Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
There's no way AT&T are going to drop millions on upgrading their network so that iPhone users can have 3G for free. You'll see a price hike on the plans for sure. I can't see the base plan sticking at $59.99. Besides, EDGE will still be here, and it's not like their going to drop the price on that.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I've never looked into the 3G phones AT&T currently has. Do they charge more for their service plans/data plans on their current 3G phones? iPhone is special, but to them it's just another phone on their network. How do the rates between the current 3G phones compare to the current EDGE phones at AT&T? Are they the same?

Right now, as far as I can tell, there are just data plans -- they cost the same irrespective of the device speed, as mentioned above (several times ;) ). There's a PDA Personal @ $30, PDA Personal Bundle (incl unlimited messaging) @$50, and PDA Personal with Tethering @$60. The first two are unlimited; the third is capped at 5GB/mo. (You can click the pic for a larger version).

20080404-ATT.jpg

We'll see. You're right -- it's almost inevitable that the iPhone 3G would spike 3G data use on AT&T's network. But to date, they have not charged a premium for using an HSPA device.

T-Mobile also made no distinction on device speed when GPRS started being supplanted by EDGE... although they of course still have no firm 3G plan, their EDGE package costs somewhat less ($20 instead of 30 for EDGE + Hotspot, and I think $40 vs 50 if unlimited messaging is added).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.