Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Those portable HDMI screens would work just as well on a 2016-2018 (no dongle required) - cables that convert the USB-C/TB3 port to HDMI are a dime a dozen, and support at least 4K resolution. I'm not sure if they're technically USB-C or TB3 (will they work on a MacBook or a USB-C Windows laptop)? Either way, they work fine on MBPs - I have two of them, one driving a monitor and a long one in my projector case).

As for "will the new 16" replace the 15" or be a new premium model?", my guess is that the new machine will be the new primary model, but that Apple may leave the lowest end model of the current 15" design in the lineup, starting the new model above it. They often do this at a redesign.

Can you recommend a model? I have two in my watchlist on Amazon but they are sold by someone that mainly sells clothing and I'm a bit wary about buying from them. My current case is that I like the 2015 rMBP but there are times when I'd like more screen real estate. My solution is to carry two 15 inch rMBPs but an additional portable display might be an answer. The advantage of two rMBPs, though, is that I can use both screens when I can't get a table near a power outlet. The portable HDMI screens that I've seen are USB-C powered and I assume that you need a wall plug.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Looks like I found another solution. I installed EasyRes and I can choose 2560x1600, 2880x1800 and a bunch of other resolutions. Yeah, things are a little on the small side and may be a little hard to read but it's fine for trading. I can see a ton of charts and then change the zoom factor in the browser and some other programs. These Retina MacBook Pros are really something else. I do want to see what Apple has in mind for 16/16.5 inches but I could just live with the 15 inch rMBPs at native or near-native resolution.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
If Apple comes out with a relatively thin and lightweight 16 inch or even bigger MacBook Pro that doesn’t cost 10000000000000 dollars lol I’m in. I really want one.

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
Well they need to address a lot of issues before the majority of us purchase any new laptop from Apple. If they addressed the keyboard correctly, I think a lot of people would get behind it again but until then, stay away honestly.

Reactions: Queen6

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Well they need to address a lot of issues before the majority of us purchase any new laptop from Apple. If they addressed the keyboard correctly, I think a lot of people would get behind it again but until then, stay away honestly.

Is the keyboard situation like “most people are fine just some people have trouble”

OR

“quite a few people have trouble, it’s an ongoing issue many people are facing but not everyone”

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
Yes, I would buy it if it was in an acceptable price range (for me). I think we might really see that rumored 16-16.5 inch MBP, but I'm a realist, so it will be at least $3499 for something like 16gb RAM / 512gb SSD, USB-C only (I still don't get why they removed SD card reader = do they really consider it to be obsolete? Camera makers have other opinion...), emojibar etc. etc.

And of course the reliability... that's the key "feature" for me!

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I don’t know is the answer, it would depend on the weight and footprint of the laptop.

We don’t know at the moment if the rumoured 16 will be in addition to a new 15 or if they’ll be able to fit a 16” screen in the current 15” body.

I think the current 15 is a good size and weight but personally I wouldn’t want to go any bigger than that. If the 16 is in addition to the 15 then it would be larger and then I think it would become a pretty big machine to be carrying around. Although the trade off might be that it’s much more powerful thanks to being able to take advantage of the extra space for improved cooling?

Also, if there’s a 14 in a 13” body, that might be quite tempting too. So who knows!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Can you be more precise? There are too many variables. Same form factor but smaller bezels (it can easily fit a 16" screen)? Or a larger laptop altogether? If its larger, is the screen size the only difference?

If its just a bigger laptop with a 16" screen, then definitely not. If its same form factor, but 16", that's great. If it's a bigger laptop with a more powerful GPU, probably not.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
We’re assuming any new MBP will have FaceID in it right? That would suggest the top bezel will have to be of a certain minimum size to fit the sensor array. But maybe the other three bezels are reduced in size? But would that look weird? And how thick would the screen have to be in order to house the array?

The market for a bigger physical laptop than the current 15” is surely limited? I suspect the number of people on here wanting a return of something akin to the old 17” are nowhere near representative of the public at large.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I don’t know all that all I’m saying is that if a 16 inch MacBook Pro comes out and it’s legit I’m in. Obvi if it’s thick as a mattress or heavy as bricks or the price of a Miami mansion I don’t want it

calliex

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2018
Pittsburgh, Pa
I would like a 16 I had two 17 in laptops. I am more concerned with reliability (keyboard and all the others issues brought up on this forum

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I still don't get why they removed SD card reader = do they really consider it to be obsolete?

I don't get why they ever included it - what camera can't just be plugged in to download the photos? And if you use one of the higher-end memory card formats that don't appear in point-and-shoot cameras, you're **** out of luck too.

Who is carrying around a laptop and a digital camera, but can't somehow manage to carry a USB cable or card reader?

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I would buy a 17. I have two of them right now but they are both non-functional to some degree. It could be anywhere from 4 to 8 pounds. It would be lighter than carrying two 15s.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
the 17” mbp, w/ hi-res matte display, is the best computer apple has ever made.
Perhaps, but it didn't sell well. I still use my 2011 model and it's been all over the world with me but it doesn't run macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and the fans drown out all noise when I run XCode.

Luckily, these days I don't really need a laptop but I might be tempted anyway if a 16" model came out with a great spec.
[doublepost=1558970435][/doublepost]
...what camera can't just be plugged in to download the photos?...
Life is too short for the speed at which most cameras download photos but - yes - a card adapter is no great burden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.