Will Apple ever sell 2G refurbs again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jul 21, 2008.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Anyone think there is any possibility Apple will sell the old 2G iPhones? They must have some leftover stock or store models or something, no?

OR- does anyone think that Apple will update the Touch to include speakers and camera?

I really just want a touch with speakers and camera- no phone needed.

2. yode macrumors 6502

3. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

No point in putting a camera in the iPod touch. It's simply an iPod. Speakers would be cool to have but I highly doubt that will ever happen.

4. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Why not, they can easily turn profit on any stock they have available especially with 2.0+.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's not going to happen... They'd have to rip all the cellular technology out of the iPhone, the rebuild them as touches, which is uneconomical to say the least. Plus, Apple is sitting on billions in cash reserves, they don't need to bump the bottom line with franken-touches.

6. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

You didn't read the thread well enough. OP wants to buy the refurb phone and using it as a Touch.

My point is, why would Apple sit on old 2G stock when those are guarantee to sell.

Last but not least, cash reserves or not, this is about world domination like what MS did with Windows and what Apple is already doing with iPod. This isn't about money...

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, my bad, though the "I need a iPod with a camera with no phone" would imply that the OP would but an iPhone 2G sans phone functionality..

The same reason MS isn't selling XP anymore, even though it would pretty clearly sell. It's not about IF people are going to buy the product; I'm sure they don't want to be cannibalizing 3G sales w/ the 2G still being offered, many of the 2G need to be in stock to support the existing, in circulation 2G iPhones.

World domination? With 1 million sold within 3 days (took 2G 74 days to hit it)I don't think they're too worried, and if they were, they wouldn't have stopped producing 2Gs for 2 months...

8. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Once again you have missed the point. The question is, will they sell the "refurbished" model again?

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I didn't miss the point; I'm saying they're not going to do it.

No
    No
    - True, they have remaining stock for repairs, replacements.

No

You can buy a 2G online and simply not activate it...I have my 2G set up this way, and retain all functionality but cellular based.

10. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Your reasoning doesn't make sense and MS example doesn't apply here.

Refurbished 2G phones should not affect 3G sale and it won't. MS doesn't produce anymore XP, but there's no reason why they didn't unload XP stock before the announcement.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

News flahs, the original iPhone was a 1st gen that used 2.5G. No iPhone was made that only used 2G.

12. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Uh...ok, in that case, let me point out that you misspelled flash.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure what's confusing here. The OP asked if Apple would sell 2G phones anymore, which, in my opinion is not going to happen. With the exception of Sony and Nintendo, I can't think of many companies that simultaneously sell the previous and current product generations side by side. It certainly doesn't happen with iPods, MBPs, MacBooks, , Mac Pros, or any other hardware in the Apple line.

If Apple (MS) really wanted to continue selling the 2G (XP) they would have
    A) continued production of it, and B) continued retail support of it.

Instead, production of the 2G(XP) was halted in anticipation of the new 3G (Vista); knowing that customers would be confused about buying a new model (3G/Vista) when the model Apple(MS) had been toting as perfect(2G/XP) was still available. MS Did the EXACT SAME THING with XP when Vista was launched.

(shrugs) That's about it, if you're still confused I'm not sure I can help you.

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

The original iphones haven't been for sale as refurbs for a while. I'm guessing that there aren't many of them around anymore to bother selling them, though Apple likely does have plenty of originals (new and/or refurbs) on hand for warranty replacements.

Many criticized Apple for selling out of the originals early, but that allowed them to sell all of their old stock before the 3G came. And as a byproduct of several months of high demand with no supply, the world went absolutely nuts for the evolutionary 3G version.

15. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I guess you don't understand what "refurbished" means. Refurbished is not to manufacture new phone, it is simply to recondition a defective phone so it works as brand new.

Original question being rephrase is: Will iPhone once again decide to release their refurbed stock and sell them?

16. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

they have them only for first generation owners who have issues. I saw a case full of them at the Apple Store when they switched me out for a replacement.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

And I thought I was done...

If you read the OP, they pretty clearly state they desire an iPhone - the phone, or an iPod Touch + a camera. With a multi-year exclusive deal with AT&T, do you think that even if Apple somehow decided to sell refurbs they could get out of this? So in response to your illuminating rephrasing of the question, no, they won't. Oh, and thank you so much for explaining what a refurb is, I was mighty confused there for a minute.

18. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Yes...they'll sell them.

19. wonderbread57 macrumors 6502

Will people ever stop referring to 1st gen iPhones as 2G? "iPhone 3G" is what apple is calling their 2nd gen iPhone. There is no such thing as a "2G iPhone" and to make matters worse people refer to their 4G iPod to mean "fourth generation" so 2G means the 2nd gen which is this gen iPhone 3G omg (EXPLODES!)@!

20. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Well Apple does sell current generation and previous generation ipods side by side in the refurb area all the time. Right now they have current generation and previous generation ipod shuffels for sale on the refurb page and in the past i have seen all kinds of previous generation ipods for sale there. I think the only thing that would stop them from selling them as refurbs is they still have about 10 months left of warrenty to the last people that bought the 2.5G before 3G plus applecare people. They will need to keep a bunch ready for all the people who will need replacement 2.5G iphones over the next 2 years.

21. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

That's exactly my thought. There's no reason why they won't sell them if they have excess stock.

22. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

They have them, my wife just got a replacement last week, her battery was dieing over night with a full charge, the WIFI would not stay connected and would switch from egde to WIFI every couple of min and the screen would come on. We were bumed we thought we might have a shot at a 3G, but no. :cool:

23. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

hey tyler,

no point of adding wi-fi app store, and the other stuff since its what you call "simply an ipod"

I dont see whats wrong with a camera in the ipod. rumors going around that apple may introduce a HD base touch the all the iphone features minus the phone. and yes that includes GPS, Camera etc.

This iphone isnt reall considered a second generation. More like 1.5 Gen. When the iphone gets the features WE WANT then it will be a second generation phone

24. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

i dont realy know about the refurbs. BUT FOR GODS sake ITS A IPOD!!!! NO CAMERA!!!!

25. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

If it's just an iPod, why does it have email, web, maps, wifi, app store, games, stocks, weather?