Will 2.1 be a free upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pain, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Pain macrumors regular

I certainly hope so, otherwise I'm not paying. 2.0 comes out on July 11th, and they expect us to pay another $10? Heck no.

2. kabunaru Guest

If Apple does want money for 2.1 update (iPod Touch version), then people are not going to buy iPod Touches anymore.

3. muldul macrumors 6502

No it wont be for those who bought the 2.0 update, as it is just fixing issues and not adding lots of new features (apps store)

4. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

No, they won't charge. Let's take a look at some current new features in 2.1:
    • Push notification
    • Possible copy/paste

So many money-worthy, groundbreaking new features!! :rolleyes:

Unless they add new applications (which will probably be done through the App Store for existing owners now) and lots of more new features in the final version, it won't happen.

Ace:apple:

Edit: Another thing, if they charged for 2 updates within 2-3 months (with the 2nd update not having many new features), they'd be shooting themselves in the feet.

5. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

If Apple thinks they can get people to pay for the update then they probably will charge for it. Question is do they think they can get people to pay?

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Usually, a .1 update is a free update that fixes a few missed things.:apple:

7. mekopolis macrumors regular

wasn't 1.2 to 1.3 (the january software update) a charge? but there was a free bug fix only version, and 1.4 was free

mek thinks it will be free

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Updating to 1.3 was free. If you wanted the additional apps (email, map, etc.), you had to pay.

9. na1577 macrumors 6502a

There was never a 1.3, or a 1.4 update. There was 1.1.3, and 1.1.4.

2.1 is an abbreviation for 2.1.0. Just like in math, the zero isn't necessary if it is in the last place of a decimal. (A rumored separate update -- 2.0.1 -- would probably just fix bugs, and would be free)

2.0 was the new version of the entire OS, even though many of the features aren't noticeable. It is similar to an OS X upgrade or a Windows service pack, which is why Apple charged for it. The 1.1.3/1.1.4 software update is like buying new applications for your computer, which is why Apple charged for that update.

Apple probably won't charge for 2.1, but if they do, there will be some very angry iPod touch users. I didn't pay for the software upgrade -- I downloaded them on my jailbroken touch. When 2.0 came out, I downloaded for free rather than downloading it from Apple. If Apple charges for every single update, it is bad for their image, and it is very likely that it will hurt sales. I would probably continue to steal the updates from another place, or get rid of my touch altogether and go back to my 5G iPod. I wouldn't worry about having to pay for every update, but it is likely that we will have to pay for some in the future.

10. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

After January software update, and then wanting me to pay twice as much when I already had half the features in 2.0, I will not be purchasing any more software updates.

I'll get them other ways, just like I did with 2.0

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I just bought my 16GB Touch a week ago brand new and I had no problems whatsoever paying for the 2.0 upgrade. For me the App Store compatibility alone was worth the price of admission. For me the Touch is now truly the iPhone without the phone I was seeking. The update was only $9.95 for crying out loud!!

2.1 will not be a paid update. I doubt very much there will be any more for-pay updates until 3.0 rolls around (or 2.5 at the very least).

On a related note I have to marvel at all the open, honest and self-righteous pirates there are in here.

12. qacjared macrumors regular

2.1 or what ever it will end up being(remember 2.0 was 1.2) adds new features and "any new features must have a cost attached to them as supposedly required by law (Sarbanes-Oxley Act)."

The iPhone is still on a subscription accounting model while iPod Touches are not. Nothing different here. So why this will be free boggles my mind. Well unless it is released free on a second generation touch with a paid upgrade for existing touches.

13. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

What the 2.1 update will add or when it will be released remains completely to be seen at this point.

If it does add features and Apple is required by law to make a charge for it I suppose that is even more reason for those whining about it to direct their aggressions elsewhere than Steve Jobs.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, the 2.1 update supposedly won't add new features, just fix some bugs and make existing features easier to use. Yeah, there's some leeway in defining whether something is a "new" feature or just a "tweak" of an existing feature. But say, for instance, Apple's legal department decides that "copy and paste" is a new feature and they couldn't get away with defining that as an improvement to an existing feature. I think in that case Apple would leave that out of the 2.1 update rather than charge so soon for another software update. Otherwise they'd have a large-scale customer rebellion on their hands.

15. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

We build software where we work and we have to take these exact considerations into account. Updates are free to customer, upgrades are purchased by the customer.

16. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

If that's the case I would say these "software updates" are a little illegitimate for purchase. They either need to rebrand them as an upgrade or stop charging.

Upgrades (adding new features) > check for upgrades button

Updates (security, etc) > check for updates button (free)

17. rajalot macrumors member

rajalot

MS doesn't charge for service packs.

18. na1577 macrumors 6502a

My mistake, I worded that wrong. I know Microsoft doesn't charge for service packs.

19. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Anything that is 2.x.x will be free for anyone who has updated to 2.0. That's just how updates work.

It's still version 2, so nothing monumental will be added until a version 3.

When 3.x rolls around, we'll see.

20. punkkid219 macrumors newbie

punkkid219

As far as I know 2.1 is will be free. I heard they seeded 2.1 to devs to try out.

All 2.1 has is bug fixes(but thank the lord thats coming)

21. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

They can still add or improve default apps within a whole number. They charged us for 1.1.4, even though they didn't for 1.1.5 or any earlier 1.?.? version. It all depends on how greedy Jobs feels at the moment. I get the feeling that he despises Touch owners for not buying the highly profitable iPhone instead.

22. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

If it has big features like copy/paste and something else... cough.. cough.. it'll most likely be!:(

Or maybe Apple has finally managed that 'accounting; thing and they'll all be free:eek:

23. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Apple has never charged for a firmware update for the iPod Touch before 2.0. They really should have branded it as an upgrade to the next version, like software, rather than position itself as a firmware update.

24. thebeesknees macrumors regular

I dunno bout you guys, but I'd certainly pay five dollars to have no crashes, maybe a better home screen rearranging interface, and copy-paste.

25. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

$19.95 for 1.1.4, $9.95 for 2.0. Of course you can claim those fees were optional and deniable, but to gain the benefit of each update you had to pay the fee, whereas iPhone owners did not.

If you claim you got your Touch with 1.1.4 on it, then you still paid for the update as you could also have bought a Touch for less without it.