Will Apple care+ cover this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chfilm, Dec 1, 2016.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

IMG_0393.JPG IMG_0394.JPG hi,
    I'm struck by sadness, after perfectly applying a best skin ever last night to my iPhone 7+, and start to carry it caseless it fell down on the street today, slipping out of my pants.
    Now it has these two major scratches:

I do have AC+. If I show this to them, what do you think they will offer me?

2. Applejuiced, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will offer you to pay $99 for a replacement or they will most likely tell you to live with it until your iPhone has real non cosmetic damage that warrants replacement. This way you dont waste 1 out of 2 replacements just for that.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Do you have a black sharpie marker available to you?

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

for that idk. i have a single hairline fracture on mine. i had one once before on my 6+ and they replaced the screen with no charge under the normal 1yr warranty. but mine looks like this. there was a case on it so no impact marks.

its hard to tell because i took it with my iMac isight and the phone is white. but its just a crescent shape on the corner. only on the white part not on the actual display. they should replace it again with no charge. but i'll see tomorrow.

Attached Files:

5. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

So I should keep using it, and wait a few months until it fell down again, then to there and pay 99€ to replace it on the spot, correct?

6. chabig macrumors 68040

AppleCare+ isn't an insurance program. It's an extended warranty against manufacturing defects, and with additional coverage for two screen replacements. I don't think Apple is going to replace the phone because of those dings, no matter how old it is or when they happen. If down the road, you do crack the screen, I think AppleCare+ will replace the screen, but not the phone.

I'm sorry to sound negative. I wish I were wrong (and I may be).

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Some have said the black sharpie rubs off with your hands almost immediately with the Jet Black color. Not sure how accurate this is. In any case, the marker still serves as a temporary hide, if it doesn't rub off.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's an option.
    Unless you dont want to spend the $99 at all and live with it the way it is.
    Or get a case to cover it and forget it.

9. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

thats up to you if you can live with it till something worse happens, if it does.

10. bradbomb macrumors regular

You are correct it is a warranty, but the additional coverage with deductible is not just for screen replacements.

11. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

As @chabig pointed out earlier.. do you guys agree on this? Do they only replace the screen? This damage goes beyond the screen around the edges. Do they not cover this stuff as well? I find their warranty description a bit unclear.

12. bradbomb macrumors regular

Attached Files:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they replace the whole phone if its needed.
    If its just the screen that's cracked they replace just that part.

14. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

Oh right, so 30 bucks for the screen and 99 for the whole thing. I see. So I'll live with it case less for another few weeks and will see what will happen...

15. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

I checked again in the terms, and there it says, that the screen has to be influenced in its visibility in order to justify a replacement or repair. If it's just cosmetic damage (like in my case) Apple care will do nothing... does this mean I have to drop it again to really break it if I want a repair? Anybody has experience with the behavior of the service reps in cases like this?

16. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

Correct. But you can give it a shot at the genius bar. I took my Apple Watch in because I fell last April and broke a finger and scratched the hell out of my watch. It didn't qualify for an Apple Care+ replacement/repair because it was usable, but they sent it off and I got new one.

However, I don't think they'll do that with your phone unless the screen is messed up.

17. Sunny1990, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give it a try first before you break it any more.
    They'll take care of you.

19. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

and by the way, shouldnt they definitely cover this, because the water resistance of the phone will be compromised with this damage, right?

20. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

If you do an express replacement you will get a refurbished phone for $99. If you take it to a genius they will most likely not replace it. Does it have the hissing problem or white noise during recording video? If yes, Apple will give you an in warranty replacement for free

21. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

but what would happen if say...a car ran over his phone and destroyed it? wouldn't it still be covered for a replacement under applecare+?

22. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

if it doesn't function normally anymore. Yes
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2016 ---
    It is an insurance program, against accidental damage. However it does not cover cosmetic damage. It covers water damage, fire, anything that allows the phone to not function normally. That is what the $99 deductible is for. $29 is for the screen.

23. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

UPDATE: my single hairline fracture was covered by apple at no cost under the regular warranty.

also my phone was perfect other than that. got a screen replacement and everything is good.

24. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

Beautiful

25. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

had to wait 1 1/2 hr for a walk-in. then 1hr for the screen replacement. I had other things to do near by and it was in a mall so i did some xmas shopping. but it doesnt hurt to just try and ask.