Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

culverh0use

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Was thinking about ordering a 12W charger for my iPhone 6 Plus since it will have a bigger battery and likely take longer to charger. I know the bottleneck is usually in the phone at 5W but was wondering if anyone thinks Apple will increase this for the Plus.

3DTV

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
So will the new iphone have the same watt charger as my iPad Air??
I know the 5s didn't ....

culverh0use

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
From what I've been able to find the 12W charger didn't enable any previous iPhones to charge any faster, as they only drew 5W from any charger. So I was wondering if this had changed with the Plus and its larger battery.

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
I thought charging was limited by the device, so it's unlikely that using an iPad charger with a 5S, for example, would give any improvement over using a 5W phone charger.

----------

From what I've been able to find the 12W charger didn't enable any previous iPhones to charge any faster, as they only drew 5W from any charger. So I was wondering if this had changed with the Plus and its larger battery.

Yes, I'm interested too. I guess we'll find out in a while!

chiawen.yang

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Austin, Texas
12w is greater than 5 watts... Filling a bucket twice as fast. Power = volts x current

Besides, many people out there have and notice it themselves and see real world charging speed.

Unless Apple put a power regulator in the iPhone to cap it at 5 watts (more space/hardware). If you blow up the device by providing too much power = your fault since the manual said a recommended apple charger. Catch 22, but a 12watt apple charger is apple certified.:)

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

I feel like the 10w iPad brick I have does charge my 5s faster then the included 5w brick. I think the iPhone can actually charge at a higher rate then 5w just fine, it's just Apple didn't include a better brick.

culverh0use

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
If it will actually charger faster, which in most places I've read that it won't with previous iPhones, I'd gladly pay $19 for the 12W adapter.

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
12w is greater than 5 watts... Filling a bucket twice as fast. Power = volts x current

Besides, many people out there have and notice it themselves and see real world charging speed.

Unless Apple put a power regulator in the iPhone to cap it at 5 watts (more space/hardware). If you blow up the device by providing too much power = your fault since the manual said a recommended apple charger. Catch 22, but a 12watt apple charger is apple certified.:)

Modern smart charging doesn't work like that. The device being charged sets the current. Hence no difference between 12W and 5W charger for 5s charging, for example.

Reactions: synergize

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
W = V x I
W = I2 x R
W = V2 / R

I = W / V
I = (W / R)2

V = (W x R)2
V = W / I

R = V2 / W
R = W / I2

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Modern smart charging doesn't work like that. The device being charged sets the current. Hence no difference between 12W and 5W charger for 5s charging, for example.

Well all my iPhones since the 4 have charged faster on a 10w brick versus the included 5w. I'm not the only one who has noticed this either. All my family members with iPhones use 10w bricks and they all tell me it's much faster then the 5w.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
What are you basing this on?

They are not basing it on anything concrete, besides maybe a perceived notion of it charging faster. I've read the exact same things you are posting in this thread. And I too am wondering if the iPhone 6 will be capped at 5W internally.

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
Well all my iPhones since the 4 have charged faster on a 10w brick versus the included 5w. I'm not the only one who has noticed this either. All my family members with iPhones use 10w bricks and they all tell me it's much faster then the 5w.

I suspect that you haven't actually tested this. The evidence is that there is no difference, and that your perception is flawed. Sorry.

----------

My question is does using a 10 or 12w brick cause any harm to your iPhone?

Nope. It'll charge your phone exactly the same as the 5W adapter. :)

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
My question is does using a 10 or 12w brick cause any harm to your iPhone?

Absolutely not. You could have a power brick that was capable of a million watts at five volts and the phone would still only draw five watts. Zero problems whatsoever.

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013

FWIW I used to think this too, then I went and read up. Once I timed it, and there's no difference. There must be something about the idea of that fat 12W brick making us think of course it'll charge faster. What's the word for this, confirmation bias?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
also, my 10w brick charges my iPhone 5 faster than my 5w brick at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.