All iPads Will Apple ever make 16:9 for iPad/Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Badrottie, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I know iTunes movies come with SD/HD so why not iPad/Mini can have 16:9 screen for HD movies? :apple:

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

16:10 sounds more realistic, anyway i doubt the current ones will but if they were to do a 12inch+ iPad i can see it happening.

3. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Because it throws off the rest of the experience. I too have a huge HDTV with bars at the top and bottom.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

The one thing that sets the iPad apart hardware wise is the 4:3 display. It's the best experience for web browsing.

6. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

It's the best experience for web browsing and a lot of other things. Widescreen tablets are weird to hold and just aren't right. The portrait position is messed up too.... Just isn't right. Tablets should be 4:3 aspect ration and that's that.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Hopefully not. Movies are one use case, but there are million other uses where a 16:9 screen is just awful.

And then there's Apple TV, which lets me display 16:9 movies on my 16:9 TV, which has a much bigger screen and much better speakers than my iPad.

9. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Hopefully never. 4:3 is one of the reasons I use an iPad, I prefer to use it in portrait for the majority of tasks and having that wider ratio makes things a better experience for me. 16:9 only makes sense for movies and even then you will still get black bars in some movies.
    I do a whole lot more with my iPad than movies...

10. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

16:10 \ 16:9 was the worst adaption by the technology industry. It's great for TV viewing and horrible for everything else.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

16:9 is not even great for TV viewing. For people like me who watch classic TV shows (or any show pre-1995) we end up with "pillarboxing". And there are many movies both old and new that are wider than 16:9 and so letterboxing exists for those too. Some classic films are in Academy AR (4:3) so pillarbox exists too.

16:9 tablets are more difficult to hold... too narrow in portrait, too wide in landscape. In portrait, the tablet is taller than a comparably sized 4:3 iPad but because it is taller, the weight of the tablet puts additional strain on the wrist.

I love the hardware capabilities of the Surface 2, but the 16:9 AR makes it awkward to use as a tablet.

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

+1000.

13. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

The day Apple makes 16:9 iPad, it is the death day of iPad. It will be just other tablet, similar with bunch of Android tablet.

14. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Usability for tablets goes down with 16:9.

You get more screen content with 4:3, and it feels more ergonomic.

Apple got it right out the gate.

15. Skika macrumors 68030

I gave you a like, now you need another 998 to justify your post.

Good luck.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I agree. I've had various android tablets but I've never really used them for much more than watching videos. The aspect ratio is crap for anything but watching videos. I'd even give Apple he upper hand for watching videos due to their ecosystem, wider selection of films and TV shows, Amazon instant prime etc.

I use my iPad mini everyday for everything from web browsing, to apps, gaming, videos, shopping, reading, reminders, calculator, organiser etc

17. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I agree... 4:3 is much better than 16:9 for the user. One is left to wonder why the other tablet makers are using 16:9? Did they ever compare user experience with screens of different dimensions?

18. dazz87 macrumors 6502

then you should pick up a used CRT for your tv viewing.........

19. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I totally agree. It's a very nice piece of hardware with the totally wrong aspect ratio. Microsoft frustrates me to no end!

20. threelions macrumors regular

Hopefully not. The aspect ratio is one of the major reasons I pick Ipads over Android tablets.

21. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

You hate the iPhone then?

----------

It's because 4:3 is useless for allowing anything other than full screen apps.
    It's Apple's biggest problem
    Others are making tablets with various OS's that allow one full app and a narrow app, or some reduced view, perhaps a chat client and a web browser, or chatting and viewing photo's and then you can with your finger drag something from one pane to the other pane.

Realistically you are screwed from doing this is you stick to 4:3 and it's stopping Apple from advancing iOS any further.

If they did go 16:10 for example, then they could start to implement all manner of new exciting ways to use a touch based screen OS.

How long before they offer this, who knows.

22. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't hate it, but the 16:9 ratio does feel awkward at times. It's tolerable because the iPhone is small. If iPhone 6 is going to be bigger, do you think it could go back to the aspect ratio of earlier iPhones?

24. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The iPhone serves a different purpose and is used in a different manner than a tablet. Unless you are in the, "the iPad is nothing more than an oversized iPhone" camp.

iOS is not designed for full multitasking. Fundamental changes to the core of iOS are required to enable multi-window/app in the manner that you describe. That is a much larger issue than the aspect ratio.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, but it has to be accepted that it's probably not possible for Apple to advance iOS to benefit from improvements like that, which Android and Windows tablets can do (two apps side by side to some degree) without a shift in aspect ratio.

Either Apple are never going to move iOS on in this manner (and as CPU's get faster it's going to be more and more restrictive, when you have the power to do it) or you are going to have to alter the screen to allow for this.

As always, I see 16:10 as giving you MORE screen (but some still can't see it this way and feel it's taking screen away from 4:3)