Will 1st Gen iPhone Bluetooth headset work on the 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by youtube, Jul 1, 2009.

1. youtube macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a sealed First Gen iPhone 2G Bluetooth headset with charging dock. Just wondering if this is compatible with the 3GS? Thanks in advance. :)

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Yes, I don't see why not. A2DP profile is a neat if your BT headset has it.

3. youtube thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, I don't think the 1st gen iphone/bluetooth head set support A2DP :(

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Oh I'm sorry I thought you were referring to a regular BT headset that could make calls and such. Yeah there has to be A2DP before you could listen music via BT on your BT Headset

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The headset will work fine with the 3GS, although the dock will not fit. You can use the travel dock to pair, then use it alone to charge the headset.

I'm using this setup with my 3GS. The 3GS sits in a 3G dock, and I keep the travel dock stuck under the edge of my table for the headset (it hides the cable). I do need two USB chargers, though. I have the Belkin 3 outlet / USB charger adapter, which has 2 ports. It saves an outlet (and a USB charger).

btw: the audio quality is improved on the 3GS. I think it's an overall Bluetooth improvement, though, and not something specific to the Apple headset (the audio in my car's integrated Bluetooth "uConnect" system has also noticeably improved).

6. youtube thread starter macrumors newbie

gr8fly, just wanted to confirm that it is indeed the "First Gen Bluetooth headset which Apple made for the iPhone 2G Correct? Reason being is that I have a sealed on still and reluctant to open it incase it won't work. Again, just wanted to make sure b4 I open it up :)

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yep. They only made one, anyway, but started selling them w/o the dock later on. The one I have is the original headset & dock set, and I was using it on my 2G - now, on my 3GS. Just remember the 3GS will not fit the dock which came with the headset.

8. youtube thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx so much for verifying that for me :) It's a shame that the dock which came with the bluetooth headset only fits the 2G iPhone. I wasn't aware that the bluetooth headset was indeed the same BT headset Apple sold without the dock in the individual packaging. 1 last question if you don't mind. Are you happy with the quality of it? and you mentioned that you have to upgrade the firmware on the BT headset as well?

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I was pretty happy with the quality on the 2G, though I knew others were a bit better. The integration with the iPhone and the dual-dock were part of the reason I went for it - also, its size and design. With the 3GS, the quality is noticeably improved.

There's no firmware update for the headset. I think the quality improvement is because of the hardware/firmware in the new 3GS (as I mentioned earlier, my other Bluetooth device has improved too).