Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bballers29

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
I have a Touch Bar MacBook Pro and only find Touch ID to be useful. In fact, I frequently press the Touch Bar by mistake, enabling Siri or other functions which is aggravating.

I think Touch Bar was Apple's response to people saying they weren't innovating and to somewhat hush critics who kept on harping about Apple laptops needing to be touchscreen.

From what I've read, I am not the only customer who finds the Touch Bar gimmicky and unhelpful. I was wondering if Apple might just implement a MacBook Air style keyboard—that only includes Touch ID in the power button—with their next generation Pro's?

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I think it will still be there but they will rework it somehow. Definitely brighter, maybe haptic feedback, probably some developer kit to get apps to make more functionality for it.

Reactions: HenryDJP

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Unless they completely reinvent the keyboard in some way, the touch bar is here to stay. Apple will tweak and refine it in future revisions, be that software or hardware. They added it with a next step in mind, so we'll see what that is eventually.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Apple never admits to making mistakes. They will never get rid of it now. If they won't admit the new keyboard is bad and no headphone jack on the iPhones are bad they won't admit the Touch Bar was a mistake.

Reactions: Lammers

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
I think the Touch Bar is most likely to go away when apple introduces touchscreens to their notebook computers; something I expect to happen at the next major revision of their notebook lines.

Reactions: SDColorado

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
I could see them making it more useful not removing it. Better Touch Tool is getting there but the UI is terrible and not very user friendly.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Apple never admits to making mistakes. They will never get rid of it now. If they won't admit the new keyboard is bad and no headphone jack on the iPhones are bad they won't admit the Touch Bar was a mistake.

Pretty much this.

I do wonder though if they might reintroduce a non-TB base model with the next redesign.

Reactions: Never mind

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I have to wonder what's left for them to redesign. The machine is already way to thin. What are they going to do different?

Hard to say. Can't get much thinner, already ruined the keyboard, stripped the ports to their limit, about all they could do is try and shrink the footprint incrementally.

I will say they did a nice job really shrinking the display/body gap when the lid is closed on the 2016+ models compared to the 2008-2015 models, which was a necessity to hit their thinness obsession.

EDIT: I guess they still have to ditch the headphone jack...

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
How do they have speakers on the MBP 13”, 2018 MBA, and 12” MacBook?

Using magnet paper you can see how small the speakers actually are. The grille sizes are fake news.
I don't mind the grills, it gives my hands a place to rest.

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
5909B3F2-E952-4202-8542-403313FE87F7.jpeg

Reactions: twanj and puma1552

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Well, if they make the MacBooks any smaller they’d be Mac versions of the Surface with a detachable or optional keyboard.

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
IF they make the machines any smaller they won't have any room to cool them at all. As it is now they can barely keep them cool enough to operate.

With current components, yes. Just wait until they switch to ARM / 7nm tech.

I was referring to the 15”. It still has quite a large footprint.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
I have a Touch Bar MacBook Pro and only find Touch ID to be useful. In fact, I frequently press the Touch Bar by mistake, enabling Siri or other functions which is aggravating.

I think Touch Bar was Apple's response to people saying they weren't innovating and to somewhat hush critics who kept on harping about Apple laptops needing to be touchscreen.

From what I've read, I am not the only customer who finds the Touch Bar gimmicky and unhelpful. I was wondering if Apple might just implement a MacBook Air style keyboard—that only includes Touch ID in the power button—with their next generation Pro's?

No because it is really useful for some pro apps that use track editing.

It’s also great for finding symbols and emojis.

Eventually keyboards will have no moving parts and will be haptic. The Touchbar is just the beginning.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Some day Apple will make a device that has a virtual pop up keyboard that comes up on a touch sensitive display.

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
The grilles are the sexiest part of the 15" machine.

If they reduced it by quarter or half an inch on either side it would still look good. IMO the top bar is the bigger eye-sore than the sides. Compare the footprint of the front facing camera on the iPhone to MacBooks; there’s no reason why the bezel has to be that large.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
No because it is really useful for some pro apps that use track editing.

It’s also great for finding symbols and emojis.

Eventually keyboards will have no moving parts and will be haptic. The Touchbar is just the beginning.
This is where I fear Apple is moving. They will have a touch keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.