Will a 16GB iPhone be enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JamarXII, Jul 5, 2011.

1. JamarXII, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

JamarXII macrumors newbie

Right now I have my 8GB ipod touch completely filled with 5.1 GB of music(936 songs) and 1.4 GB of apps (41) and I plan on getting whatever new version of the iPhone is coming this fall. Im gonna use my old iTouch for movies and just use my iPhone for Music,Apps, and a few photos/videos. I do plan on putting on a couple of larger sized apps similar to Infinity Blade though, so would 16GB be good enough?

2. NannyJordyn macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

16 GB sounds like it'll be plenty of space for you. I can't imagine you'll need any more than that any time soon.
    8GB doesn't seem to be a problem, so 16 GB should be more than enough!

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Well I have a 16GB iPhone 4 and I put a few songs from every artist in my iTunes and I've got plenty of space left.

However, if you think you'll need it, it's best to fork over the extra bones just so you're not short when you need the space. It's best to have too much memory than not enough. Plus, the resale will be higher. :D

4. Fleon85 macrumors member

and the cost also will be higher. 16 gb is more than enough for me ;)

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You'll be fine with 16GB.

I personally bought a 32GB so each time I hear "16GB" I get claustrophobic :eek: That's probably because I horde too much stuff on my phone :D

6. shadowjeff macrumors regular

I have a 16 gb and I find that it's not enough for me, gets me frustrated when I have to delete songs and apps to free up spaces. Might be enough for you since you have little songs... But recently games have been of bigger sizes so I'd suggest 32 gb and why not just watch videos on your coming iPhone? It's much smoother and looks a lot better than on your itouch.

7. NannyJordyn macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

And for me, 32 GB makes me claustrophobic... Full 64 GB iPod touch... Very much hoping for a 64 GB iPhone 5. Hahaha.

8. Fleon85 macrumors member

also I like only arcade games and they are small :) (I downloaded on my iPad Infinity Blade and I deleted it after 2 hours)

9. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

No. I wish they had a 64Gb version... I am also an app hoarder...

10. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

With iCloud coming, 16gb will easily be enough. You can delete most of the songs off of your iPhone and download them whenever you want them. You wont need to store gb's of music at once.

11. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I had the 16GB 3GS and now the 16GB iP4. Yeah, I can't fit my whole music library on it, but I sync some awesome playlists and always have room to spare.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

16GB should be enough as you aren't wanting to put a lot of movies on it. It can hold a lot of music and apps.

13. blunti macrumors 6502a

16 should be ok. as mentioned above: if you're going to put a lot of movies on it get the 32. otherwise 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. tombubi macrumors regular

I agree with that .

15. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

16 is more than enough for me.

The next one I get might be 32 but thats only if I'm feeling particularly greedy when upgrade time comes next year.

16. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I'm hoping the baseline will be a 32gb iphone with the higher end being 64gb. I can't bring myself to buy a phone for 300 dollars plus sales tax on the unsubsidized price

17. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

If you start putting movies on ther you will eat up space in no time. Myself, I find the iPhone screen too small to watch movies, but I do have 20 gig of music.

Just think about everything you might conceivably want to have on you phone and double it. :D

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I couldn't disagree more. I don't see the point of choosing what I want to delete, accessing the cloud, downloading music I already own to be able to play while I'm out. I mean, I can't imagine a situation where this wouldn't work, like I'm on the metro, on a plane, in a train in a tunnel, anywhere you don't have a steady connection...And of course, it surely won't matter to anyone that downloading your own you'll be able to do this an average of once a day on a 200MB plan (~6MB per song X 30 days) and just seems pointless overall.

19. kasakka macrumors 68000

Having used Spotify on my iPhone for quite some time now, it works quite well. At least over here you can get a decent connection in most places and even if there is a break in the connection (like in the subway) then it uses whatever it has streamed (which can be as much as a few songs next on the playlist).

Granted, you do need a good data plan. I checked that one month I used nearly 1 GB data because of Spotify simply by listening to it when traveling between work and home, so roughly 80 minutes a day. Here it costs me about $20 USD for unlimited data so not a problem.

But even without iCloud or Spotify 16 GB is plenty. I don't see any reason to carry your whole music collection with you at all times. I mean do you really want to listen to all those filler tracks, interludes or whatever might be crammed into an album, when you're on the move? So why not just carry the best stuff, any new stuff etc.

20. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

32gb isn;t even enough for me. If you intend to play games on your phone, most of those high end games are very large in size. Spend the extra money to get the higher capacity, and you can have ease of mind.

21. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

1 - Clearly we listen to music differently. If I'm underground for 15/20 minutes the buffer isn't going to keep up and there will be interruptions. Why interact with your media like that when you have a device that's an iPod and a phone? Why not just carry a phone and a CD player? If I'm going to be switching my music out all the time anyway (wasn't that what MP3 players were designed to prevent?) I may as well carry it with me.

2 - Cost isn't an issue for me either since I have unlimited, but again, not the point. Why should I have to pay on a tiered plan to access my own music that can't even be streamed? We're not talking about instant access here, it's downloading tracks and albums I already have access to, which again, seems pointless.

3 - Because there are many people that don't like to listen to just singles? Again, this may be an age or listening to music difference, but there's more out there than just top forty and Lady Gaga. While I agree that I'm not listening to the entireity of every album I own every time I leave the house, why should I have to choose what I take with me? Again, Apple set the precident when they increased the capacity of the iPod from 5GB (you can get 160 these days). By your reasoning, that never should have happened. There are countless situations where I can justify having more space on me. how many times can I say the same about wanting less physical storage? Never. I just may be missing the appeal of having less convenient access to your media, but there's no logical reason to download and wait to access music that you posses already.

22. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I have to agree. I only have 6.52 GB of music but I only have 9 GB left on my 32 GB phone. Most of what is taking it up is games (and I deleted all the 1 GB+ ones on my phone). Games add up believe it or not, especially if you don't want to have to pick and choose what you put on (or if you want to keep all your progress in games that you gain more levels or abilities like racing games or even puzzle games because if you erase them, all your game info goes so you'd always have to start with nothing if you had to remove them and put them on when you wanted to play them).

Honestly, if I get a better job before the 5 comes out and they increase storage space (but don't mess up function/form of phone some how), that alone might convince me to get the 5.

23. kasakka macrumors 68000

I mostly use Spotify for tracks that I don't have as MP3s. But sometimes I can't be bothered dealing with the hassle of syncing the phone (iTunes and all that crap) so I just use it to play songs I would otherwise have on the phone itself. There isn't a real difference in experience with Spotify vs iPod. It starts streaming pretty much instantly.

I don't listen to just singles or whatever is on the radio, please don't patronise. What I meant is that many albums do have not-so-good tracks and if it's anything of a concept album may have some filler "atmosphere" tracks in between. Carrying those around means you'll probably skip over them because they're usually not worth more than one listening.