Will Apple ever update iLife and iWork for OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dandeco, Mar 3, 2013.

1. dandeco macrumors regular

I have noticed that it's been two years now since Apple has released a new version of iLife for Mac OS X (iLife '11, that is.) Each iLife version from '04 to '06 was released in January of that year. The infamous iLife '08, however, was instead released in August 2007, and the next iLife version didn't come out until January 2009 (iLife '09, obviously.) Then Apple went with an October 2010 release for iLife '11, and there has since been no new version for Mac OS X; only iOS receiving iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand.

Even though iLife '11 works with Mountain Lion (provided the programs are updated for it), and is still included with every new Mac (except iDVD and iWeb), it won't be long before a new version is needed. This is what I think Apple would include in future versions of programs...

iPHOTO:
    I'm not sure... even though this is my most-often used iLife app, I can't think of what could be updated. Maybe the ability to go through and delete pictures on your camera or its memory card without importing them first (so you don't have to always do it with just the SD card slot.)
    More slideshow themes and book/calendar templates would be obvious.

iMOVIE:
    This is my second most-used iLife app of choice. For starters, I would add 3D video support, as a number of competing consumer video editors for PC like Pinnacle Studio and Cyberlink Powerdirector come with this.
    More themes and trailer templates would be an obvious candidate.
    I would also like to see more video and audio effects added, as the same 20 video effects are now four years old (even iMovie 3 and iMovie HD 6 had some new effects added), maybe even a "particle generator" feature like some modern Windows editors like PowerDirector and Roxio Creator have, this way you'd be able to make fog and rain effects again like the "classic" versions of iMovie!)
    I would definitely keep the ability to capture from DV and/or HDV camcorders. After all, Apple came out with a FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter, and many people still use FireWire camcorders.
    And of course, I would like to see them incorporate all of iDVD's features into iMovie, so you can burn DVDs right within the program. No more need for a separate DVD program! If Pinnacle Studio can burn DVDs within its program (and it makes pretty good DVDs too), then why not iMovie? It even has the chapter mark feature!

GARAGEBAND:
    I don't use this program that much, but from what I've seen it is pretty neat, and I've used it to make a few unique music pieces for my videos and for modifying MIDI files from old computer games.
    The latest features do seem rather minor, but from what I heard it's still pretty popular.

And then there's the possibility of creating NEW applications for iLife. Maybe a blogging program that is compatible with Blogspot, LiveJournal, etc. would be a nice idea, to compete with Microsoft's Writer program.

Maybe Apple could even discontinue iWork as a separate package and just include Pages, Keynote and Numbers as part of the new iLife? After all, it'd probably be essential for most new Mac users that don't want to shell out more money for Microsoft Office...

2. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

I got iWork '08 (on a CD) when I got my 2009 Mini. It came with Leopard which I updated to Snow Leopard a few months later. When I updated to Mountain Lion last August there were also updates to iWork.

Now Pages, Numbers and Keynote are sold separately at the App Store. Once you have them installed on your computer the updates come as they are released. I am not sure if there is the "family pack" that there used to be, which could be installed on several computers. Now I think you have to purchase a copy for each computer, but it is a once only cost. There has not been a whole new version for a while, and I doubt that there will be.

Apple seems to have moved away from the major revisions, identified by the year of release, that Microsoft continues with Office.

I guess it is the same with iLife

3. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Yeah, the current iLife apps are dated from 2011 (e.g. Pages '11), although to be fair, they have gotten a few minor (free) updates since.

I think it's similar to the Microsoft Office schedule, where Microsoft does NOT always update Office every year. They only do a full revision update (e.g. Office 2008, office 2011) like once every 2 or 3 years.

My guess is that Apple will likely do another full (revision) update sometime in 2013. My theory is that the Apple-Mac-iOS ecosystem has evolved dramatically since 2011 (e.g. iCloud introduction, iOS domination, etc), and that means Apple knows they are under pressure to release a new version of iLife to get in synch with the current ecosystem.

Does this mean I only want them to update iLife apps (e.g. Pages) to be 'updated' to the iCloud and the mobile environment? Nope. I would like them to update Pages (Mac) to be slightly more robust, maybe adding a few features that are taken for granted in Microsoft Word, but while still keeping the app's simplicity and clutter-free appearance.

4. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Seems to me....

that the new business model in Apple goes through online downloads, so I not see coming new boxed versions of iLife and iWork. iWork seems to me a worthy competitor for Office in the Mac platform. But iLife well can go the way of the dodo, letting individual apps to be marketed/downloaded/updated. Also, given the heavy load Apple does today in the cloud and iOS, I can see new versions of these packages having updates to exploit these environments.

:):apple:

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

That's precisely what is stopping me from purchasing the iWork's suite so far. I love the ios versions and am interested in working with the Mac versions as well for iCloud integration.

If they release a 2013 version, consider me sold. :)

6. dvoros macrumors 6502

iLife and iWork updates

I think its pretty sad. Its almost like Apple no longer cares about these programs. I think they would have us purchase new versions of MS Office and be done with it. They have reallllly slowed down on any new major releases of anything.:(

7. r0k, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I don't think you'll ever see another "pay" upgrade to iWork or iLife. The upgrades are free to registered users who purchased through the app store. If you have an old pre-app-store version, you will get limited updates and they might stop altogether after a certain point.

iLife used to come free with a Mac and included iWeb, iPhoto and GarageBand. Now you can get 2 of those 3 programs through the app store and iWeb is no longer sold. iWork used to come as a CD for $79 and a family pack for $129. Now you can get all 3 of its programs through the app store for about what they used to cost for the CD but you can now install them on any Mac you log in to.

I used to have a whole bookshelf devoted to boxes of software ranging from turbotax to ms office to OS X. Now I have half a dozen OSX rescue thumb drives (Lion and Mountain Lion) sitting in a drawer for those occasions where I want to "start from scratch" and everything else comes over the internet as a download. I like the new way better. My music CD's are down in the basement next to the 78 rpm records and buggy whips. So are my movie DVDs and Blu-rays. Isn't it time we put software CD's down there too?

I found a wikipedia article on iWork and while they omit a few versions since the move to the app store, I found it useful in confirming that iWork hasn't received a recognizable "upgrade" since 2009. I do consider the upgrades since it appeared in the app store to be valid. What MS calls an upgrade is often a downgrade in performance accompanied by more wasted disk space. I'm happy to see Apple get off of that bandwagon. How will Apple monetize iWork updates in the future? I'm not sure. Perhaps there will be in app purchases for new content or updates but I really don't want to go back to the bad old days of shrink wrap updates.

8. printz macrumors regular

They should implement autosave/versions, for one. Can't casually work with that if I constantly see a warning black ball on the close window button, and while apps like iWork and several of the good painting tools use the new file save model.

9. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

In some ways I can get along with this, in that once you have a paid for and registered copy of Pages, Numbers or whatever it is that you need, you automatically get the updates.

Where it breaks down for me and many others in my situation (an alien in a developing country) our internet access is slow, at best, and can be unreliable. I don't have a credit card, and cannot be bothered with the hassle of getting one, if the banks decide I am worthy, so don't have an app store account. Getting uprgades on a CD was much more convenient.

10. cpuin macrumors member

There is only one reason to NOT purchase iWork ( i currently use MS Office 2011) - that is because when editing .doc or .docx file you can't save changes in them but save to .pages file.If you have to save changes to the existing .doc file you should overwrite.

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Since the change to the App Store, all three iWork apps have received updates for Lion and then Mountain Lion. iPhoto has received an update to make it and Aperture have compatible databases. (The long-in-tooth Aperture has also received this update as well as some new editing functionality and was updated for Lion full screen). Updates to iPhoto and iMovie have *removed* compatibility with Snow Leopard -- it is important to have local backups of all apps downloaded from the App Store, or any other "cloud" source!

I only rarely use GarageBand but suspect there has been an update or two there as well. And, of course, iWeb and iDVD have been eliminated since they no longer fit with Apple's world-view.

I'm quite happy for all the free updates. Last thing I want to do is repurchase all my software every year, especially with the annual OS X release policy which will cause lots of annual app breakage.

----------

The reason for this is that you are not editing the DOC file but have imported it into a pages document. You can then export it to a DOC again if you wish.

I use Pages for documents I author and have no expectation of distributing other than as PDFs. When I collaborate, I always use Microsoft Word.

12. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I found a number of copies of iWork '09 on ebay. I wonder if Apple would still sell it in a region with poor internet infrastructure? It doesn't show up in the US Apple Store web site but I'd be curious if it shows up in your region.

While I prefer iWork, I get annoyed with this as well. I shouldn't have to pick "export" simply to save as the file format I just opened. For this reason, I have LibreOffice set as the default to handle MS Office format docs. I have a MS Office '11 DVD sitting on a shelf down in the basement next to the cat litter. I installed it once. I went through the MS activation bullcrap once. When I installed it, I found it had damaged fonts that LibreOffice relied on and I had to reinstall LibreOffice to get it working again. I had forgotten what it was like to have one program doodoo all over another program's resources... until I put MS software on my wife's Mac. :mad: When that HDD later got wiped, I somehow "forgot" to reinstall MS Office. She is happily making do with LibreOffice and iWork.

13. retroneo macrumors 6502a

I hope they don't add any more features to the Mac version until the iOS version becomes fully compatible with the Mac version's files. It's quite unbelievable!

Opening a Mac iWork file shouldn't destroy your document when you open it on iOS. Opening a Copy isn't a satisfactory solution for documents from iCloud's - you'll lose all the Mac.

iWork for iOS has been out since 2010!

14. Utterchaos23 macrumors member

Utterchaos23

As for iPhoto, I'd like to be able to tell it who was at an event after importing. This would stop it from recognising my long dead Nan at a night club I was at last week.

I have given the suggestion to Apple so I guess we'll see!

15. sean10350 macrumors newbie

Where's the new versions of iWork and iLife?

Apple has released new versions of iWork and iLife almost every year since 2005 and 2003 respectively. However, since 2009, with iWork 09 and 2010, with iLife 11, Apple has not released new versions of this software. Do you think Apple might release updates to the now outdated products, with iWork now being older than both Office 2010 and now Office 2013?

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

All parts of both packages are available on the App Store and updated. Will they be sold as a package again? I doubt it

17. Utterchaos23 macrumors member

Utterchaos23

They could really do with a nice new full release! I'm a huge iPhoto fan and have been waiting for AGES!

18. dvoros macrumors 6502

:apple:They need to do something positive. The company is now seen as stagnant, boring and dull. Have they given up on software? Have they given up on desktop personal computers for the EveryMan? If so, then please announce this to the world and then we can move on.:(

19. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

This a thousand times.

20. Utterchaos23 macrumors member

Utterchaos23

Any news or rumours on this yet? There's got to be something out there?

J

21. Utterchaos23 macrumors member

Utterchaos23

22. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

iWork was shown at WWDC and Beta version is being tested, there should be some info on apple.com.

it's browser based

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, though it would be nice to provide an OSX client version

~Mike

24. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

As a software developer, I wish I had more clients like you. I could just tweak the look and feel slightly, add no new features and add one to the version number, and you'd pay up.

How exactly are iWork and iLife "outdated"? They're both great software packages that work as well in 2013 as they did 3 or 4 years ago.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't speak for Pages, but for Numbers its outdated because its inferior in a number of ways to Excel. It lacks too many features that Excel has, including the number of formulas and functions.

All too often I get a warning when pulling in a spreadsheet from excel to Numbers that something had to be dropped because of compatibility issues.

I like numbers I think it produces a better more visually pleasing spreadsheet but it lacks the shear power and flexibility of Excel. Perhaps if apple chose to continue to hone this product these past few years we wouldn't be having this debate but they didn't.

Other applications work the way they did 2 or 3 years ago and people are leaving those apps because the competitors are improving them. Take Aperture (Which I use). Its received minor 3.x.x updates but nothing substantial. Its lost a lot of customers to LightRoom because Adobe continually improves and upgrades its products.

I'm not trying to derail the thread but show another example of
    why it works the same as it did 3 years ago" is an insufficient idea. If a company is not continually improving something they'll lose out to their competitors who are.