Will apple exchange 6.15.00 3gs under warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arram, Jan 4, 2011.

1. arram macrumors member

I have a 8gb 3gs under warranty with 6.15.00, has any 1 had success getting a replacement phone with this modem firmware?

2. CZK, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

Don't worry they are looking for this BB on every 3g or 3gs that they are being returned.

Imagine all the money Apple has saved voiding warranty from people like you.

I bet they are checking this even before water markers.

I say you have 5% chance to get it replaced if, and only if, you bring it not activated ( this way they wont be able to go to settings unless they plug it into their cpu).

3. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Did you not read the warnings of updating your baseband

"1. There is no way to come back down from 06.15, and there’s no hiding the baseband version from Apple. You’ll be voiding your warranty in a very obvious way.
    2. If some future baseband comes out with a critical fix, you won’t be able to update to it if it remains down in the 05.xx sequence (then again, you wouldn’t update to it if you wanted to keep your unlock anyway).
    3. Starting with FW 4.2.1 if you have 06.15 on your iPhone you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail). You’ll need to only restore to custom IPSWs (then again, if you’re unlocker you should already be doing that).
    Certainly don’t update to 06.15 if you don’t need to! Only do this if you need the unlock and you’re stuck on 05.14 or 05.15, and you’re willing to assume the above risks."

4. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

OP you can try it and it might work. But I sincerely doubt they are "checking" for it in the same way as CZK is claiming. CZK made it sound like they're conducting a manhunt for it.

Honesty goes a long way, tell them the story and they might change it out for you. Or try restoring your firmware. I think that would create a 1015 error and the phone would be forced into recovery. They might not be able to see the baseband, but if they plug it into BehaviourScan they will find it.

5. arram thread starter macrumors member

Well I bought it like that on craigslist and want to get a new one since its under warranty. The lock button can come off so I can just tell them that so they dont have to check the version since its not a software issue.

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Tell us again why you think you deserve a new phone? I would be very surprised to see this work.

7. arram, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011

arram thread starter macrumors member

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Don't listen to what CZK said.
    Bring it in and tell them it has a hardware issue.

9. The LPT, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011

The LPT macrumors regular

but you said it has the 6.15.00 baseband on it. Which means the warranty is now void. But if it's a hardware issue, you might be able to get a new one.

10. CZK, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

They dont care if its a hardware of software issue. By installing an ipad BB on an iphone you broke the warranty agreement and voided the warranty.

Officially and legally the answer is no. Now you can try returning it and you may be lucky.

Good job bringning no argument(s)

11. arram thread starter macrumors member

what would consist of a hardware issue?

12. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The hardware issue is that the lock button is malfunctioning.

13. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Well, a friend went to apple with that baseband and they changed it.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

15. arram thread starter macrumors member

i ended up selling it and getting one for 200 with 5.14 on it just in case. thanks for the replies

16. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

I dont recall you "bringning" any arguments in your first post either....

17. CZK macrumors 6502a

Because my post wasnt refuting anything said. Applejuiced only said dont listen to that guy without any argument.

Also, stated my argument 1 post later or so.
    Officially, installing an ipad baseband on an iphone violates the warranty agreement. You can't argue this.

18. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

As it may Void your warranty who are you to say, it defiantly will not work cause of his BB, yes he voided his warranty but it all depends on who he gets at the genius bar and how there day has been going for them

19. CZK macrumors 6502a

Thats why i say ''officially its voided'', the genius guy has the last word.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont need to bring up or argue about anything.
    Just telling him my opinion. Not every Apple rep will go looking for what baseband version each iphone is running on and if it matches the firmware. They will most likely look at the hardware defect and replace it.

21. FirePak macrumors regular

The few times I've needed an exchange the genius didn't even look at my hardware at all. One time the guy didn't open or touch the box I brought it in. I would say your chances are good and you wont have any issues at all. if you do have issues play dumb and say you bought it off craigslist that way and you had no idea their could be an issue. Im sure either way you will be fine.

22. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Wouldn't this actually present as hardware failure? I assume the first thing they would try is to restore it (assuming they tried anything at all). Does attempting to restore a stock firmware over this cause an error? I don't actually know as I have never (thankfully) had to do this.

23. Jinkst macrumors regular

You seriously think THAT MANY people would have done the JB via iPad BB upgrade in the first place AND then had warranty issues? It would be a very small amount and Apple wouldn't be out on a, as another poster described you as saying so perfectly, manhunt to catch people that had done it.

"Someone" walks in with a faulty mic but an iPad BB on their iPhone. Genius says the situation. "Someone" then walks out with exactly the same issue as before which they can get fixed through a repairer anyway for not too much and both someone and Genius go on about their daily lives.

Judging from the posts I've read of yours lately on these forums you've either got a God complex or you think every other poster on here is a moron.

24. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Are apples warranties and AppleCare transferable? What I was thinking is they won't support the guy that buys something off CL