Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
This right here is a pure apologetic reply.
If Apple can't implement 5 yr old USB 3 technology over lightning, then it is high time they dump their proprietary lightning port. They should go for something universal and spec compliant like USB-C port on their mobiles and tablets.

You're talking like a reasonable man. But Apple does what Apple wants.

And they'd rather make $$$ off the Lightning port.

Actually, I like the Lightning port because it's more sturdy. I don't like the USB2 speeds though.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Why is it the lightning port if lightning accessories can support USB 3 speeds?

That said, I can't believe it's software related otherwise they would have done it by now - though it could just be their way of pushing users to iCloud lol.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
Why is it the lightning port if lightning accessories can support USB 3 speeds?

That said, I can't believe it's software related otherwise they would have done it by now - though it could just be their way of pushing users to iCloud lol.
If they want to push people towards iCloud, why the hell do they introduce 512 GB iPad?
Don't you think it's contradictory?

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If they want to push people towards iCloud, why the hell do they introduce 512 GB iPad?
Don't you think it's contradictory?

Only if you think so.

We all know that Apple wants to promote the iPad as a PC/laptop replacement not to mention more space for the Pro users doing photo or graphics editing, etc.

Giving it more storage fits all these use scenarios.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
This right here is a pure apologetic reply.
If Apple can't implement 5 yr old USB 3 technology over lightning, then it is high time they dump their proprietary lightning port. They should go for something universal and spec compliant like USB-C port on their mobiles and tablets.

I am not trying to be apologetic here; I do agree with what's being said here but I too am curious about this Lightning port, it seems like one heck of a black box here!

Reactions: rui no onna

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 9, 2016
I am not trying to be apologetic here; I do agree with what's being said here but I too am curious about this Lightning port, it seems like one heck of a black box here!
Ok then.
But it is clear that:
iPad Pro 10.5” and 12.9” have USB 3 chip but there is no cable to take advantage of increased speeds of USB 3 (5-10 Gbps). The maximum speed Apple’s USB-C to lightning cable negotiates at is 480 Mbps according to macOS system report. That speed is strictly USB 2.

Whether Apple will eventually sell such cable or continue giving us the middle finger... we don’t know.
With current speeds, a 512 GB iPad will take 3-4 hrs to fill up with mixed data consisting mp3 and mp4 files.

This topic is not about wifi syncing or downloading all 512 GB data via cloud using unmetered internet connection. But people love giving non practical solutions and go offtopic.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
Ok then.
But it is clear that:
iPad Pro 10.5” and 12.9” have USB 3 chip but there is no cable to take advantage of increased speeds of USB 3 (5-10 Gbps). The maximum speed Apple’s USB-C to lightning cable negotiates at is 480 Mbps according to macOS system report. That speed is strictly USB 2.

Whether Apple will eventually sell such cable or continue giving us the middle finger... we don’t know.
With current speeds, a 512 GB iPad will take 3-4 hrs to fill up with mixed data consisting mp3 and mp4 files.

This topic is not about wifi syncing or downloading all 512 GB data via cloud using unmetered internet connection. But people love giving non practical solutions and go offtopic.

This I do agree; if there is indeed such a chip in these iPad Pros, I am finding it strange that its potential is not being used at all.

How do you know if this chip exists though?

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
The problem is that Apple apparently see connecting an iPad to a computer using a cable as a legacy use case. Therefore they are not interested in enhancing it to USB3 speeds.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
If it's the cable, what's to prevent third party vendors from building and selling one that supports USB 3? Apple is not the only maker.

Reactions: aypues

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
Isnt there a way to connect to ethernet now? Will that work at higher speeds? I think the apple accessory only supports usb2 but not sure if there is a work around With a different manufacturer's accessory.

Also, has someone actually contacted Apple to see if there is a way to sync with usb3 speeds? Or do they just limit it to the camera adapter and sd card reader? What about just putting your files on a sd card to go on the iPad pro?

Last edited:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
I think the apple accessory only supports usb2 but not sure if there is a work around With a different manufacturer's accessory.
Other brands are not authorized to make lightning/usb 3 accessories. Apple forbids this. If the do, they loose the MFI certification. That's why any good brand like anker didn't provide cables/accessories.

What about just putting your files on a sd card to go on the iPad pro?
This would not work. Sd cards/usb drives only work with photos, within the "Photo" app, and the UI is atrocious, you have to wait for each photo to appear one by one select photos for importing, again, one by one. Basically, It's one thousand times faster to import the pictures to my Mac and Airdrop them, including Raw files. For Other files, like PDFs, it just doesn't work

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
This is the same issue that us first gen iPP 12.9 users discuss since 2015. The first gen also had USB 3 and was not able to use it because of a missing USB 3 cable...

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010

The link you provided only has usb 2 lightning accessories. No USB-C or USB3. And the reason for that is that Apple forbids this. As for the "why"...I don't have an answer. They might want to be the only one selling fast charging lightning cables, or lightning to usb 3 accessories, for profit reasons. Or because they don't really trust their own implementation.

Last edited:

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
If I understand correctly, it is faster (depending on internet connection) to download / sync via WIFI, than it is to connect the new iPads to the Mac due to no USB 3 host support?
it depends. My mac has an AC wifi chip, so what I usually do is creating a big folder with the things I want to send to the iPad, zip it and send it via airdrop. It's a direct connection that does not pass throughout the router. And it's very fast for being wireless. Faster than USB2, in theory. I didn't do speed tests, but I'm pretty confident it's faster than syncing via itunes, cable or wireless.
Of course, if one of your devices is limited to WIFI N, then it's going to be much slower.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
If I understand correctly, it is faster (depending on internet connection) to download / sync via WIFI, than it is to connect the new iPads to the Mac due to no USB 3 host support?

Actually no. For me.. I transfer large movie files from my macbook pro (in iTunes) to my iPad. Wifi is by far slower than using USB 2 through itunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.