will 3g cost more then the edge service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenbreadmmm, Apr 1, 2008.

1. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

or will the edge service go down in price once 3g comes out? because if they cost the same, that would be ridiculous

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Why would it be ridiculous for them to cost the same? If anything you want the prices to be the same, I mean if you want an iPhone with 3G when it comes out you have to buy a new phone and most likely will be "forced" to extend your contract for 2 more years. A good way of selling more iPhones would be to keep the same unlimited data rates.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Seems likely that there'd be some price increase for 3G, even if only $5, though I'd bet $10.

Would also make it a bit more exclusive.

It'd be terrific if it didn't go up, of course.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was under the impression that, right now, outside of the iPhone plans, when you buy an internet access package, you buy an internet access package, and that's it -- that there are no separate EDGE and HSPA packages. Meaning that you already have 3G access if you were to actually put your SIM in a 3G phone, without any additional cost.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure this is right.
    It'll be the same.

AT&T already has 3G and does not offer "3G" and "EDGE" plans. They offer "Data plans."

6. Sardukar macrumors member

On what basis do you ground this? You're talking rubbish - look at existing priceplans; data and plans cost the same regardless of whether or not your phone is 3G enabled or not.

7. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

KDarling does nothing but talk smack on the iPhone and ATT on this board.
    It's not that surprising that he doesn't really know what he's talking about.

8. fart macrumors regular

I'd pay an extra $5-$10 to be able to tether it to my MBP

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I agree with what is said. 3G will cost the same because i doubt everyone will be in 3G service area, which why pay for it when you can't get it.

10. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

But one thing to note is that the iPhone data plan is $20 more per month. If you look at all their other data plans they are $30-$60 more per month. It is entirely possible that Apple and ATT decided on the reduced rate since the phone was only EDGE. Now with 3G on the table, the cost may go up.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

True, but those plans cost more than the iPhone plan.

We can look at it two ways:

1) The plans for other phones cost $35 whether we're using 3G or not. If we're using EDGE, we're overpaying. But the point is, we can use 3G.

2) The current iPhone data plan only costs $20, but is guaranteed to only use EDGE.

Question: if you place an iPhone enabled SIM in a 3G phone, does it allow access to 3G ? That might provide a valuable clue.

12. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

In the UK plans are sold by download amount, not speed of download.

In other words 3G enabled phones have the same plans as 2.5G enabled ones.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's partly by amount in the USA as well. Or at least, anticipated amount.

For example, iPhones can have unlimited EDGE data at $20, because the average user's total won't be very high per month.

Customers who can use EDGE or 3G are charged $35, because they can transmit four or five times as much data if using the latter mode.

Customers who want to tether, are charged $55 _and_ capped at 5GB per month, because a laptop will be far more capable at burning through data than a handheld.

14. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Isn't that what I said in the post just above yours?

15. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear - it doesn't matter a hoot what phone you use and if it is 2.5G or 3G enabled if you have an unlimited data plan. The idea that you'll pay more for 3G is nonsensical. I pay £7.50 a month and use as much as I like on any phone that I own using my SIM.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

LOL. Pretty much. Great minds and all that...

The difference is that I was writing mine with a five year old running around, and it took me a lot longer to get around to clicking the "Submit" button. So I didn't even see your posting until afterwards.

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes, iPhone data plan is the same as any other phone, just cheap, because Apple got AT&T to agree to it.

AT&T doesn't care what network you use, they just want you $$

18. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I can understand that would be a bit hectic...I only have a couple of terriers running around. :)

19. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

IF IM NOT MISTAKEN, the iPhone SIM from o2 looks exactly the same to an o2 3G USIM... I didnt activate the iPhone SIM but im guessing its also a USIM..

ANY IDEAS?
    Dont think that o2 would break their backs producing two types of SIM cards? those who have 3G in their mobiles, good. otherwise you are stuck to 2.5G...

correct? not sure....

20. pavvento macrumors 6502

I would too, but unfortunately AT&T does charge a good amount for tethering plans. I think to upgrade your smartphone plan (between 35-45/month) to a tethering plan brings it up to 60/month. I do not see them allowing the iPhone to be tethered. My reasoning is that it would be very difficult to tell who is tethering and who isn't based on the amount of data it already receives.

21. impact_blue macrumors regular

It's called sourgrapes. Being stuck in a 2 year contract paying the same price for a slower connection. :rolleyes:

22. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

the iPhone sims are data enabled.. put my o2 iPhone sim into a 3g handset and i was using 3g alright...... cant charge more.. if anything they ought to reduce price of contract with new iPhone...

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're never really stuck, though. You can always buy a new iPhone and extend your contract to two years from the new purchase date, and sell the old iPhone. This is how contracts have always worked, as far as I know. Since there's no new customer discount on the iPhone anyway, you're no worse off than anyone else.

24. paulold macrumors 6502

I think the wireless industry has this new price point that consumers are getting comfortable with... $99/month. I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the lowest cost for a service/data plan for the 3G iPhone is $99/month. Especially if they promote this as the iPhone Pro - for professionals who will get their employer to purchase the phone and plan.

Sure the 3G iPhone will cost more (or the current, EDGE iPhone will be lowered in price) but I think unlimited EDGE and unlimited 3G might become different pricepoints. These companies are into making a profit, right? And they have to pay for the creation of the 3G network. You're definitely gonna get more for your money with a 3G connection.

I've never looked into the 3G phones AT&T currently has. Do they charge more for their service plans/data plans on their current 3G phones? iPhone is special, but to them it's just another phone on their network. How do the rates between the current 3G phones compare to the current EDGE phones at AT&T? Are they the same?

25. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

3G better not cost any more than EDGE, seeing as AT&T only offers "data" plans, as opposed to "edge" and "3g" plans...