Will Apple Ever Get It Right?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apolloa, Nov 28, 2008.

1. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Well, I received my replacement Mac Book Pro on Wednesday after waiting nearly an entire month. The first one I sent back had a finger print smudge on the back of the glass and a streak on the LCD panel.
    The replacement I have received I was hoping would be fine, it is nearly. The case only has 1 tiny nick, good hinge, no wonkey key's, and an LG screen.
    BUT it also has a scratch on the LCD panel itself, or what looks like one, that's fine I can't see it with the screen in use however the thing also has a cluster of 4 dead pixels near the top middle of the screen.

Now I'm not a perfectionist but f*** me this laptop was built about 2 weeks ago and it STILL has defects. If it already has dead pixels and a scratch on the screen how long is the screen going to last? I only noticed the pixels tonight when trying the screen savers. I bet if half of you held your screens up at an angel in direct sunlight with the computer off you would find marks.

So again please can someone tell me how to try and get the pixels working?

Now before I call Apple and go crazy at them (I'll just send this back and get a full refund and give up), can anyone please point me in the direction of the programs you can use to try and fix the pixels please?

And before anyone say's I'm winging, I have now waited one and a half months, spent over $3000 and I still have a defected product which I am nearly happy to live with, IF I can get the dead pixels working.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If they're stuck (on a color) then you can fix them with a widget. If they're dead (black) you have to live with it. EVERY COMPANY HAS DEAD PIXELS. Apple is not special.

3. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would call Applecare immediately and push for another replacement. Why did you have to wait a month? I'd be in the closest Apple Store and asking for a manager.

4. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Because it was BTO web order, it took them nearly a month, well actually until I called them and asked where was it, for me to get it.

Anyhow, I've found the applet which fixes them, however due to the unique way the Mac desktop is made I can't move the window over the affected pixels. Can anyone tell me how to disable the menu bar at the top of the screen?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i suggest you stop complaining, go to the apple store and get a replacement.

apple has had it right since their first notebooks, but not EVERY laptop will be perfect. they are, after all, made by humans..

6. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Thanks for the comment, however A: this is my second laptop replacing my first defected one so I have little faith they have THESE ones right.
    And B it's a BTO so I HAVE to wait yet again probably till after Christmas for a replacement. When you order a BTO in the UK you don't have the luxury of walking into a store, and even then the nearest one is 60 miles away.

Anyway can the top bar be switched off at all?

7. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

you cant get the dead pixels to work.

apple should replace them.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

right, well you are in a bit of trouble. if you want your mac to be perfect then you will have to wait, im sorry but that seems like the only solution.

the top menu bar cannot be switched off, if you have an external screen you cann hook up use that, the menu can be moved onto the external screen when in 'extended desktop mode'.

9. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Thanks mate, that's worked a treat. I'm running the flashing pixel program now, hopefully it will work.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no problems, yea i hope it works fine for you.. goodluck with it.

11. Aranince macrumors 65816

Apple got my MBP perfect the first time. No dead pixels, no problems with crashing, no problems with the track pad, no problems with the bottom cover, nothing.

12. smacman macrumors 6502

And that is relevant to this thread how?? The poster has had quality control issues and you feel the need to gloat about how you lucked out with a good one? You have got to wonder if they even check these things before they leave the factory. I went through 4 damaged machines (scratched, dented, etc.) before I finally cut my losses and asked for a refund.

13. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Well I ran the little video that flashes between red blue and green for a few hours, about 3 or 4. Checked and it was still the same, the pixels are visible on a white background but not on a black background.
    I have another test that I will run later, currently in work. If I can fix em I'll be happy and keep it cause I can't see the mark on the LCD panel when it's on and it's small, non working pixels grind my gears though!

14. PDE macrumors 68020

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm also sorry to hear that Apple still has poor quality control. If you want a perfect computer, then maybe you have to be prepared for multiple replacement. Shouldn't be that way, but it often is.

I replaced numerous macbooks pros from the last generation and finally, after 12+ units I got one that's ok. Is it perfect? No, but I can't deal with the stress of constantly exchanging them. This one is fine, but I'd like a better display (this is the samsung one which is pretty good, but definitely not as good as the average cheapo PC screen I see in the store - some yellowing, contrast so-so and not great viewing angles) and I'd prefer if the aluminum didn't bulge out in places,and that the the hiss from the headset jack wasn't so horrible etc. But it's FINE, and I'm going to hold on to this one as long as I can because I simply hate dealing repairs/replacements.

If I were you, I'd ask for a replacement though - you wont' be happy with it otherwise. You may get lucky next time!

15. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

what widget is it?

Its only not relevant if you want to trash Apple's reputation. If you listen to everyone who bitches about "defects" on here it starts to sound like Apple has the worst quality products on the planet...yet the fact remains its only a small vocal minority. I didn't take that poster to be gloating, just sharing their experience. Its actually refreshing to hear *some* people receive perfect machines for a change.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

PixelFix. Worked for me.

17. Skengman macrumors member

Skengman

I bought my MBP 17" silver about 2 weeks ago. everything is fine. I'm not sure I believe you. Zippo lighters on the other hand, they are weak. I have bought 7 in a 4 month period, after about a week they stop working,
    . I can't work out whats wrong with them. They're supposed to be resilient

18. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Thanks

19. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Wish it was me with a perfect machine :( God damn Apple, the machine is brilliant and I love it, it's so much better then the last gen MB Pro. Just need a good screen. :(
    I have read on the web that Apple can be flexible so may give them a call. I'll try your widget first though. Thanks for that.

How long should you run the widget for? I'm guessing ovenight like 8 hours plus?

20. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Have you ever massaged that area of stuck pixels? Try pressing on that area and move your finger around of stuck pixels to see if it forces them back.

21. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

This is macrumors not a computer p0rn site =P. J.k, Yea I had a few dead pixels on my dell and by gently touching the area with the computer on it came back and has been working great ever since.

22. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

You crazy?!?! 8 hours no no no no no no... you run it until you see the pixel come back, if you run it 2 much you risk damaging your good pixels!

23. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Oh, Ok, I'm about to download the widget and run it. And the massaging the screen idea. To those of you who don't know, the new Mac Book and Mac Book Pro have GLASS screens, so this is not possible, would off tried it otherwise.

24. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

The glass is actually flexible enough to allow massaging the LCD. I found this out by accident. I still wouldn't recommend it, of course.

25. apolloa thread starter macrumors G3

apolloa

Not near the top I don't think it is, that's where my pixels are. That little widget hasn't done anything, yet.......