Will Apple include an optical drive in the new iMacs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sue De Nimes, Jun 8, 2012.

?

Will there be an optical drive in the 2012 iMacs?

Poll closed Jun 11, 2012.
  1. Yes

71.8%
  2. No

28.2%
  1. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

Just a quick poll.

Not "do you think there should be an optical drive" rather do you think there will be an optical drive in the new iMac range?

2. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

3. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

I think it'll be removed if they are redesigned, not if they are simply refreshed with the same case. I think this round will be a refresh instead of a redesign, so the ODD stays.

How's that for a thin thread of logic? :p

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Pretty much the same thread that I used :)

5. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

6. hatem ben arfa macrumors newbie

I think they will, but I don't really care either way. If it leads to improvements, I'm all for it.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Where's the "I don't care" option? Frankly, I hate the side loading optical in the iMac. I had a 2009 iMac and ended up just buying an external drive (got a blu-ray burner while I was at it) and hooked it up via USB so I could more easily get to it. Saddest part, is that other than ripping DVD's and Blu-ray's, it was rarely used for anything else.

So again, I don't care.

8. Sue De Nimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

10. jgc macrumors regular

I think it has to stay. I understand getting rid of the ODDs for laptops but I think desktops/real workstations still need optical drives. Losing a few mm/few fractions of a lb is significantly less important for a stationary device and it lets people who don't have an ODD on their laptop (MBA, possibly MBP?) have access to them without buying an external drive.

11. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Agreed. It will be a gradual shift away from optical drives, not one big Mac refresh.

12. leman macrumors 604

I'd rather it dissapear. But I don't believe that there will be any iMac redesign at all.

13. TopB macrumors member

14. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Taking it away would be very poor business decision for apple.I use it all the time to burn my cds to itunes.i would never have bought my first imac two years ago if it did not have an optical drive.

15. TVreporter macrumors member

TVreporter

Wirelessly posted

This will be my first iMac so
    I hope they don't ditch it.

16. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

I hope they replace it with a Floppy Drive! Something just as useless.

Spend $30 and buy an external. Let everyone else enjoy a thinner iMac. If you Havnt converted over your CDs to MP3s by now you probably never will.

17. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I think the optical drive on the MacBook Pro will be gone. If not now, before the desktops. Reason is it'll make it lighter and add more room for a larger battery or something.

I barely use my optical drive; so far only for software instillation and reading some old CD/DVDs I've had laying around. Not saying there currently no use, but including them may be a thing of the past. Besides if you NEED one, you could just buy an external one.

18. edoates macrumors 6502

Actually, those who care anything about sound quality convert them to FLAC or ALC; and to get decent sound quality, unless an uncompressed version is available on line, you must by CD's or DVD-A (which is pretty much dead ...).

External stuff scattered all over your desk negates one of the big reasons for iMac: it's all inside the screen container, and certainly with the 27" screen, there is enough internal real estate and thickness so that an optical drive shouldn't be problem. Maybe it will be optional, though.

But Apple has been way ahead of the curve in the past, and with the apparent demise of DVD-SP as a product (you need get it from FCS 3 - not part of the FCP X suite), it seems that Apple may be headed that way.

19. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I'm all for ditching it in the macbook pro, but there's nothing to gain taking it away from the iMac. It already accounts for such a small portion of space inside the iMac and its not like the space is needed for something else. I think it will be a very long time before they drop the optical drive.

20. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

Is that a bad thing that there won't be a redesign? I don't really see what else Apple could do with the iMac to make it better, it's a gorgeous design.

21. leman macrumors 604

No, I as well believe that the current design is more than ok. What could use a redesign is the MBP, to make it a bit lighter, but to be honest, I won't be disappointed if their design also stays the same.

I honestly have no idea why people are so hyped over unrealistic expectations (like the lol retina) and redesigns. If its not broken, don't fix it.

22. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

I never got the Retina rumors either, I don't see that happening tomorrow.

I think the iMac and MBP could use tweaks but nothing drastically different. Smaller bezel, lighter, thinner, etc.

23. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

How do you people watch your DVDs on the road? I must be missing a memo somewhere.

24. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Taking away the Optical drive would create many unanticipated problems and be overly constrictive.

25. boto macrumors 6502

boto

I highly doubt they will remove the optical drive on a real desktop computer... If they plan on doing so, I better see some good use into that space with dual raid HDD + SSD or something. They might even increase the power supply and cooling system to maximize the GPU's potential (AMD 7970m/Nvidia GTX 680m).