will a battery for my MBP be available in 3 years?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btownguy, Dec 22, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

With the way Apple integrates batteries into MBP's, I can see some "planned obsolescence" here on Apple's part. Let's say I want to replace the battery in my MBP in 3 years. I have to go to Apple for that. Will they even have batteries available for my MBP then? Or will it be "Sorry bud, we don't make those anymore. Can I interest you in a brand new MBP instead?"

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The replaceable battery on my first gen MBP is no longer available at the Apple store--although it can be ordered online. The genius told me it was "too old" to keep in stock at the stores.

I think Apple will have a supply of parts for awhile but after enough years it will become harder to get them.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

^^^ Yes, they will probably be in a warehouse somewhere, but they will have them.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I believe they have to provide spare parts for up to 5 years (7 years in California).

6. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

They still sell iBook and Powerbook batteries from way back in the day so I'm sure you'll be fine.

7. prodigee macrumors 6502a

They may not have them in store but they will certainly have them, like CJacks said they still have the old PowerBook and iBook batteries in warehouses and those are like 7+ years old now.

8. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Are those still any good? What the shelf life of one of those batteries?

Chances are, if Apple stops selling replacement batteries, you will be able to find some kind of third-party replacement.

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

When you buy them, they aren't years old. I bought one for my Powerbook last June, and it was six months old when I got it. They still make them obviously.

10. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Apple will probably have them - wince they're planning on the batteries they ship now to last years and years, they probably want to be the one to sell you a new one years and years from now :p

Even if they don't have them any more, you can count on third parties to have them. Heck, I can still go out and buy a new battery for my PowerBook 540c if I was so inclined :D