Will 9.7 iPad Pro be sold out?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marine0816, Mar 20, 2016.

1. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I have been out the ipad game for awhile now. I remember when I bought my iPad 2 back in 2011 the line was wrapped around the Apple Store. I had to use an iPad Finder app to find one at a target store that was 50 miles away. Would there be so much fan fare for this smaller iPad Pro? Was the bigger iPad Pro sold out initially? And if so when was it available? I hope I can just go in there with no line and purchase one. What is the odds?

2. Arline macrumors regular

Arline

I'll be pretty much accessible. Apple has managed to significantly improve their day 1 stock availability in recent years. Just be careful for when online orders start, and either order one or reserve one in a store and you'll get it on launch day.

3. businezguy macrumors 6502

Yes. Also, expect good tidings from a woman with blue eyes.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

iPads don't sell out anymore lol. Times have changed..

5. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Buying the ipad 2 It feels so long ago. So if I preorder it, I won't need to wake up at 2am hitting the refresh button?

6. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I do believe consumer demand for these new iPads will be off the charts. I'm already camped outside my local Apple Store to make sure I get one on launch day.

7. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Are you joking?

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For the first month or so after release, iPad Pro was a bit hard to get. Most stores had them in stock, but not necessarily the color/storage combo you wanted. I don't know how preorders went, as I didn't preorder this time.

It's true that iPads haven't sold out the last few releases, but a lot of people might be upgrading if it has Pencil support. If you really want it on day one, I'd stay up and preorder, but if you don't mind waiting a week or so, preordering at a normal time or walking into a store should do it.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

At the current level of sales I highly doubt it.
    It will most probably be the most sold tablet in the world, but I don't think it will sold out.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I think with recent releases you can walk into any Apple Store and buy the new iPad without any issue.

11. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

That was also a time when Steve Jobs was the one giving most of the keynote and demoing features himself.

Something about it just felt so natural and exciting.

Now Apple pretty much does the same slideshow every year but instead of showing an amazing picture of a squirrel, its a chipmunk this year.

12. mrklaw macrumors 65816

I was in the Apple Store on Friday and I was tempted to grab a pencil as they might experience a demand surge and I don't know how well stocked they are now - they only had two on the shelf

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Probably not, unfortunately it appears the market isn't dying to get new tablets.

14. Serban Suspended

i think many will update to the new 9.7" ipad. people that are coming from ipad 2-ipad air 1

15. Legendts macrumors regular

Legendts

Somewhat dependant on price but I will most likely update from my old iPad 3 but in no hurry either.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It always depends on inventory. I suspect the local stores will have enough to cover needs. This is not iPhone launch and should not be like the Pro introduction. While I will be getting the new iPad I am just excited to see the new operating system and what it offers.

17. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

This. You can walk into any store on release day and basically get whatever model and color you want. Pretty much.

18. bufffilm, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Could be sell outs in the short term (wouldn't surprise me if it happened)...but it won't be as bad as what we saw with the iPad 2.

I ordered my ipad2 thru the Apple site and got it around 4 weeks later. People that ordered theirs a week later had to wait nearly 6-7 weeks.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As long as those charts have an upper threshold of double digits. shrinking iPad sales are such that there's really a good shot of apple not running out of stock.

20. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I purchased my Air 2 on launch day. I went to the Apple store in the afternoon and there was no line and I believe all options were available. If it is important for you to get it on launch day I would pre-order. You can take your time picking it up and even if there is a line, there is usually a separate short line or no line for pre-orders.

21. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

The iPad likely won't sell out, the accessories for it will, well maybe not the pencil this time.

22. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If the 9.7 IPP is what the rumors claim it will be, I suspect that there will be plenty of accessories for it. Apple might've played it too conservatively with the 12.9 accessories (that is if the shortage wasn't due to manufacturing bottlenecks). They have a better idea this time around what to expect.

23. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I'm pretty sure they won't be sold out. If you're not an absolute fanboy, wait a while and you'll get tax-free options and significant discounts on eBay. I mean, Target had a 15% discount just about a month after the official launch of the 12.9" iPad....

24. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I highly doubt it, there are so many sales channels I am sure it will be available everywhere, maybe at most certain colors (probably rose gold) will be a little more scarce but still generally available.

25. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The 9.7" Pro looks impressive but still don't think it will be sold out. Nothing earth shocking that is causing everyone to run out and buy one imo..