 port speed restrictions.

WTF Apple? It's truly baffling how tech sites are giving a pass at Apple for this.
This truly is the biggest bollocks to come out of Apple.

Will ARS and other tech sites investigate and write about this in the weeks ahead?

I hope so.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Do you need to use the included lightning cable for these speeds or any recent lightning cable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.