Will All iPhones in the US be Unlocked Now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eeosman, Mar 25, 2011.

1. eeosman macrumors newbie

Will iPhone 5(or whatever name) be sold factory unlocked in the US Apple Stores like the rest of world?
    i think it is possible 'cos exclusive at&t partnership is over.
    Any info or idea?

2. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

No chance. Since it's only available on two carriers. Or people could purchase it unlocked and go to other carriers. That would defeat the whole purpose of Verizon getting the iPhone 4 now.

3. eeosman, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

eeosman thread starter macrumors newbie

The only countries are the USA and Japan sells iphones locked to the carriers.

4. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Not really sure. Here in Canada the Apple store sells unlocked iPhone's and you can do what you wish with them. Not sure about the U.S.

I don't see it happening though because it wouldn't be right if Verizon was able to sell unlocked iPhone's and AT&T wasn't. It would cause problems in my eyes.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Won't happen in the U.S.; AT&T has far too much political power to be required to unlock iPhones. It has nothing to do with the Verizon iPhone.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

The carriers make the choice on selling locked or unlocked. Verizon phones don't work on most other carriers so it's sort of moot. I doubt Apple cares whether the phones are locked or not.

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Sure. When you buy a phone through a carrier, the carrier decides whether or not to lock the phone. For example, when you buy an iPhone in Canada through Bell, the phone is locked to Bell and will not work with Rogers or Telus.

When you buy an iPhone in Canada through Apple, the phone is unlocked and will work on any technologically compatible network, and Apple doesn't care which carrier you choose.

On the other hand, when you buy a GSM iPhone in the USA, regardless of whether you're going through AT&T or through Apple, the phone is still locked to AT&T.

This can only be explained by the fact that there remains some form of agreement between Apple and AT&T whereby Apple agrees to give AT&T preferential access to the GSM iPhone, in exchange for AT&T giving some sort of benefit to Apple. If there were no such agreement in place, then Apple would have no incentive to keep on locking the GSM iPhones that are sold outside the scope of its relationship with AT&T.

8. WMuntean macrumors regular

And thats why I'm getting an iPhone from Canada. No more waiting for a Jailbreak/Unlock. I just hope there's a workaround for the Facetime activation issues.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Unless you're willing to do some software hacking and your carrier is willing to accept it, Verizon phones don't work on any other carrier.

Nobody knows the terms of the AT&T-Apple contract. Just because AT&T lost exclusivity doesn't mean they still don't have a lock on the GSM market. Until then, make a trip to Canada or your closest country with factory-unlocked phones and buy one from the apple store.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I highly doubt it.
    Why would they do it now after 4 years of all iphones beeing locked to AT&T?
    Maybe after years when there is no other GSM carrier in the US and Tmobile has been already swallowed and digested by AT&T:)

11. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Will All iPhones in the US be Unlocked Now?

Now that AT&T is buying T-Mobile, there is no longer a major threat to them releasing unlocked phones. There is only one major GSM carrier in the US that you will be able to use an iPhone on so why WOULDN'T AT&T allow all their phones to be unlocked?

12. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

13. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Yeah I just don't see it happening right now. If you really want one that badly, pick one up from Canada.

14. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

But what's the point? If you can only buy the phone at a subsidized price on contract, you're locked in for two years anyway. If you buy it directly from Apple for the unsubsidized price, 1. it doesn't affect them anyway if you use it with another carrier and 2. there is no national carrier that it would even work with. I no longer see any benefit (for AT&T) to them locking the phone.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

why dont you see the point? AT&T will still make the $299 subsidized price, if people bought from apple they lose that $299

16. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

You're not understanding my point. If you buy the phone at the subsidized price, you're locked into a 2 yr contract anyway so what's the difference if your phone is unlocked or not!? Even if you took your phone to a small regional carrier, you're still obligated to pay the remainder of your contract with AT&T so it wouldn't hurt them.

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

wouldnt AT&T lose phone sales?

18. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Because you're not understanding the point. Let's say I own a garbage phone and I pay $15 a month for it. Comes with a decent plan. So now I go to Apple, buy an iPhone 4 for the full price. I then switch the sims of the iPhone 4 and old crappy phone. (Yes I'll need a micro sim. So I head to the retail store, pay $10 and get a new one) I then place it in my new iPhone, block the data and I'm paying $15 a month for an iPhone 4 without data. If you have WiFi everywhere else you go this is perfect. This is what happens in Canada a lot of the time. People purchase unlocked second hand phones and use them with their old contract. I know tons of people that do this. AT&T isn't stupid and they know this could happen. So they rather have you purchase a phone from either them or Apple WITH a data plan/new contract.

19. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

One good reason (for AT&T anyway)? Travel. Say I go to Europe and bring along my iPhone. If it's unlocked, I can just get a cheap prepaid SIM from a local carrier while over there and use that for my telephone needs. If the phone is locked, then I have to either pay exorbitant roaming fees, or exorbitant fees for international minutes.

20. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

That's also another really good reason. Never thought of it that way. They make huge money on roaming fees. Especially data charges.

21. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

While there's technically no other national carrier (since AT&T bought t-mobile), there's still plenty of regional carriers and pay as you go.
    FYI, there's already another thread on this
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1124869
    Why don't you try reading the forums first before posting? :rolleyes:
    Also, as mentioned above, AT&T makes like a bandit on international roaming.

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

There is no reason for AT&T to unlock the iPhones. By keeping it locked to the AT&T network, they ensure that you will remain an AT&T customer as long as you use that iPhone. They hope you will continue to use the iPhone after your 2 year contract expires and they can keep raking in the money. They have enough political power in Washington to keep it that way.

23. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

Trust id good,control is better. Thats because att doesn't unlock the phones. They dont want people to use prepaid iphones.

24. eeosman, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

eeosman thread starter macrumors newbie

seems like the time will answer(latest on july). i dont think apple will announce about that.
    but i think usa apple stores will release iphones f.u. like uk,cdn,aus,cn,ch,d,f,e retail stores.
    by this way apple can increase sales by international customers on usa visits.

25. draz macrumors 6502a

If you get it subsidized then it should be locked. If you get it for the full unsubsidized price and only from an Apple store it should be unlocked. At least that is how I see it... And how Apple is doing it in many countries.

Hopefully we start hearing more of this in the coming weeks and months.
    Although until the AT&T-Mobile deal is final, the iPhone 5 might still be locked.

So stay tuned for the iPhone 6!