will a 15-inch: 2.8GHz macbook pro run fallout 3 well?? better than xbox?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InfinityBaklash, Oct 8, 2009.

1. InfinityBaklash macrumors newbie

Hi there,

i am just about to buy a 15-inch: 2.8GHz macbook pro,

i am wanting to be able to play games like fallout 3, and i was wondering if the 15-inch: 2.8GHz will be comparable to an xbox 360 at all?, as int eh refresh rate and graphics? if it will be and if it runs smoother this will seal me into buying one.

also will i be able to play the fallout game using an xbox 360 controller with a wireless pc dongle on a macbook pro?

also will playing games such as fallout drain the battery extremly quick on a macbook pro?

any help would be greatly appriciated.

lewis.

2. akbc macrumors 6502

Computer vs. Gaming Console for gaming.

Gaming Console will win for sure.

Since the 9600M GT isn't even close to w/e is in the XBOX.

I don't think 3xCrossfire 4870X2 with Core i7 or something can even beat the real "gaming consoles" when it comes to an overall experience.

3. yensteel macrumors regular

I think your macbook pro can run Fallout 3 fine with medium settings.

Actually, I would advise you to run Fallout 3 a computer because of the customizations that are available. There's about 10,000 mods on falloutnexus.com.

4. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Hey there!

I have the 2.8 model and I feel it is well worth the investment. The NVidia 9600 GT 512Mb dedicated graphics card definitely shows the performance here. I play Call Of Duty 4 often on this machine and there are no hiccups. Frame rate and graphic display are very amazing.
    However, is the graphics better than an Xbox? Probably not. But I would say they are very close. Besides a MacBook Pro can do anything. Just that fact that it can play games with high quality is a great enough reason to buy one. Keep in mind that the Xbox and other game consoles are designed specifically to play games. On the other hand, Macs are designed to do just about everything.

...It is smaller than an Xbox. lol

5. takamine macrumors member

What settings are you running COD4 on? Also, are you playing in Windows (via Boot Camp)?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sorry but a Gaming computer well built can surely beat a Game Console. Specially the X-Box.

The X-Box features a PPC CPU which clocks at 3.1GHz with 3 cores and a 512MB RAM clocked at 700MHz and this to a console that is slowed even more down by a hard drive.

An Intel Core i7-950 is clocked at 3.2GHz with 4 cores. You can use an EVGA E760 card (has 3-way SLI) with 3 EVGA Nvidia GTX 295 in SLI; add 12GB DDR3-1600MHz to that motherboard and you got one bad ass Gaming PC that will obliterate and X-Box in sight. Oh and for an extra boost, add a Intel SSD.

As for the GeForce 9600M GT, no, it isn't even close.

7. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I run the game under optimal settings. Then I just change the resolution to 1440 x 900 and it works perfectly fine.

No, I play under the native Mac OS X 10.6. The game is sold for mac...didn't you know this?

8. takamine macrumors member

Yes, I know they have a version for Mac too. But I heard the Windows version runs faster due to the way the ported it or something. Not too sure on the exact details though. Have you tried running it on an external monitor?