Will 3.0 kill Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Governor, Mar 17, 2009.

1. The Governor macrumors regular

I know it isn't out yet. But if everything mentioned thus far is true.....would 3.0 bring an end to jailbreaking?

While the list why most/some jailbreak can be very long and there is always going to be a market for jailbreaking (probably), would it be correct to say that the most common ones are: copy/paste (clippy), mms (swirly mms), landscape sms/email (don't remember) and themes?

All except for the last one seem to be resolved right? So it seems like this could be the end of jailbreaking or rather greatly reduce the number of people who do.

I should also mention, that I am not against jailbreaking at all and did enjoy while I was jailbroken myself. I was jailbroken for while and never re-jailbroke once 2.2.1 came out. No specific reason really, just didn't want to I guess.

2. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

3. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

Tethering was definitely my number one choice, I'm not jailbroken anymore, but doesn't pdanet charge you now?

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Tethering is a big one for me as well. PDANet is $29 and worth every penny. There are ways to get PDANet for free but I don't believe that allows you to use the latest and greatest version of the program as it's updated.

5. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

tethering is huge imo....as long as we can unlock 3.0 still!

6. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I love PdaNet. I just simply need to be Jailbroken :p

But the Dev Team will bring out a Jailbreak. Software doesn't stop them, hardware does.

7. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

- Intelliscreen
    - irealquicksms
    - SBSettings
    - SSH to change SMS tones, etc.

8. FlintAlt2 macrumors regular

Just got announced in the Q&A that tethering is supported in 3.0!

9. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

People will always find ways and reasons to jailbreak. I can think of a few myself but I will not jailbreak as the features apple gives us at the moment are ok as it is.

10. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Well a lot of jailbreak's "features" are now included in the 3.0 software but I think jailbreaking will go on and find new things that people might want as well as old favorites such as theming and tethering.

11. GCmini macrumors member

GCmini

im un jailbreaking for 3.0!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOO

12. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with you for the most part, there will probably always be a market for any of the shortcomings the iphone lacks. As many have said, there are many reasons to jailbreak, but they all seem "extra" and not really the most important feature to jailbreak for.

Seems like apple is gaining ground on jailbreak apps

13. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Dude it's not going to be out until June.

14. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

:rolleyes:

anyway, we will know in a few hours as the devs get their hands on the beta. I have access to it but to be honest I won't try it on my only iPhone :(

15. GCmini macrumors member

GCmini

i know its not coming out till june but once its out im done with jailbreaking. unless jailbreaking has something else to offer. which now that 3.0 is coming out it really doesnt have much other than SB settings and winterboard. but eh that just makes it more laggy

16. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Lots of feature updates and finallys and some nice newness, but there'll still be plenty of reasons to jailbreak. I don't see that going away.

Of course, it will break the jailbreak, but they'll just crack it open again and loopty-loo.

17. FlintAlt2 macrumors regular

Tethering has been anounced.. only left with Theming.

18. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

What about video? There was no mention of it. This was what I was waiting and hoping for. Streaming video and the ability to record...maybe it will still be a future announcement though...especially if the hardware is updated (which sounds like it will be from the "no comment" approach taken to the question).

19. bigmouth macrumors 6502

No -- SB Settings, backgrounder, and notification tweaks will continue to drive me to jailbreak.

20. The Governor thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, but is....

theming a solid reason to jailbreak? even though it is neat and everything.

Of course there are still many reasons to jailbreak, my point is that it seems like the more important or better functional ones, previously only made possible through jailbreaking would now be available in 3.0

I never heard someone say that they weren't getting an iphone because they couldn't theme or change the sms bubbles. However I have heard of people saying they weren't getting one because it lacked mms and copy and paste.

21. psywzrd macrumors 68030

They may have announced tethering but that's going to require some type of plan with your carrier (PDANet does not).

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There will ALWAYS be a community of people who want to do whatever they can to there devices. Homebrew was never about overcoming limitations but more about just seeing what you can do with some creativity.

Jailbreaking will never die, it may shrink but the community will always be there.

23. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

the main reason i jailbreak is for customizing like through winterboard. i'll keep doing that until the day Apple allows me to do it through them. oh, and LastFM running in the background and updating songs real-time.

it will be nice having 3.0 so i won't have to use BiteSMS for edit/forward/landscape, can MMS legit, copy/paste legit, and use bluetooth for A2DP. shame my 1st gen doesn't support some of those features so i'll have to upgrade to the 3rd gen whenever those come out.

24. y0m0uth macrumors regular

bah i still want to use to iphone on t-mobile so am always going to jailbreak...