Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I'm having the same problem occasionally. This isn't a fix, but in the meantime you don't have to keep entering your password. Cancel that box, hit the home button, and switch over to WiFi settings. Turn WiFi off completely (big blue switch-like button), then back on, it tries again with your saved password. That seems to be the fastest way to reinitialize the thing.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
*sigh*

I know a small percentage claim to have problems and blame the iPad when the issue most likely lies with the router. That's why I wrote "What WiFi issue".
Ive tried 3 routers. A airport express, a linksys and a AT&T and had no luck with any of them. So your saying all 3 routers are defective in some way? Common man, give me break.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
Ive tried 3 routers. A airport express, a linksys and a AT&T and had no luck with any of them. So your saying all 3 routers are defective in some way? Common man, give me break.

I would exchange it then. I am one of those that is not having an issue in multiple places. So I would say if you think it is the unit and not the router settings or firmware exchange it.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I would exchange it then. I am one of those that is not having an issue in multiple places. So I would say if you think it is the unit and not the router settings or firmware exchange it.

It's on it's way back to apple as we speak. Maybe the next one will be fine, it better be that's all I know.

Dr Gonzo

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010

I don't know if the routers are defective or if you lack the knowledge on how to set them up properly? All I can say is this: I don't have any problems with my iPad, nor does my friends.

Why don't you just go to the store and replace the iPad with a new one?

Edit: Did not see your post regarding the exchange.

aaron580

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Does beestbuy take back ipads with wifi problems? My 64 does it all the time and its getting old.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I don't know if the routers are defective or if you lack the knowledge on how to set them up properly? All I can say is this: I don't have any problems with my iPad, nor does my friends.

Why don't you just go to the store and replace the iPad with a new one?

Edit: Did not see your post regarding the exchange.
I am a computer programer. Computers are pretty much my life, I also have a masters degree in computer science so I'm pretty sure I know how to set up a wireless network. I've only been doing it for 10 years or so. Nice try though, what's your next excuse going to be?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I am a computer programer. Computers are pretty much my life, I also have a masters degree in computer science so I'm pretty sure I know how to set up a wireless network. I've only been doing it for 10 years or so. Nice try though, what's your next excuse going to be?

Besides, aren't Apple products be supposed super easy to use? :D

virx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
I'm using WPA2 and have the same issue, so it's not a "WEP" issue per se but it may be a general encryption issue that's not seen when using an open (unencrypted) wifi network.

using WPA2 encryption, no problems at all here. Never had to retype my wifi password yet. I did see "connecting" message a few times when I went to backyard, but it did not ask me for password, just reconnected itself. I agree with others, you should use WPA or WPA2 if your router and devices support it, WEP is too insecure.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Apple should've just made each iPad model with the 3G plastic strip at the top, I'm sure it will get much better reception compared to the WiFi only model with no plastic strip.
Um, the WiFi antenna is behind the Apple logo. The 3G module is at the top of the board (right corner, if I remember correctly). So, the 'open band' at the top wouldn't help WiFi much, if at all.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
From my experience as an Electrical Engineer and years of experience supporting my company's users' cell phone population (for what's it worth), I'm thinking this all is hard to troubleshoot. Any WiFi technology, especially when you do *NOT* restrict it to (say) Apple Airport Extreme WiFi Access Points, is going to end up with a mess. And here we are, with a number of iPad users having issues.

My WiFi iPad has had no problems with an AEBS and also at work with HP Enterprise Access Points (but, note they are only G!), but I don't doubt all the issues everyone's having. It's a mix of what encryption, what band (N, G,.. ), multi-band, etc., and the hardware in place.

I started off 18 months ago with a Verizon FiOS Actiontec Router. My iPod touch wouldn't connect reliably. I suffered until I got an iPhone last summer (3GS). It also sucked connecting to WiFi. At that point, I got really pissed. After researching various Windows WiFi routers and access points, which all had middling reviews, or sucked, I said F this, and got an Airport Extreme. Instantly my Macbook, iPod touch, iPhone, and (now) my iPad all work perfectly Note that my Dell (sorry) also works perfectly.

So, perhaps the moral of the story is: Apple implements WiFi properly?

jim.arrows

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
using WPA2 encryption, no problems at all here. Never had to retype my wifi password yet. I did see "connecting" message a few times when I went to backyard, but it did not ask me for password, just reconnected itself. I agree with others, you should use WPA or WPA2 if your router and devices support it, WEP is too insecure.

As stated, i'm using wpa2 and having the issue. I'm the one who told the others that wpa2 is preferred...

jim.arrows

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
So, perhaps the moral of the story is: Apple implements WiFi properly?

An illogical conclusion given the number of people on record as saying that everything else on their network works fine but everyone having the issue is having it with an Apple branded device... Perhaps in this case it would be more logical to conclude that Apple has a slight issue with their drivers on this Rev. A hardware interoperating with certain router chipsets and that they'll likely fix it with a driver update shortly?

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
An illogical conclusion given the number of people on record as saying that everything else on their network works fine but everyone having the issue is having it with an Apple branded device... Perhaps in this case it would be more logical to conclude that Apple has a slight issue with their drivers on this Rev. A hardware interoperating with certain router chipsets and that they'll likely fix it with a driver update shortly?

I think that is most certainly the case. I expect we will all be seeing a 3.2.1 update addressing this issue in the near future. Additionally, I'm on a dual band Airport Extreme with separate SSIDs for my 5GHz N network. I've noticed that our iPads have a link speed listed at 39Mbps even though they should be listed much higher (ie our iPhones on the G band are listed at 54Mbps in airport utility). This along with what others have reported seems to suggest the issue is with the iPads wireless card drivers It seems like apple definitely has to address the issues all of us are seeing with WiFi which will likely be the case in the next software update.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
But how many people are having the issue when they are using Apple Access Points (Airports)?

I'm not saying they should be this restrictive, but they could be implementing WiFi the 'right' way. Of course, also, we've not heard of issues with MBPs, so you'd also think WiFi wouldn't change from MBP to iPad.... beyond issues like signal strength weakness because the antenna is 'flat on the table' behind the logo, it's strange the iPad is different.

You'd think between the MBP and the iPhone, the WiFi code would be locked down by now!

jim.arrows

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
But how many people are having the issue when they are using Apple Access Points (Airports)?

I'm not saying they should be this restrictive, but they could be implementing WiFi the 'right' way. Of course, also, we've not heard of issues with MBPs, so you'd also think WiFi wouldn't change from MBP to iPad.... beyond issues like signal strength weakness because the antenna is 'flat on the table' behind the logo, it's strange the iPad is different.

You'd think between the MBP and the iPhone, the WiFi code would be locked down by now!

I'm personally using a Mac Mini (HTPC), Macbook Pro, 2 AppleTVs, and the iPad, plus a bunch of non-apple devices (2 slingboxes, Wii, x360, ps3, wga600 wireless bridge). The iPad is the only device having an issue. And yes, one would think they'd have the whole wifi thing sorted out at this point, which is why I suspect it's a driver issue with the new hardware in the iPad. Apple has had more than its fair share of wifi issues in the past, especially with the macbooks & macbook pros a couple of years ago; they seem to have gotten that sorted out recently, but their history on this isn't exactly stellar... far from it, in fact.

As to your first question, nolesfan a few posts above states that he tried it with an Airport Express, and I believe I've seen a few others posting issues with Apple routers. Again, I think they'll get this sorted out quickly and I don't really blame them for having an issue with Rev. A hardware, but I will be returning it if they don't fix it. Fortunately I've got 45-days returns at Bestbuy with no restocking fee, so I can kind of wait and see (and also upgrade when the 3G comes out, just as a means to eliminate a hardware problem), but if this is still an issue at the end of my "eval" period I'll just return it and wait for v2.0.

Dr Gonzo

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010

I'm not "trying" anything, I just asked you a question, and obviously a sensitive one?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Um, the WiFi antenna is behind the Apple logo. The 3G module is at the top of the board (right corner, if I remember correctly). So, the 'open band' at the top wouldn't help WiFi much, if at all.

You're missing the point, it would help greatly, the antenna wires would just be longer, and the 3G plastic strip at the top won't block near as much signal compared to WiFi only model. All they'd have to do is place the wifi board up top instead of in the middle of the aluminum case.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
It doesn't seem like a coincidence that everyone who is having a problem either has a misconfigured dual band router or an ISP provided wireless router.

I have a Netgear "Open Source" G router running DD WRT. 8 devices connecting. Not a single problem at all.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
This is how I fixed (more like a workaround) my iPad WFi issues......

So I keep getting prompted for my WEP key, and my wifi connection keeps dropping. Up until now I felt I had to put my WEP key back in. However, I found if I just hit the lock key, and the do the slide to unlock, it seems to fix it. I do not have to put my WEP key back in (until next time). This also seems to work when my wifi connection just drops. Lock key, slide to unlock....working again.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
It doesn't seem like a coincidence that everyone who is having a problem either has a misconfigured dual band router or an ISP provided wireless router.

I have a Netgear "Open Source" G router running DD WRT. 8 devices connecting. Not a single problem at all.

It does seem like the WiFi problems are related to the routers used. If that's the case why would Apple provide a "fix" ? Seems like that might go back to the router manufacturer for a fix. I've had no problems connecting with Apple's router and a friend's linksys.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio

No problems for me using Airport.

ippikiokami

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010

There are so many apple apologist on here it's amazing.

I mean if an iPhone CAN connect and a iPad CAN'T.. Even if the router does some voodoo magic that happens to be wrong Apple should have accounted for it! Obviously they can account for it in other apple products?

Most of the people who have complained have tried every which way to try to get it setup. If everything else in their house works why oh why would you blame the router? I don't have this problem myself but if I did I would return it until I know it's fixed. It's something crucial to the functionality and enjoyment of the iPad. Even all the other work arounds to get it to work are a little ridiculous to have to go through. (change brightness... the lock unlock deal... Changing from an accepted though less secure form of encryption that is supported to others including the iphone)

I mean isn't not dealing with stuff like this part of the reason we choose apple over competing products in the first place?

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
It does seem like the WiFi problems are related to the routers used. If that's the case why would Apple provide a "fix" ? Seems like that might go back to the router manufacturer for a fix. I've had no problems connecting with Apple's router and a friend's linksys.

It's better PR for Apple to fix it. Because as this forum demonstrates, even though the iPad isn't at fault, people are blaming it and Apple. If Apple just sits back and says "not our fault" then it will look bad on them. Not only that, but experience with router manufacturers leads me to believe they'll do everything they can to blame everyone else and their brother before they take responsibility for themselves. So, in the end, its basically better for Apple to just do it themselves, whether its their fault or not.

There are so many apple apologist on here it's amazing.

You obviously haven't read my other posts here! haha. I'm no Apple apologist at all. I just love my iPad.

I mean if an iPhone CAN connect and a iPad CAN'T.. Even if the router does some voodoo magic that happens to be wrong Apple should have accounted for it! Obviously they can account for it in other apple products?

Things like that happen. I had a wireless router that worked great with a DSL modem. I switched over to cable and the router would lose the connection multiple times per day. I had the same logic that a lot of people here had, in that "it worked before why doesn't it work now!?". Sometimes problems don't always show up the way you expect them to. I swapped out that router with one running DD WRT and I had no problems at all until I got the router I have now, which also runs DD WRT and it runs without a hitch either.

Most of the people who have complained have tried every which way to try to get it setup. If everything else in their house works why oh why would you blame the router?

Because ISP provided wireless routers are junk. I know people with Verizon FiOS routers that have major issues getting online. Verizon swapped it out many times until I came along and gave them the advice to get the regular wired modem and get their own wireless router. Problem solved.

It's just the way wireless routers are. If you're cheap and go with the ISP provided one then you're just asking for problems.

I mean isn't not dealing with stuff like this part of the reason we choose apple over competing products in the first place?

If you buy Apple products with the impression you won't be dealing with those sorts of problems then you should get away from ISP provided routers too. In my experience, whenever someone is having internet connectivity issues, unless theres a wiring problem, it's almost ALWAYS the ISP provided wireless router. I've lost count of how many times and people I've had to fix this sort of thing for and every single time it was the ISP provided router.

Eric-PTEK

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
There should be no return fee to take back your iPad, BB or not.

Your iPad does not work, giving you another iPad will not fix the issue since it is an iPad issue.

I would not pay the restock fee and if they fight you take it up with your CC company for them refusing to take back a defective product.

I've had issue here and there and I have a $1,400 WAF/router/AP combo, going to blame it on the 'cheap' setup?

When every device except one works, it is that device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.