Will Apple apply education discount yes or no? Update

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SchneiderMan, Feb 13, 2010.

?

Will Apple apply education discount on the iPad?

1. YES

59 vote(s)
    46.1%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Not a Mac so NO

37 vote(s)
    28.9%
  1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

What do you say?

Update: 02/23
    Just read this:
    "Tim Cook, Apple's chief operating officer, spoke at the Goldman Sachs annual tech conference in San Francisco Tuesday afternoon. He said the iPad will launch in retail, online education and other direct sales from Apple, but will also include the company's assisted sales from partners like Best Buy."

So???

Source

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I wish they would, but I have a feeling they wont. They could target students that much better with an education discount, however they do not discount the iPhone so I do not see it happening with the iPad.

3. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Nice point, but i'll tell you why i think they might is because the iPad is a whole new category, so it's not an iPhone nor is it a Mac.

4. X_Entity macrumors member

hard to say. On the one hand my crystal ball says yes

my tarrot cards say the future doesn't look hopeful

and I dropped the magic 8 ball and the blue stuff came out.

draw your own conclusion.

5. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Probably not, but I think they should. Personally I know several people on the fence and this would help push them over the edge. This could be a huge hit for the education space and many college students will buy whatever is cheaper. Even if it does suck like a netbook. It seems like there is enough room for the price to lower, like that report the other day said. So maybe they will just go ahead and lop $50 off the price. They do that and I'll actually consider the 3g just because I want the GPS for downloaded maps and the 3g about once a year for vacation. They'll actually be making money in my case because I wouldn't have paid an extra $130 for the 3g. But $80 makes it a little easier to swallow. I still tend to believe that the 3g model is overpriced (and kinda ugly on the back). Any companies going to make a cheap GPS dock connector for the iPad?

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I'm going to say yes, b/c Apple wants to encourage rapid adoption, and Apple execs are on the record that they intend to be "aggressive" with pricing. Remember, Apple has said it will sell 10m units in its first fiscal year, and Apple's estimates are always on the conservative side. So Apple has its work cut out.

7. tys macrumors 6502

Since Apple is reportedly negotiating with Textbook publishers, I think signs point to yes. A lower edu price will help sway folks away from paper texts.
    I wonder if the current policy of allowing apps on multiple devices (up to 5, right?) will still apply? A whole house full of iPad-toting students could share one copy!

8. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Hard to say! If they do I think the discount will be very low! Who knows...

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I think they may. The educational segment is definitely a part of their target audience, so I would be surprised if they did not want to encourage the adoption by students and educators.

10. azdunerat macrumors regular

I would not be surprised at all if they did. In fact I will take it a step further and put a 75% chance they offer a 50.00 discount and 25% they offer even steeper possibly 100.00 for students. Now before ripping my head off remember the estimated costs and who apple wants to target. Even with 100.00 off the margins are still very healthy and in fact it would probably be a catalyst for more people to buy the 3G models. So apple sells more models at 130.00 price increase with a cost increase of only what 12 bucks, now deduct that 100 student discount. Apple still makes thier up front profit and now they also get a kick back from att when you light that little wonder up.

11. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I hope so myself and a lot of my friends want this for College so it makes sense Apple would want to spark the education scene to buy it.

12. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

No, as it is still a relatively new product. Apple will do it with the iPod touch for another few more years before this will happen. (hopefully)

13. rtay macrumors regular

They're making a huge profit on this thing, said they will be nimble with the pricing, and can instill this as the must have on every campus. Seems like a yes to me.

14. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Well a lot of you voted yes, and i have high hopes that this will in fact be true :)

15. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I would say no. They have only applied it to Macs in the past.

However I could see a discount for students when they do the free iPod deal. And you just pay the difference on the iPad.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

17. ClassicII macrumors 6502

ClassicII

I think they will as you can use iWork at school.

18. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I would love for Apple to offer an educational discount on the iPad. That would definitely help get more college students interested in making the purchase. However, I am not sure how likely it is. I'm crossing my fingers for now.

19. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Just read this:
    "Tim Cook, Apple's chief operating officer, spoke at the Goldman Sachs annual tech conference in San Francisco Tuesday afternoon. He said the iPad will launch in retail, online education and other direct sales from Apple, but will also include the company's assisted sales from partners like Best Buy."

So???

Source

20. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Well it looks hopeful then, depending on the discount I may get one. It would be unwise not to use the student discount while I can, if I intend to purchase one in the end anyway.

21. admanimal macrumors 68040

Appleinsider forgot a comma. What Tim is saying is that Apple is going to sell it through their usual channels like Apple stores, online, educational (they have representatives who talk directly to school's IT departments), etc.

It means nothing about individual edu discounts.

22. flipshot macrumors 6502a

They did used to offer a small educational discount on iPods for the first few generations. Then they realised students were buying them anyway so why offer a discount, plus there was no real educational need for them.

Since then they have stuck to just offering the discount on Macs but they haven't really had another product that targets education (Apple TV and iPhone don't). So it is possible that there will be educational discount on the iPad.

23. gratui macrumors member

M$ offered Windows 7 for students @ £30. Apple should do the same for iPad :D

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You mean the "Big iPod Touch" category. :D