will apple fix my unibody macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macdaddy458, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Macdaddy458 macrumors newbie

my macbook mid 2010 has cracks all over the place will they fix it like they did for my crackbook

Attached Files:

2. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

If you have apple care, it should be free, if you don't have apple care be prepared for them to attack the wallet, crack fixes need a whole new plastic body.

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

For a while there was a program where they would replace cracked top cases (the part with the keyboard) within 2 or 3 years of purchase. Some people who went in for that repair got lucky and Apple replaced other parts (I think a few people got screen bezels replaced for free).

I don't know if (1) the program is still going on or (2) if they would also replace the bottom case.

No harm going to the Genius Bar and seeing what they can do.

Good Luck!!!

4. LadyLavaLamp macrumors newbie

You'll need a girl

You can fix it by using O.P.I clear nailpolish. I'm too poor to afford a new unibody, but goddamnit i'll never be poor enough to have rusty nails.
    It's not a permanent fix, but it will stop the cracks from becoming any worse and from feeling jaggedy.
    3 coats should do er' - just let them dry completely between each set.

5. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

Wow, that is FUBAR.

Time to chop the old girl in?

6. Lord Xeb macrumors member

The rear display housing, if I am not mistaken, could be covered as it is a known issue. The top case is not something that can be covered as it is from abuse.

PM me and I can speak to you about it further. <-- I work for an AASP.

The cracking on the top cases was for the non-unibody machines the chipping around the edges of the top case was a manufacture defect.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

They theoretically should. Cracks are part of the repair criteria, assuming you didn't cause the crack.

8. Lord Xeb macrumors member

I have tried getting things covered fors in regards to cracks in the top cases of the unibody machines, but I was not able to. Because of the damage around the magsafe and ethernet port, they will not cover the top case.

As for the rear display housing, I have heard somewhere that they are replacing those because the cracks are caused by stress exherted by the hinges.

9. asj08 macrumors newbie

i know this thread's a bit old, but wondering if the OP ended up getting that unibody macbook fixed? If so, did they do it for free?

Mine is cracked in the same place on the side. Thanks!